News:

SMF for DIYStompboxes.com!

Main Menu

TL082

Started by jmclaren, January 31, 2011, 09:25:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jmclaren

I have an opportunity to pick up a fairly large stash of Texas Instrument TL082 op amps and am wondering if it's worth pursuing.  I believe that they're used in the OCD.  Are there any other pedals that are based on the TL082?

StereoKills

Should be usable for any dual op-amp purpose.
"Sometimes it takes a thousand notes to make one sound"

TimWaldvogel

I prefer the tl082 in most overdrive pedal designs
YOU KNOW WHAT THEY SAY ABOUT LARGE PEDALBOARDS....

.... I BET YOU WISH YOUR PEDALBOARD WAS AS LARGE AS MINE

Lucianorg

There are a LOT of stomboxes which use the TL082 (or the equivalent TL072). Make a visit to the Geofex site, or the Tonepad, and take a look. There are many aplications to this IC.

I say go for it.

thedefog

If they're cheap enough, go for it. Never a bad part to have a lot of, considering they're used in just about EVERYTHING!

amptramp

I just checked my TI data book and there seems to be very little difference between the TL072 and TL082 series of amplifiers.  Does anyone know what the difference is between them?  I assume I am missing something, because a company would not carry two identical devices under different part numbers.

MikeH

Quote from: amptramp on January 31, 2011, 12:06:54 PM
I just checked my TI data book and there seems to be very little difference between the TL072 and TL082 series of amplifiers.  Does anyone know what the difference is between them?  I assume I am missing something, because a company would not carry two identical devices under different part numbers.

Sometimes there are minute variances that matter when designing say, a blender, but are unimportant in the world of stompboxes.  I'd surmise that anyone would be hard pressed to pick out the difference between the two in any effect circuit.
"Sounds like a Fab Metal to me." -DougH

Johan

Quote from: amptramp on January 31, 2011, 12:06:54 PM

I think the "72" used to be the low noise and the "82" was the general purpose one. today it is probably easier to just make the "72" and stamp whatever number the vendor orders on a whole batch. IC production has come a long way the last 30 years and there is no point in making a lower tolerance part when the production cost is the same.
either way, the TL082 is a good opamp for audio and for anything we would build on this forum, so unless your batch is so silly-big it would take up space you cant spare, or lock up money you need for other things, go for it...they will get used sooner or later
DON'T PANIC

edvard

And you can get them at Radio Shack if you need a Jfet dually in a pinch...
All children left unattended will be given a mocha and a puppy

PRR

TL082/TL072 sell under a buck each, $2 at Radio Shed, 55 cents in hundreds.

I bought a dozen opamps 20 years ago and never used them all.

Is a good chip but "a large stash" is nothing to get over-excited about, unless you make a lot of pedals or the price is MUCH lower than the going rate and you can re-sell to Aron or SmallBear.
  • SUPPORTER

Hides-His-Eyes

Quote from: PRR on January 31, 2011, 10:51:36 PM
55 cents in hundreds.

If you can wait a couple of weeks, at tayda they work out about 25 cents each if you buy 30 (shipped)

ghostsauce

I'm pretty sure it was the TL082 I used in my son of screamer.. I tried a bunch but it produced the best sound. Good way to use up one of them, too. :)

jmclaren

Thanks for all the input.  A buddy of mine buys used medical equipment. He refurbishes and resells the equipment to hospitals and clinics. He came into possession of a bunch of used circuit boards and was going to sell them for scrap.  I took a look at the boards and found four or five TL082's per board, in sockets! They've never been soldered.  I told him I'd do a little research to see if it would be worth it to pop them out of their sockets and sell in bulk as used, but un-soldered IC's.  What do you guys think?

Hides-His-Eyes

10 boards worth? 100 boards worth? 1000 boards worth?

jmclaren

Don't know yet.  I just grabbed one board off the top of a box that was full of them last week.  Now that I know a little more, I'll go back and dig  deeper. My guess is that there could be a few hundred IC's in the pile.

Joe Hart

Well, to answer your original question, if someone can buy them for, say, $0.25 each from a reputable dealer (rather than just some guy on eBay), I would say you could price them at $0.15 a piece (but check eBay and see what they routinely sell for and price accordingly -- but we'll go with $0.15 for this example). So, if you buy them for even $0.05 each, you're talking about selling them for a $0.10 "profit." I don't know if anyone would buy much more than 10 from "some guy," so you're talking about selling them for $1.00 "profit" (and I keep putting that in quotes, because you need to factor in your time, eBay and PayPal fees, gas and cost of packaging, etcetera). Even if you can sell them for twice the $0.15 price, you're now at $2.50 minus expenses. How many can you sell? It's not like you have "rare" or "mojo" type parts, so now you're competing with all the other "normal, everyday" IC's that anyone can buy (or get for free).

And the big question: Is it worth it to you? If someone works at a job where they make $100.00's of dollars an hour, it may not be worth their time. But that's a question that only you can answer.

Sorry if I'm raining on your parade, but it seems that everyone got sidetracked talking about what the TL082 is good for rather than answering your question. Hope it helps.

Maybe you could grab a handful and offer them to the forumites for trades with other parts? That may make them more valuable to you than just as a "buy and resell" situation.
-Joe Hart

runmikeyrun

I concur- figure out what profit you would make from selling them, divided by the number of hours it will take you to recover and sell them, and see how much per hour you'd be making.  I usually do that for making pedals to see if it's worth building/selling something.
Bassist for Foul Spirits
Head tinkerer at Torch Effects
Instagram: @torcheffects

Dislikes: old women

Johan

I'm with Joe and Mike. scavenge to sell only really pays if you extract the gold from electronics ( sometimes up to 32gram/ton. mining is considered profitable at 17gram/ton) but that takes some serious equipment. I thought you got your hands on unused packeded ic's.
but since they are socketed it would be silly not to get them for yourself thou.. :icon_biggrin:
DON'T PANIC