dual pedal series/parallel switching

Started by eniacmike, January 29, 2011, 12:55:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

eniacmike

sorry if this has been asked before.. I had a hard time searching on the net becuase there are alot of diagrams for guitar pickup switching and speaker cab switching but I couldn't find what I was looking for for effects.

this is what I came up with for a series/parallel switch. The biggest problem I see is that I cannot ground the input to either effect in bypass while the switch is in series mode because it would mute the input of the other effect to ground. I generally like to mute the input wire to ground in bypass to prevent buildup in the caps which would cause a pop. I can't really figure out a way around that.

the other potential problem I see is that when the pedal is in series mode the extra wire going to input A and the other extra wire going to the output jack will just be hanging loose which is a potential problem for noise.

also if there was a way to simplify it to use a dpdt that would be great. I had to use a 4pdt to figure it out. if anybody can verify or help me out I would appreciate it. I am probably going to build my "camel toe" in the next week and I will try it out.

-mike

R.G.

It is uncertain how two random effects will add their outputs when you simply connect them together with a wire on their outputs.

This is what mixers are for.
R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.

jasperoosthoek

I would like to add to that the fact that not all effects can have their inputs connected together also.

Problematic are low input impedance effects such as the Fuzz Face and Range Master. Most past 60s effects can without any problems.

Say you'd connect the inputs of a FF and a chorus together. The FF will make the guitar signal clip slightly at the input side which will generate a distorted signal out of the chorus too.

Just my 2 cents
[DIYStompbox user name]@hotmail.com

eniacmike

I just want to do something like this. tube screamer, and a tube sound fuzz.

I am going to breadboard the parallel first to see how it sounds.

eniacmike

Quote from: eniacmike on January 29, 2011, 04:49:41 PM

I just want to do something like this. tube screamer, and a tube sound fuzz. works for mike cambell from tom petty...

I am going to breadboard the parallel first to see how it sounds.

slacker

The parallel setting on the Camel Toe doesn't mix the 2 effect in parallel, it just selects between TS or Red Llama.

eniacmike

Quote from: slacker on January 30, 2011, 07:57:51 AM
The parallel setting on the Camel Toe doesn't mix the 2 effect in parallel, it just selects between TS or Red Llama.

you mean an order selector?

slacker

On the Camel Toe one of the stomp switches is the bypass for the whole pedal. Then in parallel mode the "Drive selector" switch changes between TS or Red Llama. In series mode the order is Red Llama into TS and the "Drive selector" bypasses one of them, so you get one on its own or both in series. I don't know which one is switched.

What you drew is probably more interesting :)

eniacmike

Quote from: slacker on January 30, 2011, 12:38:58 PM
On the Camel Toe one of the stomp switches is the bypass for the whole pedal. Then in parallel mode the "Drive selector" switch changes between TS or Red Llama. In series mode the order is Red Llama into TS and the "Drive selector" bypasses one of them, so you get one on its own or both in series. I don't know which one is switched.

What you drew is probably more interesting :)

that sounds needlessly confusing. I will try running both effects in parallel on the breadboard and see how it sounds. If it doesn't work out I will just probably end up doing an effects order switcher or maybe even just putting jacks on the back with a jumper cable to give me more flexibility for routing if I decide I want to put something in the middle.

Mich P

Hello all i just want to know if anyone find
the solution of that switching ! ( camel toe)
A schem maybe ?
Thanks,
Mich P.