Mosrite FuzzRite Ventures 1590A 2000 Pound Bee

Started by tubelectron, March 21, 2011, 04:59:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tubelectron

QuoteThat's great!  I made the 1.5k correction to the schematic...Yes, on the datasheet online it shows 2SB56 hfe 80. Did you actually measure the hfe's of the original you had in hand?

Unfortunately no... It wasn't mine and I lacked time to do it !  :icon_confused:

But let me know the result if you made a trial ! I am very busy these times on tube amps, but I'll try to get on it ASAP...

A+!
I apologize for my approximative english writing and understanding !
http://guilhemamplification.jimdofree.com/

LucifersTrip

Quote from: tubelectron on July 02, 2011, 05:25:10 PM
QuoteThat's great!  I made the 1.5k correction to the schematic...Yes, on the datasheet online it shows 2SB56 hfe 80. Did you actually measure the hfe's of the original you had in hand?

Unfortunately no... It wasn't mine and I lacked time to do it !  :icon_confused:

But let me know the result if you made a trial ! I am very busy these times on tube amps, but I'll try to get on it ASAP...

A+!

Ok...I breadboarded with this schematic:

I used 2 transistors with  approx 80 - 85 hfe with very low leakage.

It worked right off and actually is a very nasty fuzz!  There is one problem...the 50K volume.
When I turned the volume from 0 to 10%, there was a much larger increase than expected...it was already at unity by 20% or 30%. Also, as the volume increased, the bass increased. By the time you get to 100%, it's insanely loud and totally bassy & muffled. It's similar to what would happen if you remove diodes from a diode-clipping fuzz...you'd be left with way too much volume and a big muddy mess.

I slowly decreased the volume pot. When I used a 10K it was pretty cool. The volume increases a little too fast and the last 30% was too bassy and muddy....but a 5K did the trick! ...a perfect, steady increase in volume and only little bass increase as you go. I almost want to think that the schematic has an error.

One more note...you may want to use a fuzz pot up to around 30 or 40K. I get a max fuzz at around that point.  In the last 10 - 20K, the fuzz will start to gate....and go downhill.

So, all in all a pretty loud, nasty fuzz. Now, I'll start experimenting with different transistors to see if I can get a better tone.

The voltages (e,b,c):

Q1: -.15, -.36, -.67
Q2: -.46, -.67, -2.40

always think outside the box

glops

How does it sound compared to the more common FY2?  Also, do you guys want to start a new thread with this schematic?  I'm sure there are many interested parties that would love to get a taste of the germanium FY2...

LucifersTrip

Quote from: glops on July 05, 2011, 06:54:05 PM
How does it sound compared to the more common FY2?

with the  5K vol pot it's just as nasty, but much louder...no 3rd boost stage necessary....but some of the harshness of the high end is gone because of the ge. I haven't even close to decided on the final transistors, so I have no idea how good it can get.

I'm also not sure if -2.4 on Q2's collector is where it should be.

Also, do you guys want to start a new thread with this schematic?  I'm sure there are many interested parties that would love to get a taste of the germanium FY2...

...already did that.

http://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?topic=92533.0
always think outside the box