Tri-Vibe Success!

Started by RickS, February 11, 2011, 11:57:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RickS

:D ;D
Wow, after a botched veroboard and perfboard attempt to build Run Off Grooves' Tri-Vibe, I ordered up John Lyons' PCB from Basicaudio, based on Andre Schaap's layout--best $$ (and not much of it) I've spent in a long time.  First time I've had an effect work right out of the gate, and for all practical purposes, perfectly.  It just sounds great!!

Many Thanks, John, for the great board, also thanks to ROG guys for designing and posting the project.  I'm still tweaking it, I think I like the NE5532 better than the TL072--provides a more natural sound for my humbuckers, and also seems to spread the pots' effects over more of the rotation, rather than being somewhat bunched up.  ( I am using the spec'd pots--10K-B for the Depth and 500K-C for the Rate.)  For testing, I've got it dummied up with twisted wire and tape off-board connections, overly-long unshielded jack connections, and is completely un-boxed, but is totally silent--not a whisper of noise.

LESSON LEARNED:
I'm not a complete noob, nor what you'd call expert, but I would advise others to avoid my big mistake, and look seriously at ROG's Complexity Rating for any ROG project they plan to build.
My advice is that for projects with complexity ratings of 3, or ratings of 2 with high parts counts, save yourself a lot of grief, time, and components, also money, and either buy, have a friend etch, or etch your own PCB for the project.  It makes your build so much faster, easier to troubleshoot, and less error-prone to begin with. It's also more likely that with a PCB, you'll be able to fit the project--comfortably--on a smaller board that will give you more flexibility in choosing the size of box to house it.  Not saying there's anything wrong with the perf board layouts, or the vero layouts that are developed for the projects, but in my experience, the PCB's give less experienced builders a better chance of success on the more complex projects.

Thanks again, also,  to all who offered help and advice for my earlier posts.
Rick S.

John Lyons

Cool! Glad you got it going.

Basic Audio Pedals
www.basicaudio.net/

B Tremblay

That's great!  Thanks for sharing your experience.  I'm really happy to hear that you like the circuit.
B Tremblay
runoffgroove.com