Pics of my first complete box, a bass fuzz.

Started by Peter B, October 01, 2003, 09:09:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Peter B

Hi All,

I've attached a couple of pics of my first fully complete box.  It's a bass fuzz circuit based on the Bazz Fuzz.  I've added the Millenium Bypass to the PCB and used a cool (well so my son tells me) blue LED for the indicator.

The box is an Aussie (Jaycar HB-5067) equivalent to the Hammond 1590.  I engraved the lettering and smiley face with a Dremel like tool prior to painting.  I used Holts Duplicolor over an etch primer, both baked in the oven.  The lips and teeth were painted by hand, then the engraving was redone to reveal the silver diecast.  A coat of clear was then sprayed and baked to complete the job.

Hopefully I've worked out how to get the pics to display....

Cheers,
Peter.

eliktronik

ExpAnonColin

I really like the design!  Simple simple... but where's the bottom lip and teeth :(

-Colin

Peter Snowberg

Eschew paradigm obfuscation

Marcos - Munky

Great job. My first effect was the Bazz Fuss too, and if you see what I used for enclosure, you will laught.

petemoore

Fine Work, the inside is very tidy!!! U've built many, but none look so neat..Congrats !!!
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

Mike Nichting

Very cool~!!  You must have a steady hand to engrave like that :-)

keep on keepin' on~!!

Mike
"It's not pollution thats hurting the earth, it's the impurities in the water and air that are doing it".
Quoted from a Vice President Al Gore speech

Peter B

Thanks for the positive feedback guys  :)

I have another few effects ready to box and plan to try decals on lighter coloured backgrounds.  Another option I had thought of for finishing boxes was to adapt what I've done here but to take the boxes to a prefessional engraver (ie. Trophy shop or similar) for engraving after I've done the painting.  One issue I see with any type of engraving is that it reduces the chances or re-using the box for another effect later.  At least a labelled box could be stripped down and repainted to accommodate a different effect as long as the number of pots, switches etc. is the same.

Anyway... I'll keep on with it.  A very rewarding hobby, greatly helped by this site and other similar ones.

Cheers,

Peter.

The Tone God

Great stuff!!! I'm afraid no one will tell you but the only problem is now your hooked. ;)

Andrew

Andy

Thats real nice man!!  keep the pics coming!
Andy

Dan N

Nice work!

What kind of bit did you use? One of those with the little ball on the end?

gez

Quote from: Dan NNice work!

Obviously I can't speak for Peter, but I engrave my boxes too.  The bits I use are Dremel if I recall, and they're purpose built for engraving (yes they have the little ball on the end).

I'm pretty crap at it, but I print off text that looks 'shaky', tape it to the box and then use it as a template.  The font style allows for any slight errors (it's very forgiving).  The end result looks a bit grungy, but because the spacing is right it looks quite professional (well by my standards at any rate!)

PS nice work Peter!
"They always say there's nothing new under the sun.  I think that that's a big copout..."  Wayne Shorter

gez

Forgot to mention, I use a flexible shaft that attaches to the drill.  You hold it like a pen and it makes life a lot easier.
"They always say there's nothing new under the sun.  I think that that's a big copout..."  Wayne Shorter

Peter B

Quote from: Dan NNice work!

Yes Dan... that's the one.  The tip I use has a ball about 3mm or so diameter.

V!N

Quote from: Peter B

LOL  :D

Great ! can't help loving those crossed eyes on the fuzz' face ;)

Quote from: anonymousexperimentalistI really like the design!  Simple simple... but where's the bottom lip and teeth :(

Stop making such a fuss ;)