PT2399 for reverb..?

Started by Bullet79, January 26, 2011, 03:35:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bullet79

is it possible to use PT2399 chip for making reverb pedal instead of echo...?  or vice-versa (with a switch)

slacker

You can make reverbs using PT2399s but you need 4 or 5 of them to do it. Using one chip you can only do echo.

mth5044

You can check out the Belton reverb brick :)

Govmnt_Lacky

A Veteran is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The United States of America
for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'

Taylor

Technically, the PT2399 was designed just for the purpose of "reverb" in karaoke machines. Very short delay with high feedback could certainly be called reverb, just not a very high quality one.

I have played around with multiple PT2399s for reverb - it's great if you like weird sounds with lots of character. Not good if you want to sound like you're playing in the Concertgebouw. As MTH says, the Belton brick uses some 2399 chips to do a reverb sound, and it sounds fairly polite. Certainly easier than wiring it all up yourself.

For really nice reverb, IMO the simplest solution for the DIYer is the Spin FV-1. It comes preloaded with nice, usable reverbs.

Govmnt_Lacky

Quote from: Taylor on January 26, 2011, 04:04:34 PM
For really nice reverb, IMO the simplest solution for the DIYer is the Spin FV-1. It comes preloaded with nice, usable reverbs.

I was looking into this myself. If only it was available in something other than SMD/SMT  :'(
A Veteran is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The United States of America
for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'

slacker

I've just bought some FV1s to play with, even though they're SMD they don't look that hard to solder, I'm just going to use a converter board and through hole the rest. Just waiting for the converters to arrive.

Mark Hammer

Quote from: Bullet79 on January 26, 2011, 03:35:06 PM
is it possible to use PT2399 chip for making reverb pedal instead of echo...?  or vice-versa (with a switch)
The short answer is: Not by using only 1 of them.

"Reverb" results from multiple reflections that bounce off a variety of surfaces and arrive back at the ear at a number of different times, not just multiples of the time set for a single delay line.  Springs and plates can do a nice job of creating multiple asynchronous repetitions, even if they don't sound like a room.

To some extent a single delay line can sound a little bit more reverb-like, by both triming the treble from the overall delay signal, and by introducing a bit of progressive treble-trimming in the recirculated signal.  Both of these tend to produce some of what happens to reverberant sound over time and reflections.  But they don't sound like reverb.

The old Panasonic/Matsush*ta MN3011 (6 taps over 3398 stages) and MN3214 (5 taps over 1024 stages) were intended to provide something a little closer to the multiple aperiodic repeats of true reverb but people didn't figure out how to use them properly before digital reverb devices came along and replaced them.

If a person had 3 delays in series, all set to different imes, and providing both feedback and feedforward to several mixing nodes, you could probably end up with a sufficient variety of cumulative delay times, but managing the reisk of audible heterodyning might be tricky, not to mention the planning out needed to avoid periodicity (everything being a multiple of one or two delay times).  But it could be done, and may in fact even be how Belton does it inside that impenetrable epoxy block..

Taylor

Quote from: Govmnt_Lacky on January 26, 2011, 04:06:48 PM
Quote from: Taylor on January 26, 2011, 04:04:34 PM

I was looking into this myself. If only it was available in something other than SMD/SMT  :'(

As Slacker says, it's really not so hard. I've done it a lot now, but even my very first time doing it, it fired up right away. I would be happy to give my little tips on soldering the chip. Ice-9 (Mick?) may be doing a PCB for it, and I will happily contribute what I know about this if people get into working with it.

Mark Hammer

And please remember that while the FV-1 may be pricey for a chip, it is sick cheap for an effect.  Just ask yourself what you'd have to pay to buy a decent reverb, whether spring or digital.

The Tone God

I've played with multiple PT2399 for reverb. If you want springy style reverb its okay ala. reverb bricks but if you are looking for warm background reverb it didn't do it for me.

Andrew

Bullet79

i got this Kustom Amp 12Gauge use single pt2399 for the fx (switchable reverb or echo)...

inside:

sure its no gonna be as good as a spring reverb... but its fine with me... do u think it will work if i use the circuit in stompbox.,??

Mark Hammer

It may say "delay/reverb", but that doesn't mean very much.  Basically, the unit has a pair of presets for a one-knob delay, and lets you pick one or the other and mix them in.  My guess is what they have called "delay" is the longer delay time with very little regeneration, and what they've called "reverb" is a shorter delay time with more regeneration.  Reasonably decent of them, I guess.  Provides some degree of ambiance without adding too much to the cost of production.

Bullet79

so true.... think it will work as a stompbox..?

Mark Hammer

Well, as I noted earlier, there are things you can do to make a normal analog or digital delayline sound a bit more like reverb, so....yeah, it'll work.  Just recognize it won't sound like a Lexicon.

Earthscum

Funny... I was playing around with my own Sewer Pipes, taking a crap on the filtering and such (ya know... tweaking it a bit). I found out a couple things, and was coming here to search for the PT 'verbs to see if a hunch I had was correct...  happened to spot this thread.

From what I've built, I've found that you can get fairly decent tunnel-sounding reverb effect by eliminating filtering. Keeping it to well thought-out single pole filtering lets the tones circulate in the chip. With the Sewer Pipes, you definitely want a buffer or small boost with some higher output impedance. With lower impedance (diode from a distortion circuit, low imp. buffer, etc.) it will oscillate back into the signal path. Works great the way it is with my bass's passives, and agrees with my EMG Select on my Dean.

I have sound clips HERE. Definitely tuned to sound like concrete tunnels... purely just by screwing around with some ideas I got from others here.

Now, BACK TO THA SEWA!  :icon_twisted:
Give a man Fuzz, and he'll jam for a day... teach a man how to make a Fuzz and he'll never jam again!

http://www.facebook.com/Earthscum

~arph

How about modulating pin 2 ala noise ensemble? erm.. little angel?