trouble integrating a tone control into circuit

Started by bobcunningham, March 04, 2011, 07:18:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bobcunningham

sorry if this is in the wrong area;
i'm going insane trying to get a tone control working with a bazz fuss circuit again. i did it once and didn't draw what i'd done before further mods.
can't get it to work again. i've got it 90% wired right now, but if someone could just do a little connect-the-dots for me, it would really help:

petemoore

Audio probe and DMM to sort out the signal routing.
  DMM voltage to determine if the active stages are biased.
  The dots look like they're workable, not sure about the Bazz current output being capable to drive a TS though.
   I would probably just throw a buffer right there in leu of calculating it, that way is driving the tone control for sure, buffer comes in handy at some time [IME] for some thing, calculation effort is minimized and the results come in as sound difference/improvement, or not.
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

bobcunningham

i don't have those tools yet, as i'm still a beginner. if someone could tell me where to attach the tone pot/circuit section of this diagram it would be a huge help.
since my electronics training is sketchy at best i'm doing things backwards; building then figuring out what does what.

Derringer

orange wire off the bottom right of that vero is the output
run that to the input of your tone control (this will create a high-pass filter though with C2 and the load of the tonestack ... it might sound ok, it might not)
run the output of your tone control to the #3 lug (the top lug of the 100k volume pot in that picture)
connect the middle (#2 or 'wiper') lug of the volume pot to the "from output effect" lug on the bypass switch
connect the #1 lug of the volume pot to ground.

Like Pete said though, you may run into trouble (low volume ... disagreeable tone) hooking that tone-stack to just the bazz fuzz circuit all by it's lonesome
but there's really only one way to find out
hook it up man and let us know how it sounds

here's a circuit similar to what you're attempting
http://www.home-wrecker.com/whisker.html

bobcunningham

thanks for the help. i'd just like to add that i successfully integrated these two circuits last week and the sound is wonderful. i should've mapped out what i did before attempting further modifications. modifications which led to my forgetting how it was wired in the first place.

petemoore

It sounds like what you described is shown within the Whisker Biscuit.
  Shown added to the front and back of that are BMP gain stages, as 1 pre-boost, and 1 gain recovery stage after tonestack losses.
  That's the Whisker Biscuit [mighty dern tasty snack I might add].
  It shows the bazz driving the BMP stack between the stages to the left and right of it.
Convention creates following, following creates convention.