Where can I buy a JRC741 opamp??

Started by foos-it, January 15, 2011, 07:28:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

foos-it

I'm thinking about building a DOD 250, and I can't find anyone selling the 741 opamp. I checked Small Bear and Pedal Parts Plus, any other suggestions???

Foos-it

avianoguitarist

smallbearelec

Hi--

JRC would be the version of that chip made by New Japan Radio. The 741 was made by just about every chip-maker, and any will work.

petemoore

That is the one and only chip.
  All others are far enough 'above' from the lowly 741 performance to make any build sound less than Dist/250 like.
  This is good news for anyone caught between the TL072 and teh venerable 4558/4559 type chips and anything else called 'dual' in the TS  ;D.

Convention creates following, following creates convention.

edvard

Yes, the original 741 was quite amazing for it's time, but the original circuits were fabbed on equipment that was far cruder than the nano-scale manufacturing processes used today, which may contribute to the "Mojo" of the original chips, maybe not.
All that aside, a 741 is a 741 for the most part.
It may be manufactured on modern equipment, but the actual circuit, frequency response, slew rate, maximum gain and a few other key ingredients MUST be within spec or it's just not a 741; it's a LM324 or OP07 or something...

If you want to get REAL mojo, try to get your hands on an original Fairchild or Signetics uA741 in a metal can:  :icon_cool:

J/K... Seriously, most 741's will probably work.
Get a few different types and see how they do.

All children left unattended will be given a mocha and a puppy