Switching between 1 and 2 outputs.

Started by rosscocean, March 04, 2011, 09:13:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rosscocean

How would I go about making a pedal that gets a mono signal and puts out two identical mono outputs for two different amps. So not just an A / B box but an A / AB box?

Cheers
Ross

Hides-His-Eyes

MikeH

"Sounds like a Fab Metal to me." -DougH

rosscocean

Yeah so that it goes to one amp or both amps. Not one or the other, if your picking up what I'm putting down.

I'll have a look at ABY stuff. I thought they just selected one or the other though.

Cheers
Ross

Jimi W

Hi Ross.
Typically an A/B box selects either A OR B output. An A/B Y box selects either A or B on one switch and then both together (Y) on a second switch.
Take a look at ABY designs, search for The Big Mans ABY on here, it's quite a popular layout. It's pretty handy having the option of having either output on it's own.
If you do decide you just need A and then both together, you should be able to work out how to do it after looking at a few AB and ABY layouts. If you're struggling I'm sure there'll be plenty of people to help you here.
Jimi

rosscocean

Cheers Jimi I'll have a look at ABY stuff ;-)

familyortiz

This link is to one of the Hum Free A/B/Y threads with mucho info. One of the schematics shows exactly what you want in terms of switching, although I could see a version that switched at the opamp output sections instead of at the input sections. For 2 amps, you only need to transformer isolate one of the outputs to solve hum issues from ground loops, which plague passive designs. These are very simple designs which perform extremely well and rival the off the shelf offerings which are not cheap. Have fun...

http://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?topic=64924.0

rosscocean