Stickers for Pedal Labels

Started by chromesphere, March 17, 2011, 08:17:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

chromesphere

Just thought i would share something, doesnt seem to be much mention of this around.

I found these "renoir 3d Stickers" in a craft shop and thought they would be good to use, to replace some of the dynamo labels i used when i first started this hobby.  I'm sure you will agree they look much better then dynamo lables?  Still, they are no replacement for a good looking decal or etch, but they are quick to apply and cheap at only 3.20 a sheet.  The stickers come in upper and lowercase and they stick pretty well!  They are also good for labelling dark colored boxes.  I have a prepainted black box here i have been meaning to use for some time, I can finally use the thing!

The come in silver, black, bronze and gold colors.  I didnt like gold and bronze much, I only have black and silver.

Heres some photos of some of my early builds that i have replaced with these stickers.  Also, i've bought these stickers in australia, not sure you have you "renoir" stickers elsewhere in the world.

Paul

Pedal Parts Shop                Youtube

deadastronaut

yeah they look great...do you clear coat them after...?..
https://www.youtube.com/user/100roberthenry
https://deadastronaut.wixsite.com/effects

chasm reverb/tremshifter/faze filter/abductor II delay/timestream reverb/dreamtime delay/skinwalker hi gain dist/black triangle OD/ nano drums/space patrol fuzz//

chromesphere

Thanks deadastronaut.

I was thinking about this (clearcoating).  The ones pictured are old builds that i hadnt clearcoated.  The next build i do using these stickers, i might clearcoat and see what happens.  May aid durability?  Im curious to see what they look like with clearcoat over the top as well.

Paul

deadastronaut

i'd try a letter out on its own with clear on it first..it may react to it...better to be safe than sorry... :icon_wink:
https://www.youtube.com/user/100roberthenry
https://deadastronaut.wixsite.com/effects

chasm reverb/tremshifter/faze filter/abductor II delay/timestream reverb/dreamtime delay/skinwalker hi gain dist/black triangle OD/ nano drums/space patrol fuzz//

Steve Mavronis

Guitar > Neo-Classic 741 Overdrive > Boss NS2 Noise Suppressor > DOD BiFET Boost 410 > VHT Special 6 Ultra Combo Amp Input > Amp Send > MXR Carbon Copy Analog Delay > Boss RC3 Loop Station > Amp Return

twabelljr

I like them too. Very neat "freestyle" look. Are they hard to line up and apply i.e., do they stick to and crawl all around your fingers and jump around from static or do you just use an exacto knife to lift them off the sheet and put them where you want without much of a fight? Your pedals turned out nice!
Shine On !!!

chromesphere

Thanks guys,

Good idea deadastronaut. I will try that!

Placing them isnt as hard as i was expecting.  You cant get them EXACTLY straight (as you can see in the picture). But close-ish.

No issues with static at all, they are raised plastic stickers, not thin papery stickers. I'm using a pair of tweezers at the moment.  Just pick them up and drop.  Unfortunately if you have to move one, its easier just to pick it up off the pedal, throw it out and start again, then to try to move them after they've stuck.  Once they are fixed in place, they dont move!  

ALso, their a decent size, so probably wouldnt be a good option for tight spaces.  Still, I reckon their a good quick option for sparse boxes, particular dark boxes.

Paul.

Ice-9

They look great, and i like how they look a bit miss aligned , give character. If you do want to make them perfect though there is a way.

I do a lot of repainting motorcycles and placing decals, one thing that works for aligning decals up correctly is to wet the surface with a mix of water and car wash shampoo, this lets you put the sticker on then move it around and as the water dries off it does not effect the glue on the sticker. Depending on the adhesive on them this may or may not work but it's worth a try. ( it must be a car shampoo and not fairy liquid etc)
www.stanleyfx.co.uk

Sanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting the same result. Mick Taylor

Please at least have 1 forum post before sending me a PM demanding something.

chromesphere

Brilliant suggestion ICE9!  I will experiment with this! Cheers!
Paul

chromesphere

I gave this a go on my last 2 pedals that i've converted from dynamo labels to these stickers.  rubbed a wet tissue on the area before applying the letters.  It was MUCH easier to move the stickers around.  Once the water dries up you just press them down in place and they fix well.  You can align the letters fair easier this way. Thanks for the suggestion ice9!!!

Heres the last 2:

Taylor

These look pretty great for a simple, sparse style. If they have them in a different font I may try to grab some for when I'm feeling too lazy to etch a box.

chromesphere

Hey Taylor,

Unfortunately i believe they only have them in this font.

Thats pretty much the reason im using them (when i couldnt be bothered with waterslides).  Or on dark colored enclosures, that waterslides dont show up on as well.

Paul

arma61

Quote from: chromesphere on March 17, 2011, 08:17:58 AM
.....  Also, i've bought these stickers in australia, not sure you have you "renoir" stickers elsewhere in the world.

Paul

hi m8, those are really nice, I've been enquiring about that at the seller and directly to Renoir in AU and, as expected, shipping costs are  f$%&g high. I've got advice from Renoir they import these stickers from Holland... so does anybody of our Dutch friends knows who the producers/dealers are ?

Hartelijk dank mijn vrienden  ;D

thx m8s

Armando

"it's a matter of objectives. If you don't know where you want to go, any direction is about as good as any other." R.G. Keen

davent

Scapbooking suppliers have loads of letter stickers (plus stamps and inkpads)  that might be usable for pedal lettering. Are there scrapbook dealers on the far side of the Atlantic?

dave
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/photobucket-hotlink-fix/kegnjbncdcliihbemealioapbifiaedg