Noob problems - Der HardOne kit, Das Musikding

Started by evirob, January 17, 2011, 10:46:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

evirob

Hi all,

Total noob here, this is my first diy pedal attempt.

I bought the HardOne kit form Das Musikding and I'm having a bit of trouble with it. Basically, it's not working. If I connect it to a guitar and amp, a signal passes through somehow, but neither the pot nor foot switch have any effect, and the LED does not come on. It seems to be stuck in bypass - it sounds exactly the same as the guitar plugged straight into the amp. Does this sound like a fault with the way I've wired the switch, or perhaps the switch itself? I don't know much about electronics, so since it hasn't worked first time, I don't know where to go next.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
Chris

deadastronaut

yep!...it could well be the switch wiring ....but also...study the layout diagram....

check your diodes and caps are round the right way too...positive/negative orientation.

also the transistor in the right way........and the led.... double check everything....good luck! :icon_cool:

oh and welcome!.. :icon_mrgreen:
https://www.youtube.com/user/100roberthenry
https://deadastronaut.wixsite.com/effects

chasm reverb/tremshifter/faze filter/abductor II delay/timestream reverb/dreamtime delay/skinwalker hi gain dist/black triangle OD/ nano drums/space patrol fuzz//

jefe

Some close-up photos of your work would help, especially of the switch.

evirob

@deadastronaut, thanks for the suggestions. I believe my caps and diodes are all the right way round. I'm pretty sure the transistor is the right way round too - but I did try it both ways, and wonder if this damaged it?

@jefe I will post some photos tomorrow.

Thanks again for both replies.

MmmPedals

Those pics look like it wired correctly. You should verify that the switch is working.
If you understand how the switch works you could use a continuity tester (or MM) to check it. If not just ask!
You can also try bypassing the switch completely to see if the circuit is working. Just wire Input jack>In on PCB and Out on PCB> Output jack and make sure the ground lug from both jacks are connected (either directly or through the board.
Good Luck

ppatchmods

try swapping your tip out and board out. it looks like they might be in the wrong spots.
When your life is over, will any of this STUFF really matter?

evirob

Ok, the circuit is working, I bypassed the switch as suggested by @MmmPedals. I guess I've either wired the switch wrong or it's faulty - but at least the circuit works!
Thank you for all the tips guys, I'm pretty sure I can get it going from here.

Chris