Son of Screamer on Turret Board ?

Started by HOTTUBES, March 12, 2011, 03:12:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ben N

Quote from: HOTTUBES on March 12, 2011, 06:56:44 PM
Cause i'm noob at building , and i find that turret board layouts easy to understand etc . :icon_redface:
Unless you have another idea ......

Fair enough! I wrongly suspected some goofy mojo purpose--"I want my SOS to sound like a Plexi so I'm building it the way Marshall did!"--for which I apologize most humbly.

Re: perf. A great way to get started is with some of the projects at http://runoffgroove.com/, many of which come with easy perf layouts. Their Tube Reamer is quite similar to the SOS, and you could probably adapt the layout to make an SOS quite easily.

Besides vero/stripboard and perf, another possible option for a simple, single-IC circuit such as this is the prototyping boards that Radio Shack still had the last time I looked. It's like a hybrid between perfboard and an uber-flexible printed circuit.
  • SUPPORTER

petemoore

They're all good 'engines' and depending on the restof the vehicle...
  I built a Tube Reamer again [other one went with a fire] but might have opted for SOS, they are quite similar in that boost, distort are in the character, I added a treble control and tweeked it a little in HF's as such.
  Or maybe more like 'carbuerettor', we'll call this a very adjustable 2 barrel carbuerettor, change the jets for higher idle, or greater flow at low RPM or richer mixture at high RPM...either one or any one of them does/can do this.
  Changing back and forth the carbuerretors is one way to figure out which is preferrable, another is to get a good toolset that allows the tweeking of 1 choice [only one really fits on right at a time], and tweek it and your driving style so that the engine/wheels do what is expected or desired when possible.
  They're both of similar pedigree and the barks, while somewhat different will tend to share similarities such as pushing the speaker to be less linear in it's behaviour, perhaps causing a tube to contribute to the distortions. In todays setup here, the DOD280, TReamer [w/tone knob], Dist+, Stereo Analog Chorus or Delay, 2 tube preamps, 1 reverb, 2 tube output amplifiers, and 2 x 10'' speakers...each and all contributing to distortion.
  The example shows the TR in a typical application perspective: a small circuit block within a a chain which is many more blocks. It sounds of course more like a DIST+ since that is the 'engine' [booster/clipping circuit] where the signal departs from linearity in a big boot step.
  Some experiments and experimenters settle to prefer something like this:
  A 280's small amount of distortion and a good bit of boost in the first stage.
  TReamer boosting and softish clipping the boost/distort of stage 1.
  A Dist+ recieving a signal which has been twice bent, mangling it as much again...
  Clean tube preamp doesn't add much except boosts [and tone control] to prepare signal for output amplifier.
  Output amplifier which changes states of various states as fast as electricity or slower, interacting and reacting with a speaker which moves as fast as sound. The kinetic energies of the speaker influencing the amplifier, the amplifier...if it has 'spring' in the output, may sag and all these super short to as long as the phase cycle events contribute to make...the complex harmonic content we call 'nice distortion'.
  Substituting any one of the above:
  DoD could be boost for all I'd notice [until pretty long sustain notes let the compression turn up the gain and make it not fade-off quite as soon.
  The tube reamer of course could be a Tube Scre*amer, or SOS probably...the compression/boost offered by the Clipping Circuit^ pretty much makes the need for pre-compression superfluous [barely and rarely noticable compared to boosting a clipper].
  Stage 3...sees a boosted, compressed, distorted signal and then distorts it 'hard', the waveshape is now only a jagged mangle of what the comp input sees.
  Analog Delayline Circuit: Chorus or Delay...add analog delayline 'tone', output is 1:1 with input [no boost], and delay or chorus adds so that adds distortion but in a secondary way.
  Clean preamp boosts this mangled mess into a boosted version of itself, enough boosted so that the output tubes can make themselves worth their while [ie be able to be driven to ~around their max output or thereabout or less].
  Now we get to the power amp stage. It can be anything that powers speakers. It'll be able to add some distortion and interact with the speaker [tube output amplifier] or will be Solid State and try to keep it's output exactly linear with it's input [ie contribute 0 to distortion].
  And the speaker, which'll be either interacting and co-distorting with the tube output.
  Or, driven by the pre-distortions- [stages 1-4] and a clean preamp [boosting up the signal in prep for final speaker driving stage]...the speaker driving stage should have so much headroom that clipping here is impossible or possible to prevent at all times, if clipped a speaker-driving transistor or transistors is damaging to the mind and possibly the speaker too, very ugly out of time snapping jolt-tones.
  The speaker compresses and distorts all signals at all times. The suspension is mentioned in leu of describing how a speaker compresses, it is a 'sprung mass' and distorts in some ways which are similar to the way your eardrum distorts...pressure makes both 'interface substrates' [ie the ear 'drumhead' or the speaker cone-substrate] move and change shape [distort].
  And there you have it, or something like it.
  Sub the DOD for a boost, put anything like the SOS in stage 2, put whatever you want for hardest clipping circuit [stage three in this application is DIST+, DOD250 or other distorter will do very simi-same thing here], the Analog chips in my Chorus/Delay [now...analog delay chips sound like themselves, and my Digidelays don't...here nor there?].
  Ok...all the way into the clean preamp, mine are made with tube but the clean alternatives are probably just as good if not just different to prepare for output tubes a sufficient input signal [boosted up so output tubes can take that and convert it to high energies the output transformer can convert to energies the speaker can use to convert to air-movement-energies]...whew.
  Clean can be clean tube or SS is the point here, preamp is preamp to me, use whatcha got or get whatcha gotta have...
  So..then we get to the SS output/Speaker, the SS output will be quite clean [low distortion] or sound hideous and be hard on the ear/speakers.
  Otherwise SS not that different than Tube since the signal was super-mangulated by stages 1-3 even [1-4 if the analog BBD chips are in the chain].
  This is all wrong, I only typed it out as example to show how there are many things outside the Distorter Circuit which can allow the distorter circuit to make more than bypass switch click sounds, hence influencing [to some degree or other] 100% of the signal input and output of the distorter.
  What goesinta...comesoutas  [I'm quoting someone here].
  ...All circuits and speakers "distort".
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

