Transistor Alternatives in Fuzz

Started by guyswan, March 02, 2011, 07:03:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

guyswan

hey,
i would like to make this layout, but it is hard to get AC128 transistors where i am from.
i can easily get 2N3904 transistors though.
would the fuzz still work with these transistors ?
and would i use PNP or NPN ?

thanks, Guy

P.S this is the layout - http://static3.nagi.ee/i/p/609/11/15227811ed62e0_o.jpg

petemoore

3904 is NPN transistor, makes negative ground easy.
 PNP transistor has internal diode in opposite direction to NPN< therefore every polarized component must be inverted from NPN/Neg. Gnd. [to PNP Positive].
 Socket the transistors if possible, find lower Hfe gain unit for Q1 than Q2, bias adjust the circuit with Q2C bias resistor.
 hard to find a 3904 <200hfe IIRC there aren't any, 2n4401...been a while, 2n2369 ? [make sure thats a bipolar...
 Memroy is out to lunch now for recalling ther low gain NPN Q part#'s.
  Gus has a FF schematic which shows in shematics, designed around 3904 [IIRC].
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

Hides-His-Eyes

That circuit is designed for PNP germanium transistors. It is positive ground and will not share a power supply nicely. You can get PNP Ge transistors mail order from loads of places. Otherwise, search for an NPN silicon fuzz face schematic, there are plenty going, and get some different kinds of NPN silicon transistors to try; 2n3904, BC109C, etc...

Otherwise, the transistor 2n3906 will slot straight into that layout.

smallbearelec

Quote from: guyswan on March 02, 2011, 07:03:08 AM
i can easily get 2N3904 transistors though. would the fuzz still work with these transistors ?

Pls check out my tutorial:

http://www.smallbearelec.com/HowTos/BreadboardSiFF/BreadboardSiFF.htm

You can do an NPN Fuzz Face using 2 x 2N3904, but the tone is likely to be harsh. You will get better results using the 2N3904 for Q2 and a lower-gain device for Q1. Then tweak the bias and do the other tweaks shown. The parts you need--or good work-alikes--should be available pretty much anywhere.

Regards
SD

thetragichero

i ordered the american germanium fuzz face pair from smallbear for like 11$
i spent more than that on the three shitty, lo gain ge transistors from mouser
not only is he a help to our small community, but he sends out fuzz face-tested ge transistors with the resistors to bias it up properly
if you haven't gotten it already: give him your business, he'll make your pedal sound awesome!