Stupid DPDT question (clipping section)

Started by Xavier, February 09, 2011, 09:01:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Xavier

I've been out of the loop for quite a long time, but since I was stolen  :icon_cry: my pedalboard, I need to revisit my lost skills at building pedals............

I'm building your usual TS clone and I have a question regarding using a DPDT on/off/on switch.

Can I have 3 pairs of clippers? say, stock pair of 1N4148 center, LED's on the left , Mosfet on the right............I mean, when the switch is in the center "off" position, it will "ignore" the diodes ? is the center position usable or it must be used only to insert the switch in the circuit?

Thanks in advance

familyortiz

I've been in the electronics business for 32 years and it's one area where there's never a stupid question!
I'm thinking you need a 2P3T switch for 3 types of diode pairs. Look at the datasheet link at this page:

http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/CK-Components/AYZ0203AGRLC/?qs=sGAEpiMZZMtHXLepoqNyVZhtXmccpicDzx83xUvjV7c%3d

It's a slider switch but in searching, you may find a rocker or rotary type that you would prefer.

CynicalMan

You can do this, even with a SPDT on/off/on. Generally, when two diodes are in parallel in the same direction, the one with the lower forward voltage will be the one that you hear clipping. So, you can just leave in the LEDs and have the switch put the MOSFET pair or the 1N4148 pair in parallel with the LED pair. This does mean that the LED will be the centre option.