Son of Screamer on Turret Board ?

Started by HOTTUBES, March 12, 2011, 03:12:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HOTTUBES

I looking for a Son Of Sreamer build on turret Board .
I have heard this is one of the better screamer clones to build etc .

Thanks for any help . :icon_biggrin:

azrael

Perhaps try to draw your own layout based on the schematic provided on Geofex.com?

R.G.

R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.

Ben N

• SUPPORTER

HOTTUBES

Cause i'm noob at building , and i find that turret board layouts easy to understand etc . :icon_redface:
Unless you have another idea ......

R.G.

Don't be embarrassed at that. That's actually a good reason.

But do take this as a chance to take the next step up. Perfboard is just like turret board, but with a turret everywhere there is a hole.
R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.

petemoore

Putting the opamp into a board w socket insures it won't get burnt.
  Without a socket is possible, I'd recommend perfboard and 1 solid core wire per opamp pin [more wires slows the solder in process enough to make the opamp fried by heat] to get the 'bundle' connections safely a bit a way from the opamp so those connections can then be soldered.
  Working without a board is rather difficult but can also be done, experience recommended on how to just barely heat 2 leads which are otherwise perfectly placed along each other..all in like <1 second on each of 8 pins...fried a few trying it this way myself.
  Perhaps just enough board to solder the opamp in/bring the leads to points where the heat will be able to take the time to soak through a 'fat' node without overheating the OA, then turrets.
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

Renegadrian

Try this one on vero, it's super easy!!!  :icon_wink:

Yeah I love the SoS!!!
Done an' workin'=Too many to mention - Tube addict!

HOTTUBES

What are the red squares on the board & op amp ?
Whats those two reds next to C3 cap ?  Diodes ?

Thanks for posting that pic  !!

Earthscum

Those are where you cut the traces. Be careful and make sure you get all the ones that are hiding under components in the pic.
Give a man Fuzz, and he'll jam for a day... teach a man how to make a Fuzz and he'll never jam again!

http://www.facebook.com/Earthscum

twabelljr

QuoteWhats those two reds next to C3 cap ?  Diodes ?
Yes, those two are diodes. The red squares with the dot must be cut like Earthscum said.
Shine On !!!

Renegadrian

Actually if you see the schem there should be 3 diodes, one at one side and two in series at the other. I made that by soldering the series couple togheter (snake style!). Else you can go by just one and one. Type is 1n4148.
Also, I added the filter cap and a protection diode (you see them a the bottom). they aren't mandatory, but as the layout had some free holes I put them in. Black diode as I have a bunch of 1n4007 from ol' bulbs (as the BULBS topic, I collected and dismantled a lot of broken ones from then) so I just toss one in, filter cap is always useful, can be 47 or 100ยต.

HOTTUBES

What do you find that works the best at cutting the traces on the board ?
The NEG -  side of the protection cap is the # 2 wire out to the Volume pot ? did i get that right ?

Thanks for the help !!!!

Earthscum

naw... you just misread the wording, no biggie though. What it is saying is that lug 2 of the volume pot is "out", there isn't an "out" on the board itself. The sentence just kinda is run-on from saying that the diode and cap were added.
Give a man Fuzz, and he'll jam for a day... teach a man how to make a Fuzz and he'll never jam again!

Renegadrian

The typical volume pot configuration is pin 3 tied to the output of the board, pin 2 goes to switch/jack, pin 1 to ground. As it is a very common configuration sometimes layouts omit the whole wiring explaination. Once you get it you'll never forget it!  :icon_lol:

HOTTUBES

So what do you cut the traces with , hmmmm  maybe a razor ????

HOTTUBES

Are the two diodes shown in the pic the clipper's ??

Earthscum

Quote from: HOTTUBES on March 13, 2011, 01:25:05 AM
Are the two diodes shown in the pic the clipper's ??

The red ones, yes.

HOTTUBES

After a proper build , how does this pedal sound compared to a TS9 etc ?
I was told its a very good TS build ...