Tone Pad Fuzz Face, volume but no fuzz.

Started by buildafriend, January 21, 2011, 05:29:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

buildafriend

Okay, first off anyone who looks at this and helps is a hero. Anyone who looks at this and learns, I'm glad for you. :icon_biggrin:

This is my 1st build entirely on my own. as far as i can tell, everything looks right. The volume pot works but the fuzz does literally nothing. Does this trigger any thoughts in your heads? 

I am a technology student so I'm not in the dark with the terminology but I am still learning.

I used these transistors and this PCB layout. Etched it myself.

http://www.smallbearelec.com/Detail.bok?no=682

http://www.tonepad.com/getFile.asp?id=82

buildafriend

I read this in one of the stickies:

5.Whether or not it's a positive ground circuit like a PNP fuzz or a Rangemaster that has been hacked to work with negative ground. This is a special case, but a common one. "Positive ground" means that the positive/red lead of the battery clip is connected to signal ground. "Negative ground" means that the negative/black lead of the battery clip is connected to signal ground when the effect is operating.

In this project it specified the component setup for a negative which i followed.

BATTER GETS EXTREMELY HOT

This must mean i have a short. How do you check for shorts?

buildafriend

I followed nearly the exact resistor and and capacitor values in the tonepad bill of materials. except for replacing the 8.2K resistor with a 9.2K resistor. Everything else is by the book.

buildafriend

The switch is bypassed to keep it simple until the circuit works.

blooze_man

From what I can see in the photos the ground polarity jumper is wrong. I don't know if you wired it for positive or negative ground but the way you have it is wrong for either way.
Big Muff, Trotsky Drive, Little Angel, Valvecaster, Whisker Biscuit, Smash Drive, Green Ringer, Fuzz Face, Rangemaster, LPB1, Bazz Fuss/Buzz Box, Radioshack Fuzz, Blue Box, Fuzzrite, Tonepad Wah, EH Pulsar, NPN Tonebender, Torn's Peaker...

buildafriend

Is the ground polarity jumper the wire just under the battery + / - terminals?

buildafriend

I have it wired for negative ground and the caps are facing the right way.

buildafriend

buildafriend

I'm so happy! it's extremely aggressive and present! ITS ALIVE.

blooze_man

Big Muff, Trotsky Drive, Little Angel, Valvecaster, Whisker Biscuit, Smash Drive, Green Ringer, Fuzz Face, Rangemaster, LPB1, Bazz Fuss/Buzz Box, Radioshack Fuzz, Blue Box, Fuzzrite, Tonepad Wah, EH Pulsar, NPN Tonebender, Torn's Peaker...

buildafriend

hm.. now that i pay closer attention.. its sort of crackling.

Jhouse

Are you familiar with an AUDIOPROBE?

Make one of those bad boys and start tracing your circuit from the input until you get to the end of the circuit. It's the only real way to find out where the crackle is actually at.