True Bypass Strip help

Started by LoonDawg, February 15, 2011, 08:25:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LoonDawg

I have built a True Bypass Strip, and finished wiring it today (this is what I want to make http://www.loop-master.com/product_info.php?products_id=48&osCsid=ljbvf988504t411gk5r4uhfmn6)

Here is the schematic that I used  http://www.singlecoil.com/tb-strip/dia4.html  which is from this site  http://www.singlecoil.com/tb-strip/tbstrip.html

Since wiring and testing I have found an issue. First the bypass didn't seem to work, and then I plugged in my tuner in front of the TB Strip and it started to work. The part I am having problems with is that only the first 2 of 8 work. The bypass works fine, so there is signal going through out each 3pdt switch. And when I plug in a pedal, or patch cable, and hit the switch it works, but only for #1 and #2. When I try for the others, there is just a buzz. They are all wired the same. I know this because when I wired them, I did each part 8 times (I wired the grounds for all 8 switches, then the input jacks for each 8, etc).

I can't see anything that looks out of place, or any wires that are wrong. Any ideas what might cause this?

Here are pics from what I have done, starting from the input (left/first pic). In order , picture 1 is switch #1, picture 2 is #2 and #3, picture 4 is #4, DC jack and #5.  The green wire that has electrical tape wrapped over it, is the resistor going to the LED cathode

Ice-9

It's difficult to say from the pictures you have supplied, but it looks like some of the stereo jacks are wired differently from others, ie green wire on one jack goes to the the tip connection on the left tag of the jack , wheras another jack has the green wire connected to the tip but on the right side tag and a third has a red or orange jumper wire across the switch connection (both left/right tip tags).
www.stanleyfx.co.uk

Sanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting the same result. Mick Taylor

Please at least have 1 forum post before sending me a PM demanding something.

Hides-His-Eyes

Those are switching jacks, the grounds aren't connected?

LoonDawg

I think it might be the switching jack thing. I haven't ever heard of those, but when I was soldering I assumed that when my instrument cable was plugged into the jacks that both the right and left side of the stereo jack tip were the same. Which means that all of the tip connections that I have a problem with need to be swapped, and some of the grounds also need to be swapped.
I will update once I have swapped them all and tested again

LoonDawg

I have now resoldered everything that was wired incorrectly, and every bypass works, except for #3.

It is the same issue, more of a buzz when a pedal is connected and the switch it pressed. Any troubleshooting ideas?

Here is the updated picture, after the fixes

LoonDawg

I found the issue, one of the contact points had bent. Now it works perfectly, thanks for all the help. I couldn't have done it without you guys

Hides-His-Eyes

knealebrown

nice case, did you bend it yourself?
''99 problems but a glitch aint one!''