here's plans for making your own clone of the PAIA Gator

schematic

verified veroboard layout

soundclip
http://soundclick.com/share?songid=10213593

no alligators were harmed during testing  :icon_razz:

the3secondrule

Awesome - Looks like another one I'll have to build  :icon_rolleyes: ;D

is the CA3080 a sub for the LM3080? seems like it to me, but I'm still reasonably noobish
"Rock music is mostly about moving big black boxes from one side of town to the other in the back of your car."

Scruffie

Quote from: the3secondrule on January 31, 2011, 04:40:48 PM
Awesome - Looks like another one I'll have to build  :icon_rolleyes: ;D

is the CA3080 a sub for the LM3080? seems like it to me, but I'm still reasonably noobish
Yes it is, the CA & LM are just brand names.

the3secondrule

thought so - but also wanted to double check  ;D

BTW Scruffie - did you ever have any luck witht he conversion of the EHX attack decay for mn3207 / LM13x00?
"Rock music is mostly about moving big black boxes from one side of town to the other in the back of your car."

Scruffie

Quote from: the3secondrule on January 31, 2011, 05:59:41 PM
thought so - but also wanted to double check  ;D

BTW Scruffie - did you ever have any luck witht he conversion of the EHX attack decay for mn3207 / LM13x00?
I'm waiting to find someone willing to etch me a PCB of the original for a decent (cheap) price, so I can build it up, then I can work on converting it, it is high priority after a few other things I have to do first though, it'll be a few months off though. I hope to release fabbed PCBs for it though (Or pass that flame onto someone else atleast) in the end once it's converted.

Rodgre

The Attack Decay has been on my "holy grail" pedal list for years. I have a Gator and a Slow Gear already, but the Attack Decay eludes me. I have been trying to decide if I just want to buy a Pigtronix Philosopher's Tone or not.

That all said, a client at the studio recently showed up with his Attack Decay. He said it wasn't working right and left it for me to fix. If there isn't a clear photo of the PCB layout already, I will try to do that while I have it.

Roger

the3secondrule

Quote from: Scruffie on January 31, 2011, 06:23:34 PM

I'm waiting to find someone willing to etch me a PCB of the original for a decent (cheap) price, so I can build it up, then I can work on converting it, it is high priority after a few other things I have to do first though, it'll be a few months off though. I hope to release fabbed PCBs for it though (Or pass that flame onto someone else atleast) in the end once it's converted.

Hmm. let me know if you find someone willing to do you a PCB for the original, I would also be keen to grab one, if possible. I figure it'd be worth spending a little bit on the original chips if means working of a verified layout  ;D

I have seen John Lyons mentioned on the forum as the dude to get in touch with for etched pcb's - not sure how much he charges though

Scruffie

Quote from: the3secondrule on January 31, 2011, 06:35:36 PM
Quote from: Scruffie on January 31, 2011, 06:23:34 PM

Hmm. let me know if you find someone willing to do you a PCB for the original, I would also be keen to grab one, if possible. I figure it'd be worth spending a little bit on the original chips if means working of a verified layout  ;D

I have seen John Lyons mentioned on the forum as the dude to get in touch with for etched pcb's - not sure how much he charges though

Nice boards, pricey though, i'm doing this work for free so... can't spend probaly the $30-40 he'd want (it's a large PCB).
I'd rather people didn't build the original, so as to keep the 3007 & 3080 chips available to others, hence my changing the design in the first place, it'll sound the same and keep those chips available for resorations of old pedals, the fabbed PCBs will be of as reasonable price as the Fabrication place and order size allows.

Quote from: Rodgre on January 31, 2011, 06:29:26 PM
The Attack Decay has been on my "holy grail" pedal list for years. I have a Gator and a Slow Gear already, but the Attack Decay eludes me. I have been trying to decide if I just want to buy a Pigtronix Philosopher's Tone or not.

That all said, a client at the studio recently showed up with his Attack Decay. He said it wasn't working right and left it for me to fix. If there isn't a clear photo of the PCB layout already, I will try to do that while I have it.

