Behringer GMX212

Started by dubcut, March 22, 2011, 09:33:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dubcut

Looking at a friends amp, a Behringer GMX212. (What a PILE!)

Output section seems to work, thru the slave inputs..The insert(FX Loop) and regular input do nothing. 

Little bit of geiger-counter noise going on....

Being what it is, I suspect to find something loose/poorly soldered in the Rear Board, which handles all the headphones, fx loop, cd in, etc.  Is there any common problem or component failure I need to look for -  I am no tech at all means, but can do some simple things.  (My luck it will be some SMT issue, which I have had poor luck with)

bubbaisbald

Hmm......

I wonder why you have yet to receive a response. Behringer makes some darn fine
equipment, I really feel as though you are putting them down. Is it possible that
someone (ie: your friend) attempted to mod the unit? I actually use that same unit
for everyday use, have yet to find a problem with it. On stage, I use a Bugera with
2 cabs, Behringer mixers, Behringer PA, and even Behringer cabs. If you did not know,
Bugera is a Behringer company.
Hmm, I have no problems, why would your friend?

blackieNYC

Geiger counter noise - this could be the sound of a failing switching power supply, which would be bad news. And a bad surface mount PS is a boat anchor for me but not everyone.   Is it possible that the preamp has a switching supply? The power amp may very well have another power supply.  This would be an unusual design just a few years ago but perhaps no longer. Google image a switching power supply - they all look the same really.
Sounds like you gotta crack it open and check for voltages in any case.
  • SUPPORTER
http://29hourmusicpeople.bandcamp.com/
Tapflo filter, Gator, Magnus Modulus +,Meathead, 4049er,Great Destroyer,Scrambler+, para EQ, Azabache, two-loop mix/blend, Slow Gear, Phase Royal, Escobedo PWM, Uglyface, Jawari,Corruptor,Tri-Vibe,Battery Warmers

pinkjimiphoton

while i dearly love my behringer v-ampire head and the fc1010 controller,
sorry, i HAVE to rank on behringer. cheap crap built to beat a price point. and i LIKE some of the behringer stuff.

but they cheeze out on a lot of products... hollow nylon shafts on pots on a guitar amp? those are gonna survive road abuse?

first thing i had to do was learn how to fix them, as the replacement parts are a PIA to find.

the clicking noise is the amplifier trying to boot, and shutting down because there's something blown or shorted in the power supply.

i bought a behringer 900 watt pa recently on ebay... for my usual uses, it seemed it would be great.

the FIRST GIG the power amps blew on the first song. luckily ebay and paypal took my back and i got my money back, but i mean... high quality?
oddly, the mixer and effects survived. the amps click. they try to fire the class d digital power amps four or five times, then they shut down.

this is high quality?

i cry shenanigans, cuz it's some of the nicest SOUNDING built like poo crap i have ever encountered. high quality and behringer sadly don't seem to go hand in hand together most of the time.

i am still hurt by the pa thing blowing up. luckily, we got thru the gig using our behringer powered monitors for mains. :icon_rolleyes:

that said, my percussionist in my old band lost one of them powered monitors on the highway... he had two of 'em strapped to the back of his harley like saddlebags, and one broke free. despite rolling a 1/4 mile down the highway at 80mph, it didn't even phase the dang thing.

so... somethings yes, good quality, nice sound.... sadly, every single behringer piece that isn't a mixer or powered cab that i or any of my friends have bought had blown up, and is unfixable, to boot.

and forget customer support. " buy a new one " is what i'd gotten when bitching about stuff in the past.  so..... ymmv

now.... to the OP.... try bridging the effect loop with a guitar cable and see if it suddenly works. i have fixed probably 30 behringer amps  (and crates, and even marshalls) over the years... often if someone doesn't use the fx loop,  over time corrosion builds up on the switching jack contacts in the send/return jacks and eventually the amp just plain dies or becomes intermittent. if the patch cord fixes it, clean the jacks and you'll be back in business.

with this particular amp also, be wary and on the look out for cold solder. these amps sound @#$%in KILLER when they work, but often need a bad joint or 40 touched up.
  • SUPPORTER
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace."
Slava Ukraini!
"try whacking the bejesus outta it and see if it works again"....
~Jack Darr