changing resistors for a high gain fuzz face

Started by mordechai, February 17, 2011, 02:39:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mordechai

I'm building a FF geared for much higher gain than usual...Q1 will be around 120, and Q2 will be about 250.  I suspect that the standard resistor values will need to change to accomodate these increased gain ranges.  Anybody have suggestions about which resistors will require adjustment, or the types of adjustments that may be required?

Electric Warrior

the fuzz face was built with much higher gain transistors (BC108C) for a while. it doesn't need different resistor values, just find a pair of transistors that sounds good together.

zombiwoof

Quote from: Electric Warrior on February 17, 2011, 04:46:57 PM
the fuzz face was built with much higher gain transistors (BC108C) for a while. it doesn't need different resistor values, just find a pair of transistors that sounds good together.

The silicon FF's did have a different value of one resistor, most likely because of the higher gain trannies.  Look at the schematics for the two different versions and you'll see.

Al

Electric Warrior

Quote from: zombiwoof on February 17, 2011, 07:25:35 PM

The silicon FF's did have a different value of one resistor, most likely because of the higher gain trannies.  Look at the schematics for the two different versions and you'll see.

Al

I know. They swapped the 470Ω for a 330Ω to reduce the output a bit. No big deal.

zombiwoof

Quote from: Electric Warrior on February 18, 2011, 11:55:41 AM
Quote from: zombiwoof on February 17, 2011, 07:25:35 PM

Al

I know. They swapped the 470Ω for a 330Ω to reduce the output a bit. No big deal.

Maybe no big deal, but that is what the OP was asking about.

Al

LucifersTrip

Just realized the OP never stated whether silicon or germanium. If germanium, most likely more than that 1 resistor will change.
always think outside the box

rousejeremy

Sounds like you're trying to build a Peppermint Fuzz
Consistency is a worthy adversary

www.jeremyrouse.weebly.com

mordechai

I am, actually (re: the peppermint fuzz).  I love the sound of the dark peppermint fuzz and am trying to go for that.  I am using a germanium for both Q1 and Q2, but I am thinking about seeing how it would sound to have a silicon in the Q1 position too.

Dragonfly

Quote from: mordechai on February 17, 2011, 02:39:17 PM
I'm building a FF geared for much higher gain than usual...Q1 will be around 120, and Q2 will be about 250.  I suspect that the standard resistor values will need to change to accomodate these increased gain ranges.  Anybody have suggestions about which resistors will require adjustment, or the types of adjustments that may be required?

http://www.diystompboxes.com/analogalchemy

Check the link marked "electronics math helper" - then go to "Fuzz Face"

Quackzed

when i want a fuzz to sound more like a high gain distortion rather than a wooly thick fuzz i always lower the input cap significantly like .01uf or at least .1uf. sometimes as low as .001 uf. depending... if youre going to raise the actual 'gain' of the circuit via transistors and resistors, and leave the input cap alone your going to be amplifying alot of bass content and the tone will probably be very 'wooly thick' type fuzz tone...maybee thats what your after tho?  ??? but if you want a fuzz to be tighter and sound and feel more like 'high gain distortion' than fuzzz i'd definately recommend a smaller input cap.
maybee some other fuzzficionados  :icon_cool: will back me up here...
nothing says forever like a solid block of liquid nails!!!

skrunk

the input cap blend mod (I go from 0.0033uf to 2.2uf) is very useful I find.
as is the pre-gain mod (pot in series with input) for getting different textures out of the FF.
I've a hybrid on the breadboard now with 2n3906 (hfe 220) and AC125 (hfe 200+), with a 1k instead of the 470R.
using small caps across the base and collectors of each one is helping keep the noise down.

rousejeremy

Germanium fuzz can sound pretty high gain with a 2k gain pot and when the voltage on the collector of Q2 is a little higher than 4.5 volts.
This one is pretty high gain http://www.aronnelson.com/gallery/main.php/v/rousejeremy/audio/Germanium+Fuzz.mp3.html
Consistency is a worthy adversary

www.jeremyrouse.weebly.com

mordechai

Quote from: rousejeremy on February 19, 2011, 12:54:37 PM
Germanium fuzz can sound pretty high gain with a 2k gain pot and when the voltage on the collector of Q2 is a little higher than 4.5 volts.
This one is pretty high gain http://www.aronnelson.com/gallery/main.php/v/rousejeremy/audio/Germanium+Fuzz.mp3.html

That is a great sounding fuzz.  I would like mine to have a little more gain on tap, ergo the significantly higher gain transistors (Q1 120/Q2 250, or so).  But you raise a good point re: input caps.  I do want a nice full range without the tone getting too buzzy and high end, and I like the idea of having some dark "wool", but then again, I want to avoid it getting muddy. 

Also -- someone made mention of putting small caps between the base and emitter of the transistors to reduce noise.  Is this advisable for BOTH transistors or just the Q2?  And what value caps would you recommend to smooth things out, noise-wise?

vendettav

if anybody could give me a link to a nice hi gain Silicon Fuzz Face.. i'd be much thankful
check my music HERE

Shredtastic psycho metal!

LucifersTrip

Quote from: vendettav on February 21, 2011, 02:43:35 PM
if anybody could give me a link to a nice hi gain Silicon Fuzz Face.. i'd be much thankful

This one is great:

http://www.muzique.com/schem/projects.htm

Jack Orman wrote:
"I took a basic Fuzzface-type circuit and modified the component values so that a mosfet transistor could be used for Q2. The result was a high gain over-the-top distortion. "

LucifersTrip

Quote from: mordechai on February 21, 2011, 01:50:21 PM

Also -- someone made mention of putting small caps between the base and emitter of the transistors to reduce noise.  Is this advisable for BOTH transistors or just the Q2?  And what value caps would you recommend to smooth things out, noise-wise?

I use a small cap (~47-300pf) across collector & base of Q1 to eliminate noise

vendettav

oh well i guess i cant get a mosfet.. and well i have a few JFETS and NPN trannies left at my place.. if i oculd go with those i'd be really happy :)
check my music HERE

Shredtastic psycho metal!