News:

SMF for DIYStompboxes.com!

Main Menu

fetzer valve

Started by 23, January 29, 2011, 01:33:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Has anyone built 3 or 4 fetzer valves in a row? How/what does it sound?
Im bulding a stage 3 booster which is basically a FV with an MPF012 and was wondering what 3 or 4 together would sound like.
kinda like the box of rock idea.
put it together, now take it apart

MikeH

Look at any of the other FET based projects at ROG; they all consist of several FET stages cascaded.  Of course each stage isn't exactly a fetzer, but they are pretty similar.  Any of them would probably sound better than 3 cascaded fetzers though.
"Sounds like a Fab Metal to me." -DougH

petemoore

It's all worth fiddling with.
  Jfets @9v...read the Fetzer, see testing jig for biasing and choosing Jfets to put in 'there'. Choose your operating bias [es?].
  I saw a Jfet/Mosfet>Jfet/Mosfet design recently, it had a 'staired' power supply, the voltage supply started low at the first stage and went up on successive stages from there.
  IIRC it has some buffer/gain stages lined up with fixed and controllable voicings sprinkled in.

Convention creates following, following creates convention.

Renegadrian

This schem is a double one...Never tried it tho'...
Done an' workin'=Too many to mention - Tube addict!

Vitrolin

might wanna filter out some low end whane cascading

panterafanatic

R6 isn't needed, and just cuts signal as is. The highpass filters of C2-VR2/R4 and C4-VR4 have a cut-off of ~72 hertz, excluding the output Z of the JFET stages.

Also, since JFETs are depletion mode devices like tubes, paralleling them should double the gain. Which should put you closer to the gain of 1 tube stage. Half the 1k3 resistor to keep the same DC bias. Twice the number of FETs, twice the current. You may want to match the FETs a bit, but that's up to you.
-Jared

N.S.B.A. ~ Coming soon

Renegadrian

Done an' workin'=Too many to mention - Tube addict!

Wild E

My Uncle Fetzer has two Fetzer Valve Revisited in it. When the effect is on Fetzer 1 is always connected. A switch adds Fetzer 2 between Fetzer 1 and the volume pot. At full volume the sound of both is undesirable, but back it down a little and there's some goo distortion to be found.

interesting......... IM boosting a jcm 800 2204 already using an OCD, lovepedal burst eternity clone , or dragonflys VMF (real thick reminds me of some of QOTSA tones). Recently Ive jsut become interested in fets and am trying to decipher my "own" circuit. I would like to achieve more treble out of the amp..... so now interest is on the Omega?
put it together, now take it apart