Roger

If you need any help fixing it, let me know as i've collected as much info as I can on it. Clear shots of the PCB side & Components would be VERY appreciated though.

Oh and I listened to the Pigtronix demo... to me... doesn't have the same feel, that dirtyness of the original is just amazing, true cello like tones.

I will do my very best to get this project out in the community within the year.

the3secondrule

Quote from: Scruffie on January 31, 2011, 06:51:16 PM

I'd rather people didn't build the original, so as to keep the 3007 & 3080 chips available to others, hence my changing the design in the first place, it'll sound the same and keep those chips available for resorations of old pedals, the fabbed PCBs will be of as reasonable price as the Fabrication place and order size allows.

Fair enough man - looks like the gator is a pretty good option for me for now then. Definately interested in the Attack Decay once the new project is verified, esp if there is a fabbed board

J

phector2004

Are the specified IC's necessary? Can't someone just use any dual + quad opamp (TL's) and any OTA?

Mark Hammer

The Gator actually works quite well.  The one suggestion I would make is to maybe use it with a true bypass, rather than the switching scheme that Anderton/PAiA used.  The stock switching simply ties the op-amp that feeds the Iabc pin on the 3080 to V+, setting it to max gain.  The envelope detection still works, but doesn't really add anything beyond what the V+ does.

That disables the "effect", but it also leaves a 3080 in the signal path, and those guys don't handle big signals so good.  My own inclination is to step around them unless you need them to do something for you, and in this case you don't.  The stock PAiA circuit also doesn't come with a status LED and this is one of those effects where you really need one.  Because it is often hard to tell the difference between "on" and "not working at all".  So my best advice is to skip the connection to V+ as your bypass technique, and use a stompswitch to completely bypass th4e Gator, in conjunction with status LED switching.

markeebee

If/when you have pcb artwork, I'd be happy to do an etch. It won't be anything like John L's quality, of course, but it'll be free.

Scruffie

Quote from: markeebee on February 01, 2011, 02:52:44 AM
If/when you have pcb artwork, I'd be happy to do an etch. It won't be anything like John L's quality, of course, but it'll be free.
Is that directed towards me? Cause I already have PCB artwork ready for the standard board... be warned though... this board is not small (It's a copy of the original EHX and mainly filled there big box case).

However, if you're up for the challenge, i'm sure I can compensate you some how   :icon_wink: it'd be very much appreciated if you could help out.

*Waits for Markeebee to make that dirty and incorporate Scarlett Johansson*

And now back to the PAIA Gator Show...

markeebee

@Scruffie

Yes directed towards you.  :icon_wink:

If it's smaller than A4 I'll give it a go.  No guarantees about the quality of the results, but what could possibly go wrong?

I'll PM you my email.  No worries about compensation, it'll be my contribution to a worthy project and it'll make me feel good about myself.

stringsthings

Quote from: Mark Hammer on January 31, 2011, 09:47:09 PM
  ... The one suggestion I would make is to maybe use it with a true bypass, rather than the switching scheme that Anderton/PAiA used.  The stock switching simply ties the op-amp that feeds the Iabc pin on the 3080 to V+, setting it to max gain ...

I believe that the Iabc pin of the 3080 is pin 5.

here's a link to the PDF file with PAIA's original schematic and design analysis
http://www.paia.com/talk/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=204

~arph

Is it normal that you hear the gate closing? It sounds pretty bad

Mark Hammer

Quote from: stringsthings on February 02, 2011, 04:40:02 AM
Quote from: Mark Hammer on January 31, 2011, 09:47:09 PM
  ... The one suggestion I would make is to maybe use it with a true bypass, rather than the switching scheme that Anderton/PAiA used.  The stock switching simply ties the op-amp that feeds the Iabc pin on the 3080 to V+, setting it to max gain ...

I believe that the Iabc pin of the 3080 is pin 5.

here's a link to the PDF file with PAIA's original schematic and design analysis
http://www.paia.com/talk/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=204
Whatever the function of the pin is in electrical terms, it is used to set the 3080 to max gain.