waterslide trouble

Started by not the man, February 11, 2011, 06:24:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

not the man

Hey I was wondering if someone could help me with this:  So I used testors inkjet waterslide paper, printed black lettering with a laser printer, cleared over the decal, and applied it to a white lacquered surface with micro sol to help.  I tried once, but could still see a difference in color between the decal layer and the white background, So I thought that maybe the orange peel was a little too fine, and I sprayed a good heavy coat to assure that the decal had a relatively smooth surface to stick to.  Unfortunately, I ended up with the same result.

So personally I want to blame it on either the testors brand decal stock or the white surface.  I've used the small bear laser stock fine on two separate pedals, but both pedals were darker colored as well.  Could someone please give me their opinion on this matter?

ultran8

ive never had a problem with testors i used it on a white pedal and it looks great . maybe post pic

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

piloto117

I assume you mean that the difference between the white paint and the decal is the transparency, am I right?  If that's the case, it could be neither one causing the problem,  might want to take a closer look to the clearcoat spray you're using.  Doesn't really matter if your'e gonna spray the same clearcoat on the rest of the white pedal it'll have about the same tone.  But if it you're still getting the same result, then you might say you have a bad batch of waterslide paper.

dromilious

Here is my waterslide.It has many little bubbles and one big as you can see at the picture.why do you think happened that?
after putting the waterslide i put the enclosure in the oven for 10 minutes.I didn't remove all the water from it .i think it hasn't stuck on the box.

dromilious

Today i pull off the waterslide to replace it with a new one.It came off so easily like it hadn't any glue.Have you got an idea why this happened? I replaced it with a new and it fit perfect.I put and 3 coats of enamel spray.I still don't know if it has stick good enough.

jolly1423

I've been having the same problem. as the dry i can see they haven't really adhered to the surface. There are a lot of whitish areas and they peel right off.

seedlings

I watched a waterslide decal video on youtube a while back.  The guy was putting a decal on a model car, and he put clear enamel over the spot right before he put on the decal, then immediately covered with more enamel.  I have yet to try one, but I've been watching and learning.

You can skip ahead to minute 4:

CHAD

GGBB

Quote from: not the man on February 11, 2011, 06:24:38 AMI tried once, but could still see a difference in color between the decal layer and the white background
I've had the same problems with Lazertran decal paper.  As best as I can figure, it's a combination of things.  Partly (in my case) not enough adhesive on the Lazertran (I had to add extra white glue).  Also the smoothness of the finish you're applying to can affect it.  Last, the number and thickness of top coats.  The more topcoats you apply the more it seems to disappear, and the thinner the top coats the better the result.
  • SUPPORTER

GGBB

Quote from: dromilious on August 19, 2011, 03:16:58 PM
Here is my waterslide.It has many little bubbles and one big as you can see at the picture.why do you think happened that?
after putting the waterslide i put the enclosure in the oven for 10 minutes.I didn't remove all the water from it .i think it hasn't stuck on the box.
Yeah - if there is any water underneath it will bubble up when baked and if it is too hot it will dry and harden before it shrinks back down.  The way to avoid it is to get rid of as much water as possible and then bake in increments starting at a low temperature.  Check this out.  I'd start lower at 200F for 15 min then move hotter.
  • SUPPORTER

dromilious

thank you for your advice.i will check it out.

add4

i've had the same problem with my waterslides over powder coated enclosure.
musikding inkjet waterslide decal
print -> spray 2 coats of varnish -> water -> pedal  (everything look great) -> left to dry for 24h -> i get the 'whitish' areas too,  lots and lots of many small bubbles that are not removable.
i don't know how to get rid of that :(

robmdall

You guys may be leaving in the water too long? I have found that a few seconds after the decal was curled up - remove it from the water. I was leaving mine soaking too long and I believe dissolving the adhesive. also, I spray the enclosure with a mist of water before applying the decal. works a treat.

chi_boy

Add a touch of dish soap to the spray water and it works even better.  Just enough to break the surface tension is all it takes, so like a drop or two in a small bottle is plenty.  I spray liberally and let the decal float on the surface until I'm ready to set it by rubbing it down.  I also let it sit for a few days to dry naturally before clear coat.  Some things can't be rushed.
"Great minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, small minds discuss people." — Admiral Hyman G. Rickover - 1900-1986

The Leftover PCB Page