dual pedal ch switching?! DPDT?

Started by Renegadrian, July 01, 2011, 09:00:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Renegadrian

Guys, this friend of mine plays in a local Queen tribute band, called EVERQUEEN (www.everqueen.com) and asked me to try the may queen. I let him try and he liked it. now his idea is to have 2 ckts (say, rhythm and solo). maybe the electrolytic on one will be slightly bigger (2.2µ and...).
Ok I have to figure the wiring for the switching...I have DPDTs. from the input signal goes to the first DPDT wired as millenium 2. The output of switch A should go to the B, with common in and out on middle pins and rhythm and solo in and out to upper and lower pins. that way you separate both the input and the output of the ckt that's not selected.
But...what if I want to use one half of the switch to drive channel LEDs? 9V at the middle and each channel positive led leg to the other two. so I have to sacrifice the "full bypass" (ckt) arrangement.
One solution would be to use a 3PDT, but haven't got them handy...

Do you think that wiring only only input (or output) to the channel switch and have the outputs (or inputs) tied togheter would lead to noise/strange behaviour or it's just non practical and would give bad results?!
Please shred some light!!! THX
ps I'm not going to sell the MQ or other ROG ckts as I respect them, just like he pays the parts and a couple of beers.
Done an' workin'=Too many to mention - Tube addict!

vendettav

how bout the channel switch goes at the end, meaning one half of DPDT receives the outputs from the channels to it's outer lugs and the major output goes from the middle lug (to bypass switch or whatever), this way the noise generated by the other one won't be heard, but to have a good splitted signal you'll want a little buffer where the separate begins (before the channel).
my two cents
check my music HERE

Shredtastic psycho metal!

Renegadrian

You mean something like this?! That was my first thought...

Fender3D

with 2 millenniums you'll get "true bypass" too
BTW
what if adding a transistor on millennium to achieve alternating LEDs?
never tried, just my 2 cents (of Euros  ;D )
"NOT FLAMMABLE" is not a challenge

EATyourGuitar

3PDT would be better. you can even do 3 leds. one for each channel and one for bypass. the only problem with your schematic is that its feeding two circuits all the time. 3pdt would let you have grounded input on each board when not in use. you may find that it sounds better or different when your not feeding two circuits at once.
WWW.EATYOURGUITAR.COM <---- MY DIY STUFF

Renegadrian

Quote from: EATyourGuitar on July 02, 2011, 10:50:27 AM
3PDT would be better. you can even do 3 leds. one for each channel and one for bypass. the only problem with your schematic is that its feeding two circuits all the time. 3pdt would let you have grounded input on each board when not in use. you may find that it sounds better or different when your not feeding two circuits at once.

Yes that's what I was thinking, I have no 3PDTs and I have to end the job quickly! That's why I wrote about the DPDTs!

Quote from: Fender3D on July 02, 2011, 09:44:29 AM
with 2 millenniums you'll get "true bypass" too

How you'd implement 2 milleniums!? I mean I know how to wire 2 circuits in series, using milleniums, you just have to cascade them...but how to use one as a channel switcher!?

what if adding a transistor on millennium to achieve alternating LEDs?
never tried, just my 2 cents (of Euros  ;D )

same as above

vendettav

Quote from: Renegadrian on July 02, 2011, 08:12:21 AM
You mean something like this?! That was my first thought...

yeah this, i think when it's not bypassed it won't be sucked (in termes of tone  :icon_lol: ) cause you've got a treble bosoter
but just to be secure i'd put a buffer right after the signal leaves the on-off switch (green line)
check my music HERE

Fender3D

Quote from: Renegadrian on July 02, 2011, 11:06:48 AM
How you'd implement 2 milleniums!? I mean I know how to wire 2 circuits in series, using milleniums, you just have to cascade them...but how to use one as a channel switcher!?

You have 1 lug in the ON/OFF switch, connecting to boards out(s) when "OFF" thus capable to activate a millennium
I'm referring to the enclosed .gif, of course...

Quote from: Renegadrian on July 02, 2011, 11:06:48 AM

same as above

Sorry this is useless since you have half CH switch just doing the job...  :icon_redface:
BTW
I never tried that, but the same current lighting the LED might turn on or off a transistor driving another "opposing" LED

Fender3D

Quote from: Fender3D on July 02, 2011, 02:54:31 PM
You have 1 lug in the ON/OFF switch, connecting to boards out(s) when "OFF" thus capable to activate a millennium

I meant:
You have 1 FREE lug....  :icon_wink:

erio fraga

Maybe the circuit with the switch on RG´s Panning For Fun at geofex can give you some ideas.

Rgds

Renegadrian

Quote from: Fender3D on July 02, 2011, 10:45:05 PM

I meant:

Yes the free lug is intended for the millenium driving the on/off LED. but what about the other two leds?!

HOTTUBES

I only posted this for reference etc ....

vendettav

Quote from: Renegadrian on July 03, 2011, 02:54:21 AM
Quote from: Fender3D on July 02, 2011, 10:45:05 PM

I meant:

Yes the free lug is intended for the millenium driving the on/off LED. but what about the other two leds?!
well if you do the way you and i were thinking in the beginning (and may be now as well? :P ) you don't hae to bother with anything else than what you have on the diagram you've posted up there :)
check my music HERE

Fender3D

Quote from: Renegadrian on July 03, 2011, 02:54:21 AM

Then you're ok...
the CH switch will swap them according to the effect selected.

unless you're willing:

LED1 on = Eff.1 on
LED2 on = Eff.2 on
LED1 and 2 off = bypass (no bypass LED)

then just connect the free lug instead of GRD on CH switch, plus 2 milleniums for LEDs

Renegadrian

OK V and F ( ;D) you got my point and so I am gonna do as I intended in the beginning, then I will report back...THX!!!  :icon_wink:

azrael

I think switching in a Brian May Treble Boost would be a more effective solo boost. ;)

Minion

Use 2 relays , one for channel switching and one for LED"s .....
Go to bed with itchy Bum , wake up with stinky finger !!