sort of OT: what is a switchcraft "shorting" jack?

Started by nightingale, October 02, 2003, 12:16:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nightingale

i need to replace the jacks in my blues deville, the plastic PCB mount ones are trouble! i have some open switchcraft jacks that have 3 lugs. and two of them are connected. the tip lug, and the 2nd lug.(usually battery connection). are these refered to as "shorting"? mouser data sheets couldn't help me.
thanks,
~ryanS
be well,
ryanS
www.moccasinmusic.com

petemoore

Go to the jack? I do ok using the DMM continuity checker and seeing what exactly IS going on inside those 'closed to viewing' type jacks.
 Taking a regular Phono mono and a phono stereo [just the stereo if yar good] and testing to see where the current passes and just as imp. is not passing...after marking where the sires came from and removing all the connections to the jack to be tested.
 finding a schem for the amp might be another route.
 If you're getting something wrong at the input side the werst ya can hope for is a loud BUzz...or a taste of high voltage from a big Cap [big caps with high V's are not connected t the inputs...but beware anyway of them...they reach out and grab those with metal in thier hands who arent focusing [I should know]
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

Dan N

I use the 12A for my Fender amps. It has a lug connected to the ring, a lug connected to the tip, and a lug that connects to the tip lug until a cable is inserted that breaks the connection.