Superfuzz: comments/concerns ... Y'alls' two cents, please?

Started by Brossman, March 26, 2011, 07:24:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gila_Crisis

interesting topic, since for a friend I'm gonna build him a super-tweaked superfuzz!
Lately I'm really in love with this kind of design, especially with the Boss variation on it, the Hyper Fuzz (on which I modded some little things).

On this SF I just adapted some values like on the Hyper Fuzz, Made the notch filter variable to have a mid control (like in the Zvex Octane), switch for clipping diodes (ge or si) with a pot for saturation control (like Derringer has done), an added 2 tone active control (the HI+Low tone section of the Hyper Fuzz) and a sag control for lowering the voltage suppliy (which on my idea wil act only on the first part of the circuit, not on the tone control and on the last stage of Q6).

I'll let you know what this thing will sounds like. If in the meantime you have some suggestion, please let me know ;)

DiscoVlad

Quote from: Brossman on March 26, 2011, 07:16:20 PM
How about this schematic?  Can anybody verify the pinout on this?  Compared to other SF-schemos, it seems like the 2n2222's are just swapped in...

I can, it's my drawing!

... which has some errors. C13 should be 1nF, and R18 and R22 should be 15k or 18k (alternatively leave them 22k, and replace the 10k trimpot with jumpers to ground).
I think there may be some other problems as well since I could never get it working to my satisfaction. So it got shelved.

To answer your question, yes the 2n2222's were just swapped in. I don't have an old schematic to hand but the originals mostly used 2sc828 transistors, which are similar specs to the 2222. Several other superfuzz threads on here and the "other" site also mention using 2n2222's or other similar lower gain transistors.

That said the super fuzz circuit seems to be a lot more tolerant of transistor specs than something like a fuzz face/tone bender is, so if what you use sounds good, there's no reason to change.

LucifersTrip

very cool thread. It's great to read more about one of the classics discussed. After seeing that monstrous Fu Manchu gig [performing "In Search of" in it's entirety], I started to think about the SF again.

while most heavy/stoner bands use Big Muffs and Fuzz Faces & variants, one of their guitarists uses a Superfuzz...which is a beautiful thing to hear cranked to 11
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UemrBH1AkY4
www.youtube.com/watch?v=evJsFwxrv2E

For building an original, did anyone note the voltages of any of the key spots (ie, the transistors)?
always think outside the box

DiscoVlad

LucifersTrip

Quote from: DiscoVlad on November 29, 2011, 01:18:54 AM
^^^ Yes, they did.

Cast your eyes over this thread, started by Fu Manchu's Bassist... http://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?topic=64068.0

Beautiful!  small world...hahaha

I should've searched without the "-" in the middle

thanx much
always think outside the box

Gila_Crisis

interesting those readings, maybe I'll gonna check them on my build.

Btw, these are the mods I made once on my FZ2, maybe could interest someone ;)
- swamped all 1uF caps to non-electrolitics
- I jumpered R27 to have a bit less gain, especially on the Clean Boost, this gave me the possibility to have unity gain with the Gain pot turned all the way down
- I substituted R44 and R56 with two 22k resistor and putted a 10k trim going to ground like on this schem of the superfuzz: http://www.aronnelson.com/gallery/main.php/v/Gila_Crisis/Fuzz/superfuzz.gif so that you can now trim the octave effect
- I substituted also IC2 (the IC of the tone control) with a OPA2132 to have a better response of the tone control section, especially while using the clean boost. I also tried a OPA2134, but the 2132 gave a better rounder low end.
- I also tried germanium clipping diodes, but after a trial period I turned back to the original SI, since I liked better the tone.

I have to tell I'm really enjoying this Boss FZ2, and the fact it has a clean boost function makes this a really useful pedal! (and sometimes I'm thinking about buying a second one. I use it normally in front of other distortion devices, I like more to run fuzzes thru an already distorted/overdriven sound, than using them alone!)

Gila_Crisis

I found (while search on the net) a pair of other really interesting mods for the SF.
first if break the connection of the 470ohm resistor going to Q4, you'll have an octave free fuzz.
second if you wanna add a cool saturation control you can substitute the 1k8 res and the 10uF cap going from the emittors of Q4-Q5 to ground with a 2k with one end at the emittors to other at ground and the 10uF cap going to the central pot-leg to ground.