Would 60's/70's car radios contain parts I could use to experiment with pedals?

Started by kimelopidaer, January 19, 2011, 01:42:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kimelopidaer

I've just been given four. One has tubes for sure (12x4) and the rest are transistor.

I'm beginning to experiment with circuits in a breadboard.

Manny

Hi,

Some of the transistors could certainly come in handy. Have you begun to de-solder any yet?
Let us know what's in there, maybe some gut shots?  :)

Manny

kimelopidaer

Ok
I will take a few of the best pictures and post them in a day or two

petemoore

Any tube output works like tube output.
 I have 12x4 working unit upstairs [IIRC] someone changed the caps and let me pick it up. I put IEC=Ground chassis and Connectors on it, fired it up and it hums. Has AC supply though, layered-cobweb-of-hanging-garden circuit design.
 If it's a 'car' unit, that implies is 12vdc supply intention, running from a DC-Cell..seems like it'd allow very minimal B+ filtering, which should be taken into account if alternate PS is used.
  If using AC/DC conversion for the power supply, IEC it. Test that the chassis/earth is actually like bolt/lock-eyelet connected to actual Earth ground.
 Check for non-short then connect DC to the supply rails [observe/obey polarity], use a ~HD battery [to supply the needed current].
 Measure the current draw, will be much higher at tube start up, that'll take a 'gnaw' out of a wimpy powr suply every time too, you might not even get away with it many times.
 Then if it's working fine for a few good whiles [ie..how to lo-tech-pre-test a tube amp, try it while it's self-heating completely, check, check to see no redplating], and then it either sounds great and/or you then Have to mess with it anyway...
 Perhaps attain a more suitable power supply when the battery holds up the DC voltage for only so many whiles.
 Since I mention PS:
 TDSL the tubes, [don't overvoltage the capacitors] but consider the tubes are able to run within their parameters [AC/DC conversion rate, and PS loading/voltage drop etc.] before choosing an operating voltage.
 Then you will have to find 'the' speaker, and probably need or have a good one anyway so it's cool. Try selections if you can access pulls from old consoles, perhaps auto-speaker, the tone/effeciency may vary greatly.

Convention creates following, following creates convention.

newperson

Look them up for value.  Car collectors buy vintage radios for old cars.  They are more than likely worth more selling them for the 1-2 parts you might get out of them.  Then you can take that money and get whatever parts you are really looking for.