Modding a Crybaby 95Q switchless wah for no "off" delay time...

Started by kvandekrol, January 22, 2011, 01:44:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kvandekrol

I have a Crybaby 95Q... pretty cool pedal. Sounds great, very adjustable, and the switchless feature is great. The only complaint is that there's about a half-second of delay time from the time the switch is depressed to the time the wah actually turns off.

According to the manual, this is by design, although the bass version (the 105Q) has a trimpot to control the time and the guitar version does not.

Does anyone know of a way to decrease this time to zero or almost zero? There is no schematic for either this or the 105Q, but I do have a pretty clear shot of the switching part of the board:

I've never tried to mess with SMD components but I am sure I can do a resistor change if it ends up being that simple. I do apologize if this is not enough to go off of!

Johan

there is most likely a time constant ( a resistor and a cap) somewhere in there that sets the time for the switching. half a second is a long time so either the cap is large or the resistor has a very big value.
given the proximity to the switch, C17/R23 could be good candidates, but so could C20/R29.  the picture isnt clear enough on my screen, but the 16 legged critter probably handles the signal?...a picture of the underside of the pcb would help
J
DON'T PANIC

kvandekrol

The IC is a HEF4049BT... the buffered, off-brand version of our legendary CD4049UBE, maybe? In the pics, it's upside-down (the writing reads the other way) if that helps.

I did some more looking around and it appears that there is a version which incorporates a trimpot. Mine dates from 2000, so it's probably the later models. Here's the only pic of the insides that I could find:

If the basic layout is the same between versions, then the trimpot is right next to R24. But it looks like there are a number of new resistors and capacitors above the trimpot and the IC on this version...

dromilious

Hello ! I try to find a schematic for this wah .Does anyone has it? or a layout?thanks