2N2613 PNP in a high gain Fuzz Face

Started by mordechai, February 07, 2011, 12:13:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mordechai

I really like the Analogman Peppermint Fuzz, which I am told uses quite high gain Ge transistors.  I'd be interested in hearing anyone's thoughts on using 2N2613s in this sort of a circuit -- I think they're quite high gain, yes?  But are they TOO high?  I don't know their gain range, but I would guess that anything higher than about 250 Hfe would just not work terribly well in terms of not having the note get lost in the wool...

smallbearelec

Most 2N2613s and 2614s will leak too much to be stable in a Fuzz Face. They worked fine in the FZ-1A, and that's what I would save them for if you found some. AFAIK, Mike P. uses low-leakage devices in his pedals.

rousejeremy

I just opened up a Peppermint Fuzz at a store in Montreal. It had AC126 trannies. I think the gains were around 130 and 260.
Consistency is a worthy adversary

www.jeremyrouse.weebly.com

mordechai

That sounds about right for the regular PF.  I wonder if the Dark PF just uses a lower gain Q1...

rousejeremy

Strangely enough, the fuzz I opened was a Dark
Consistency is a worthy adversary

www.jeremyrouse.weebly.com

Pedal love

Quote from: mordechai on February 07, 2011, 12:13:03 AM
I really like the Analogman Peppermint Fuzz, which I am told uses quite high gain Ge transistors.  I'd be interested in hearing anyone's thoughts on using 2N2613s in this sort of a circuit -- I think they're quite high gain, yes?  

I never used 2613's, I did however make a standard germanium fuzz face for a friend of mine years ago, using the bulky 2n270 pnp germaniums. He said he enjoyed the sound, but I had to change the biasing, as the power was too great.

mordechai

Quote from: rousejeremy on February 07, 2011, 07:28:35 PM
Strangely enough, the fuzz I opened was a Dark

I wonder if the "dark" quality is a result of the bigger discrepency between Q1 and Q2, since I would think that in a regular FF circuit, a Q1 with a relatively high hfe would yield a brighter tone.

Dragonfly

It's a simple circuit - build it, socket Q2, and try it out - see if you like it - if you don't you're out a few resistors and caps is all.

:)