HOTTUBES

Thanks for the detailed overview , now i'm even more reved up to build a SOS TS !!

Renegadrian

just in case...but I'd say go for the SoS!!!
Done an' workin'=Too many to mention - Tube addict!

HOTTUBES

Do you have any more pics of how the pots are wired ?
Thats the only thing unclear at this point ? 

thanks

caspercody

The drive is spelled out what to hook up. But the vol just shows to 3. So, for the vol number 1 to ground, and number 2 to output. That is a very common way to connect the vol pot.

Renegadrian

Yes, I wrote the same rule at the previous page. It is more or less the same layout, I just started weith the SoS one and made the mods required that follow TR schem at ROG site.

HOTTUBES

Is there a tone pot in this build , i don't see mention of it ?

deadastronaut

Quote from: HOTTUBES on March 12, 2011, 11:05:25 PM
So what do you cut the traces with , hmmmm  maybe a razor ????

i use a 5mm drill bit by hand...a couple of twists and its done....watch for tiny burrs...use a magnifier to check they are cut properly...good luck!.

oops i see that has been replied too.. :icon_rolleyes: :icon_mrgreen:
https://www.youtube.com/user/100roberthenry
https://deadastronaut.wixsite.com/effects

chasm reverb/tremshifter/faze filter/abductor II delay/timestream reverb/dreamtime delay/skinwalker hi gain dist/black triangle OD/ nano drums/space patrol fuzz//

HOTTUBES

Thanks for the tip about the drill bit !!!!!!!!!

How does one tie in a Tone pot to the SOS ??

Thanks  for any help !

HOTTUBES

Also  ,  can you use different clipping diodes other than 4148 / 914 etc ??

HOTTUBES

azrael

Yep, you could use any clipping diodes...

HOTTUBES

Does anyone know how to wire in a tone control to this screamer build ......sorry for the noob question ! :icon_redface:
Pics would be really cool !!   :icon_wink:
Thanks for eveyone's help ! :icon_biggrin:

Renegadrian

HOTTUBES , no problem being noob as long as what you ask is not DEAD CLEAR!  :icon_twisted:
if you see my SoS layout, you see where the pins of the pot are to be wired. Before you ask, just try to do a quick google search or inside this forum. This image is from the forum FAQ

else this is another view, found in a 3 seconds google search

Also for the diodes, as there are lots of topics regarding the TS and similar ckts, you can read and learn a lot just by reading, you can imagine that the diode question pops in a lot.

don't want to be rude man, but that's the way one should learn - just read a lot and try to figure yourself. if you read in my layout TONE 3 my 6-year-old cousin would understand quite easily!!!  :icon_lol:
you have a lot of information here in this topic and in the whole forum, it's up to you to use it, read and learn.

Also, you wrote that you didn't see a tone pot in the tube reamer, that shows that you just didn't read the page at ROG, else you wouldn't ask such a question.

HOTTUBES

Thank you for the Pics !

And yes , i will try and read more before i ask anymore noob questions .... 8)

twabelljr

Quote from: Renegadrian on March 12, 2011, 07:36:48 PM
Try this one on vero, it's super easy!!!  :icon_wink:

Yeah I love the SoS!!!

Right on. Use that pot wiring with this layout. Scratch the second layout, reply 24, if you want a tone control.
Shine On !!!

Renegadrian

please report back during/after the building!

HOTTUBES

Thank you to all who have commented on this thread !

i will be back with pics after its completed !!!    Wish me Luck ..... :icon_razz:

A special thanks to Renegadrian for his patience !!! :icon_cool: