putting 2 effects in 1 box

Started by CH_88, January 31, 2011, 12:58:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CH_88

i've been looking to rehouse two pedals into one box and stumbled across this post

http://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?PHPSESSID=bd1b943bd084c371ccc4305422e9e29c&topic=57484.msg446419#msg446419

and was wondering if the diagrams there would be any help

I'm looking to combine a little big muff and a MXR 6 band EQ,

with the switching options being:

a single switch for bypass and a single switch for toggling the EQ on or off

much thanks and sorry if this is a noob question

jefe

You're link isn't working.. but generally speaking, yes, it's possible to put 2 effects in 1 box, and wire it up as you've described.

edit: link is working.. yes, I think that will work.

CH_88

cheers for the speedy reply  ;D

{edit}

also which diagram would be better to use the top and the bottom??

MikeH

Both of those diagrams are the same, essentially- but neither is what you want.  You should take a moment to see what kind of switching exists on the pedals already.  If you need to convert them to a different bypass scheme, it will take a bit more explaining.  Chances are, they are not already standard true bypass.
"Sounds like a Fab Metal to me." -DougH

CH_88

Quote from: MikeH on January 31, 2011, 01:16:45 PM
Both of those diagrams are the same, essentially- but neither is what you want.  You should take a moment to see what kind of switching exists on the pedals already.  If you need to convert them to a different bypass scheme, it will take a bit more explaining.  Chances are, they are not already standard true bypass.

ahhh right.

i've checked both pedals and the little big muff is true bypass and the mxr isn't

[edit]

if this helps im looking to have the pedal work in a way so the fuzz is always on and i can have the EQ either on or off

MikeH

Basically you'll want to look up a diagram for true bypass wiring.  There are many around here and all over the net.  This is how you'll wire the muff (or at least imagine that we're wiring it for now).  Now it's time to decide if you want the eq to go in front of the muff or after it.  Let's say hypothetically it's after.  In our imaginary wiring for the muff, we're going to sever the wire that goes from the effect output on the muff board, back to the bypass switch, and where the connection is severed we're going to insert a switch that is wired up in the same manner.  Only instead of the input and output to and from the switch being the input and output jacks, it's the output from the muff and the other switch, respectively.

It's kind of confusing until it clicks.  Basically you're just picking a spot in the bypass wiring, and inserting the same diagram in that spot, minus the jacks.  That way, when the muff is inactive, the eq will be out as well, regardless of whether or not it is bypassed, because the switch for the eq is being bypassed altogether.

God that sounds confusing when I read it back.  Is that clicking at all?

blooze_man

Here is what you want. Of course you can use 3PDTs if you want LED's but I left them out for simplicity.

If built as is, the EQ comes into the chain AFTER the muff. switch em around for the EQ to be first.

Big Muff, Trotsky Drive, Little Angel, Valvecaster, Whisker Biscuit, Smash Drive, Green Ringer, Fuzz Face, Rangemaster, LPB1, Bazz Fuss/Buzz Box, Radioshack Fuzz, Blue Box, Fuzzrite, Tonepad Wah, EH Pulsar, NPN Tonebender, Torn's Peaker...

CH_88

Quote from: MikeH on January 31, 2011, 03:06:40 PM
Basically you'll want to look up a diagram for true bypass wiring.  There are many around here and all over the net.  This is how you'll wire the muff (or at least imagine that we're wiring it for now).  Now it's time to decide if you want the eq to go in front of the muff or after it.  Let's say hypothetically it's after.  In our imaginary wiring for the muff, we're going to sever the wire that goes from the effect output on the muff board, back to the bypass switch, and where the connection is severed we're going to insert a switch that is wired up in the same manner.  Only instead of the input and output to and from the switch being the input and output jacks, it's the output from the muff and the other switch, respectively.

It's kind of confusing until it clicks.  Basically you're just picking a spot in the bypass wiring, and inserting the same diagram in that spot, minus the jacks.  That way, when the muff is inactive, the eq will be out as well, regardless of whether or not it is bypassed, because the switch for the eq is being bypassed altogether.

God that sounds confusing when I read it back.  Is that clicking at all?

yea just lol , would this be it in bullet points??:

cut the wire on the muff between the board and switch (output)

wire the output from the muff to the input on the eq switch

then wire the output from the eq switch the output of the muff

and i take its the muff keeps its input and output jacks?

MikeH

Yeah- you've basically described the diagram above.  It's a good one to follow.

petemoore

Schematic reading gets more complicated when there are switches.
  I believe it is harder to put into words than it is to DMM-through a couple switch settings to figure what goes through which lug [and then to know pole/throws and basic switch function.
  It really helps to have it drawn out and study through it until all the lines = understood signal paths, the DMM beep mode is easiest, but audio probe can trace through signal paths also.
Convention creates following, following creates convention.