LED input/peak/VU meter

Started by mdame, March 12, 2011, 06:15:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mdame

I was wondering how to wire an indicator LED to flash with the signal from the guitar.  The Diamond Compressor does this with a 2 color LED, as well as many preamps I have used.  I think that would be best, that way one color is on all the time and flash the other color.

mdame

Help! 

FSB has an unverified schematic for the Diamond Comp, and the LED section looks like it would work, but I dont really understand which parts are dedicated to the LED circuit and how to use it on other circuits.

jasperoosthoek

[DIYStompbox user name]@hotmail.com

jasperoosthoek

:icon_confused: That link doesn't look right.

mdame

It wont allow me to link to free stompboxes.  replace the dots.  sorry for the inconvenience.

jasperoosthoek

Quote from: mdame on March 13, 2011, 05:38:36 PM
It wont allow me to link to free stompboxes.  replace the dots.  sorry for the inconvenience.

I'm writing this on my smart phone... I'll check it tomorrow.

mdame

The flashing LED is ok, but I am looking for the color change so that there will be an LED on when the effect is on, regardless of playing.  I will read the envelope control article and go from there.

jasperoosthoek

This part takes care of the red led:

You could try something like this:

The green will go off when the red starts to burn. So without sound it will be green and then if you apply a signal it will go from yellow to red (green and red light combined is yellow).

Just breadboard it and see if it works or needs any tweaks.

Good luck!

mdame

Thanks! mainly i was unsure if i should include Q8 and where to put it in a different circuit.  I am guessing you connect the base of Q8 after a couple gain stages to prevent signal loss?

jasperoosthoek

Yeah, that would be a good idea. Yesterday after posting this I realized that the normal guitar signal is not loud enough to do anything. You will a gain stage anyway.

Q8 is just a unity gain buffer. But Q7 will only start to conduct when part of the signal exceeds the base-emitter voltage of about 0.5 to 0.6 volts, hence the larger signal needed. My guess is also that there has to be a resistor in series with C27. Right now the emitter of Q8 directly loads the base of Q7. That seems a bit awkward to me. If you breadboard it you could place a 1k or less resistor in series with C27. This is an unverified schematic so you never know if it would be there in the original circuit.

mdame

Any idea where to get the LED?  can only find green/yellow.

jasperoosthoek

I bought one at my local electronics shop, no idea where they got it from. Radioshack has one: http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2062549 But the picture shows an LED with two leads...

They can be found on ebay too: http://cgi.ebay.com/10-x-3mm-Bi-colour-Diffused-LED-Bi-red-yellow-green-/260736448784?pt=UK_BOI_Electrical_Components_Supplies_ET&hash=item3cb51a7910