Unibit upkeep

Started by trjones1, March 20, 2011, 10:33:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

trjones1

I finally got a unibit a few months ago and it really is indispensable to me now, but... I have a problem with blobs of metal building up on the cutting surface, almost like they've melted on.  Now the holes I drill are too big because the blobs are expanding them.  I think that I need to buy a new bit and start over, but I'd appreciate any tips on how to stop this from happening in the future.

I've started using lubricants like Liquid Wrench while drilling, but since I already have so much buildup it's hard to tell if they're effective.  Anybody have any suggestions on how to keep my unibit clean?  Thanks.

Govmnt_Lacky

Unfortunately, that is the price you pay when drilling, cutting, or filing aluminum. Since it is a softer metal, you are not only drilling/cutting but also melting the metal. You will also notice this on drill bits. Also, you can see the results in the grooves on files and if you are bold enough to try.... grinding wheels  ::)

I usually clean my unibits the best I can between EVERY use. That means between EVERY HOLE I DRILL. It is really the only way I have found to lengthen the life of the bit.
A Veteran is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The United States of America
for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'

Taylor

Earthscum

You can usually chip the 'blobs' off with a utility knife.  I've worked with LOTS of aluminum... even dedicated "aluminum" bits (what a joke) got the build-up. The utility knife shouldn't damage the unibit. It's made to drill through stuff like the knife blade. If you can't chip it off, you can certainly just scrape it off with the blade. For what a unibit costs, you shouldn't need a new one until it gets dull. A bit of build-up isn't gonna kill it.
Give a man Fuzz, and he'll jam for a day... teach a man how to make a Fuzz and he'll never jam again!

http://www.facebook.com/Earthscum

trjones1

Thanks for the suggestions.  I'll try the utility knife approach, though other attempts at chipping off the excess haven't been overly successful.  Maybe I'll just use regular bits on holes that need tight tolerances.

MikeH

Keep your bit lubricated... that's the best way to prevent it.  "Tap Magic" is a good lubricant, but any drilling/thread cutting oil will suffice.  I even give a bit regular shots with WD40 while drilling if I'm out of cutting oil.

As for the aluminum thats gets stuck to the drill, usually I can flake them off with a flathead screw driver, just don't dig too hard or you can damage/dull the cutting edge.  But the steel is a LOT harder than the Al, so it shouldn't be too much of a problem.
"Sounds like a Fab Metal to me." -DougH

Paul Marossy

Quote from: MikeH on March 21, 2011, 02:23:59 PM
As for the aluminum thats gets stuck to the drill, usually I can flake them off with a flathead screw driver, just don't dig too hard or you can damage/dull the cutting edge.  But the steel is a LOT harder than the Al, so it shouldn't be too much of a problem.

That's exactly what I do.

skiraly017

I usually wait for them to go on sale at Harbor Freight, combine that with a 20% off coupon and stock up. I'll clean them as much as I can but when they get too gunked up I toss them.
"Why do things that happen to stupid people keep happening to me?" - Homer Simpson

Earthscum

I usually find that if it gets to the point that I have to use a knife, if I get it shaved down fairly close, the next buildup that I chip off usually takes the rest, or most, with it. I've had to save many drill bits, and even worse Mill bits. Baelin bits are a total pain to clean Al off of because of the fluted design. And they're sharp as a razor.

Another thing to do is just rip a couple holes through some scrap sheet steel. Use lube, like Mike said, and it should get a lot of the smeared stuff off... save a bit of labor if you have the scrap.
Give a man Fuzz, and he'll jam for a day... teach a man how to make a Fuzz and he'll never jam again!

http://www.facebook.com/Earthscum

spargo

This is weird, I don't do squat to my unibit and it's just like new.  Same with all my other drill bits.  Sometimes if there's lots of shavings stuck to it I'll blow it off, but that's it.  Maybe I just drill slower and don't melt everything?