Simple way to Delay a voltage state ?

Started by petemoore, February 14, 2011, 10:41:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

petemoore

I think it's called sample n hold, but the application doesn't require audio quality. I need no signal manipulation features other than a not terribly long, lo-fi [ie enough to hold/send a control voltage] adjustable delay time.
  1 second delay would cover most of my needs for musical phrasing.
  Perhaps something like a modded 10-second pocket voice recorder, or...some other fairly simple [ie inexpensive] approach to getting a delayed control voltage signal.
  I have two suggested applications: for a delayed CV input, or for LED lighting ceremonies [ie LDR is invited]. I want some 'Echo effected effects'.

Convention creates following, following creates convention.

Gurner

Is the CV binary (ie one level or another?)....or is it a CV with many in between levels?

R.G.

I'd use a PIC. The built-in A-D in a PIC is not fast enough or high enough resolution to delay even mid-fi audio, but it should work great for delaying slowly varying control voltages and such. A $2.00 PIC and perhaps some external memory depending on how fast the signal changes and how long you want to delay it is a very cost effective solution.
R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.

artifus

could you try this out with a spare delay pedal? split signal to delay pedal to trigger an led and invite your ldr along to the party with another pedal too see what happens before heading towards pic territory.

petemoore

Seems it's an Of course [bapp forehead], put headers on the LED's bring the Arduino, loaded for the app.
  And I found a useful hack for 'on/other off, reverse'.
  I thought about 555: too limited for application. noisey?
  Or better yet: Bipolar LFO, +/- LED drivers.
  Something whipped up and permanent.
  Considering all that the microcontroller indeed is the superior tool, in every way except the unfamiliar and easy rarely share the same sentence, surely not with reference to such a name like microcontroller.
  could you try this out with a spare delay pedal? split signal to delay pedal to trigger an led and invite your ldr along to the party with another pedal too see what happens before heading towards pic territory.
  This is essentially where my planning was before RG tipped the chips out and picked the best ones for the application, thanked RG last time, thanking RG this time !
  And would work [fed into say Dr. Quack Evn. Filter...it'd light the LED just like the source did]. Just fine really, perhaps even better...it'd just be a slight misalign and 2 knob chore aiming for perfect or other time alignments...could be worse !
  I think even a dinkster pocket-corder device [8.95 ea. for 10?] would fit in a pedal, require low power, and do an accomodatable job of signal sending well enough to light an LED driving an LDR, would have same basic function as basic echo.
  I have spare echoes, one is rackspace-powercable affair, other is echopark, both of these options were deemed to cable, space/dedication consumptive for the application.
Convention creates following, following creates convention.