Dual Inductor Mod?

Started by jollyjek, January 24, 2011, 10:47:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jollyjek

Hi, I have a stock crybaby that I want to mod.  I want to be able to switch between a yellow fasel and a halo inductor of some sorts, how would i do that?  Does the fact that the fasel inductor have only two legs make any difference with the halo that has four? and what type of switch would i need? thanks.

John Lyons

Most inductors have only two connections, the other legs are just for mounting.
Take a look here for the inductor modifications.
http://www.generalguitargadgets.com/projects/27-wah-wah/53-mod-able-wah-wah
Basic Audio Pedals
www.basicaudio.net/

jollyjek

okay, so how would i know which legs are for mounting and which ones actually connect on the circuit?

Govmnt_Lacky

Quote from: jollyjek on January 24, 2011, 11:14:41 PM
okay, so how would i know which legs are for mounting and which ones actually connect on the circuit?

Read between 2 of the posts on the Halo with a DMM. Two of the legs will read a small amount of resistance (~20-100 ohms) and the others will not. Those two are your winners!
A Veteran is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The United States of America
for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'

jollyjek

awesome.  so i would just use a dpdt if i dont want to get that specialized pcb i presume?

Govmnt_Lacky

Quote from: jollyjek on January 24, 2011, 11:44:18 PM
awesome.  so i would just use a dpdt if i dont want to get that specialized pcb i presume?

Yes.... you could but, good luck hanging 2 inductors from a DPDT  :icon_eek:
A Veteran is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The United States of America

jasperoosthoek

Quote from: Govmnt_Lacky on January 25, 2011, 08:30:23 AM
Yes.... you could but, good luck hanging 2 inductors from a DPDT  :icon_eek:
Why is that?

The switchable wah mod from GGG also has the ability to connect both inductors in series. Therefore a big 3p3t switch is needed. If all you need is to switch between two inductors you keep both sides connected to the 4.7uF cap and select the other side with a SPDT switch. Or you can use a DPDT switch and switch between both poles.
[DIYStompbox user name]@hotmail.com

SISKO

Quote from: jasperoosthoek on January 25, 2011, 08:44:52 AM
Quote from: Govmnt_Lacky on January 25, 2011, 08:30:23 AM
Yes.... you could but, good luck hanging 2 inductors from a DPDT  :icon_eek:
Why is that?

The switchable wah mod from GGG also has the ability to connect both inductors in series. Therefore a big 3p3t switch is needed. If all you need is to switch between two inductors you keep both sides connected to the 4.7uF cap and select the other side with a SPDT switch. Or you can use a DPDT switch and switch between both poles.

Right, but the wah mod from GGG already includes the holes to mount two inductors on the same pcb. As I understand, he just wants to solder them directly to the dpdt and that may be a pain in the a** because the leads distance of the dpdt is not the same as the lead distance of the inductor. And while moving the wah from here to there, it could desolder since indcutors are not as light as resistors or capacitors

-You could, however, have a small daughter board with the two indcutors soldered, screwed to the case.
--Is there any body out there??--

R.G.

There is a minority opinion that says that it would be interesting to just sub out one for the other and see if there is any noticeable sound difference before going to all the trouble of mounting the two, drilling a hole for the switch, etc., and then finding out it doesn't make much difference, or that one is so superior that you'd never use the other one.

Just a thought.
R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.

Govmnt_Lacky

Quote from: R.G. on January 25, 2011, 12:10:39 PM
There is a minority opinion that says that it would be interesting to just sub out one for the other and see if there is any noticeable sound difference before going to all the trouble of mounting the two, drilling a hole for the switch, etc., and then finding out it doesn't make much difference, or that one is so superior that you'd never use the other one.

Just a thought.

+1. I actually etched and built the "dual inductor" circuit from GGG and it does indeed work flawlessly however, I used a Red and Yellow Fasel for each and my NON-GOLDEN EARS cannot tell that much of a difference between the two.

Then again.... I may be tone deaf as it is  :icon_lol:

MikeH

Quote from: Govmnt_Lacky on January 25, 2011, 12:13:16 PM
Quote from: R.G. on January 25, 2011, 12:10:39 PM

Just a thought.

+1. I actually etched and built the "dual inductor" circuit from GGG and it does indeed work flawlessly however, I used a Red and Yellow Fasel for each and my NON-GOLDEN EARS cannot tell that much of a difference between the two.

Then again.... I may be tone deaf as it is  :icon_lol:

I put a switch in my wah to switch between red and yellow too I just used a small piece of strip board to mount the fasels), and you are correct; there isn't much of a difference.  The yellow breaks up a tad more than the red, but not much at all.  Although I imagine the difference between some non-fasel inductors might be more noticeable.
"Sounds like a Fab Metal to me." -DougH

fretzburner

Tried the red and yellow fasels too and not a big difference switching between the two.Finally i removed the yellow one to simplify the circuit and to get rid of the wires for the switch.

Talon5051

I also did the GGG modable wah pedal and cannot tell the difference between the 2 inductors but the 2 in series does make a difference.