Recommend me a 1 knob overdrive please

Started by guyswan, March 08, 2011, 06:20:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

guyswan

hey
i have an enclosure drilled for 1 knob which i would like to make useful.
im after a overdrive to give my guitar some light sparkly overdrive when kicked in.
can anyone link me or recconment me a circuit to build ?
thanks heaps !

Steben

simple electra distortion!
level knob, the rest is for your guitar volume.

The distortion can be tweaked a lot. (diodes, input impedance, blabla, ...) tons of possibilities.

input cap = controls input bass
cap parallel to diodes = post-distortion treble cut
diodes = germanium for wooly distortion, silicon for normal distortion, zener/LED/MOS for overdrive or resistor in series wit silicon, assymetric ...
680R = higher value for less gain, but more clarity (higher input impedance), useful as overdrive is desired
  • SUPPORTER
Rules apply only for those who are not allowed to break them

DougH

You can't go wrong with Gus's overdrive:

It doesn't even have one knob. But you could sub R8 with a 100k pot if you really need one.
"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you."

Steben

Quote from: DougH on March 08, 2011, 07:19:03 AM
You can't go wrong with Gus's overdrive:

It doesn't even have one knob. But you could sub R8 with a 100k pot if you really need one.

looks more like a booster / fuzz to me  ;)
  • SUPPORTER

DougH

It's a real overdrive. Real overdrives overdrive the amp a little with a particular EQ. That's the point.  :icon_wink:

This takes about a half a minute to breadboard and try. I would recommend anyone who is interested in this sort of thing to give it a try. You might be surprised...
"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you."

tuckster

You can use any overdrive circuit if you use trim pots for the pots that are not going to connect to the outside of the box. Maybe a Screamer with a trim pot for gain and tone and only a 16mm pot for the volume.
  • SUPPORTER

Steben

"one knob overdrive" associates to "guitar volume control"  :icon_mrgreen:
IMHO a fuzz face doesn't need a fuzz knob either. simply volume. the fuzz can be a trim pot set to 70-90%.
  • SUPPORTER

twabelljr

Here is another one that is very easy to breadboard and experiment with: http://www.diystompboxes.com/analogalchemy/sch/easydrive.html
Schematic is drawn with NO knobs with notes on where to add 2 if you want. I just used the volume control and IN4001 diodes. Nice overdrive. Had to use a 39k
resistor to get the collector voltage to 0.9v. Same things to try as always, different transistor, diodes, input caps etc.
Shine On !!!

Greenmachine

The electra was the first box I ever built!  I made the version without a volume knob;  It was a switch and an LED - looked like a little robot.  Used tag strip too.  Great times.

goulashnakov

(Transistor) Muff Fuzz (not the opamp one)

http://fuzzcentral.ssguitar.com/schematics/mufffuzztransschem.gif

A suggested mod is to decrease the input cap (to maybe .022u or .01u).  That's my favorite way to sparkle.
"[It] ain't about 'Booty.'  It's about Tranzzistahs... ya dig?"