Modded Fab Echo

Started by Nalo1022, January 31, 2006, 01:49:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

theblueark

I traced and "hacked" my way through the various mods on the effects, like turning them always on. So unfortunately I don't have a schematic of them.

QuoteThat's really great. What I would be interested in doing would be separating the delay from the dry signal in the Fab Echo, running the delay through a Fab Chorus in the same enclosure, and then mixing the chorused delay back in with the dry signal. Anyone have a clue how to separate the delay from the dry in the Echo?

I actually have something very similar, my "secret weapon" on my pedalboard. It's a Korg digital delay unit where I run the delayed signals through a Fab Flange before they get mixed with the dry. With the Fab Flange board housed together inside the delay enclosure. Man I love modulated delays.

xcronodogx

Hi, I just finished modding my echo, but I was wondering where is the 15k resistor thats to be relaced with a 10k resistor located? I looked at the schematic forthe rebote, but I cant locate it. Ill post pictures of the housing I just built. I designed it to be more of box thats designed to me played with rather than a stomp box. Thanks!

unknowndude

Quote from: theblueark on July 18, 2007, 12:03:34 PM
I traced and "hacked" my way through the various mods on the effects, like turning them always on. So unfortunately I don't have a schematic of them.

QuoteThat's really great. What I would be interested in doing would be separating the delay from the dry signal in the Fab Echo, running the delay through a Fab Chorus in the same enclosure, and then mixing the chorused delay back in with the dry signal. Anyone have a clue how to separate the delay from the dry in the Echo?

I actually have something very similar, my "secret weapon" on my pedalboard. It's a Korg digital delay unit where I run the delayed signals through a Fab Flange before they get mixed with the dry. With the Fab Flange board housed together inside the delay enclosure. Man I love modulated delays.

I am on the last step of my rehouse, and I am stumped. How do you get this darn thing to be always on? (inside the true bypass of course) I have tried jumpering the switch like dano suggested, but then it decides to be "always off"

theblueark

This is what I do:

Step 1: Look for the flip flop IC on the effect.
Step 2: Search for the datasheet on the IC
Step 3: See which pins Q and Q' are, as well as Vcc and Gnd.
Step 4: Get a solid core jumper wire, touch Q to Vcc/Gnd, see if and which one turns the circuit on. Else try for Q'.
Step 5: Once the circuit is on, hold the wire at those points, turn off the power supply and turn it on again (you'll wish you have another hand). See if the circuit comes up ON when powered up. Else go back to Step 5 and try again.

This is the easy way to do it without having to trace anything on the circuit board.

unknowndude

Will do. If I remember, there's two or three ICs on the main power/switching board. I will be back if I can't figure out which is which.

I am glad that with all the FABs besides the echo I can just get rid of the big board entirely, I don't think the overdrive or distortion need the buffer. Then again, if I do rehouse the other ones I'm not even going to bother with TB, just new pots and jacks.

kismet78

Quote from: chris_d on July 15, 2007, 10:52:45 PM
I did a similar mod to its bigger brother, the Dan Echo that has been a lot of fun to play with. In the Dan Echo the resistor that needs jumpering is R10.

I did some quicky clips of it a while back that are here: http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=695366

Just click the "hi-fi" button on the last two Dan Echo files to stream them, or download the mp3s. The first clip is some oscillation, the second is some circuit bending with the pedal. That thing has some pretty wild noises in it. :D

-chris

Chris - Thanks for the Dan Echo suggestion. I just did the R10 jumper mod and this pedal is sooo much more fun now.

chris_d

Quote from: kismet78 on November 09, 2007, 02:12:41 AMChris - Thanks for the Dan Echo suggestion. I just did the R10 jumper mod and this pedal is sooo much more fun now.

Cool! I agree, it makes it more of a fun toy to have, and the regular delay ability doesn't appear to be affected at all, so there really is no reason i can see not to do it!

And i see you had a couple of resistors there. They may have done a couple of different things with that resistor location, i think. The pedal i had(new) actually had two resistors in series in that spot.

As you can see i uglied-up the board a little, pulling out other components to experiment! Those silly pots do not like being removed! Even worse, i ended up deciding to put them back in, after all. :icon_rolleyes:

Have fun!

-chris

meffcio

Hi, it's an old topic but... When you do the 'delay time pot' mod, could you tell me what are the 'time' and 'repeats' setings for getting some sort of a reverb?

earthtonesaudio

Time: very short
Repeats: fairly long

CodeMonk

This is a nice little a low cost delay pedal with the mods.
What I would like to add, would be a momentary switch (still keeping the regular switch) so that the dealya would only be active when its held down.
I started by tracing the regular switch, but then got sidetracked to other projects.

Has anyone tried adding a momentary switch to this effect yet?
Or any tips on adding one?

seibertdr

Quote from: Dave_B on June 08, 2006, 06:13:09 PM
Processaurus (or anyone who knows), is there a trick to removing the effect board?  I unscrewed everything, but I'm a little reluctant to start prying.  Here's a pic of the echo board.  I tried to compress it for the dial-up folks.

I see in your pictures where the pot needs to go but I am confused as to where the wires go. On Beavis's website, it looks like one lead goes to the leg of the IC and the other lead goes to another part of the board. Thank you for your help.
Mesa RK II
Ibanez RG570
Ibanez AR-300
Schecter Hellraiser
Gretsch G5120
Guitar>Bad Horsie wah>FullDrive 2>Boss OD-2>EHX POG2>Ernie Ball Volume>Amp
M9 in loop

earthtonesaudio

One lead goes to pin 6, the other goes to ground, and remove the 6.8k resistor while  you're at it.
The ground connection for the pot can be any of the available ground areas on the board, it doesn't have to go where the surface mount resistor was.

Renegadrian

Resurrecting an old topic cause I just received a Fab Echo and modded it in a hurry. It took longer to unscrew it! It now has the delay pot (50kB) and it works so good, similar to a regular rebote (the chip is the same as we all know)

I read a lot about the mods here and on the net, but still can't understand if/how can it be turned to be completely TRUE BYPASS - Is it possible to get rid of the switching board or it serves as in/out buffer as the tl072 in the rebote? Can I just use the wires coming from the FX board and use the regular DPDT TB wiring!?
Done an' workin'=Too many to mention - Tube addict!

Renegadrian

I just tried to hook it up on the fly on a DPDT typical TB wiring. As mentioned in another post, wires are
white:  Input
coax shield: Ground
Yellow: Out
Red: +9v

It works but only the wet signal is coming out! if you turn the mix pot at zero you have no signal.

Quackzed

iirc there is an input buffer on the jack/board where the input signal goes into an ic buffer then is split, one side routed to the white input wire and the other side sent directly to the output tip on the jack board... if you left out the buffer, you could probably get away with just tapping the input via a cap directly to the output... white-cap-yellow.
nothing says forever like a solid block of liquid nails!!!

Renegadrian

I guess I have to perform the mods illustrated HERE