Problem with PT80 Delay build

Started by PCR, March 26, 2011, 08:54:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PCR

I am building a PT80 with a board purchased from GGG.  The effect is not changing the sound of the guitar at all.  Switched in or out the sound is the same.   I have checked all the component values and everything seems to be correct.  I tried replacing all of the chips, and there is still no effect - pure guitar signal yes, but no effect.   I checked the pin voltages with power on but the unit unloaded and some are not in line with the ref voltages posted on the GGG site.  All are correct except for:

Pin 4 of the TL072 should be 0 but is .8mv

Pin 5 of the PT2399 should be 2.8V but is 5V
6             should be  2.5V but is 11.3mv
7         should be .9V  but is unstable starts at 2.29 and goes up
8         should be .9V  but is 4.62V
9         should be 2.5V  but is 4.81V
10         should be 2.5V  but is .54V

Pin 1 of the SA571 should be 1V but it is unstable

Here is a link to the build info on the GGG site:

https://www.generalguitargadgets.com/projects/20-modulationecho/125-pt-80-delay

Please let me know if you have any ideas about what I should try.
Thanks!!

PCR

anybody have any ideas?  I am completely stumped and would appreciate any suggestions about what to try.  Thanks!

ronh95

I wasn't going to weigh in, as I'm new to pedal building, but since no one else has...  = )

I recently built one of the from a GGG kit and it checked out right on the voltages listed and works great. Were you taking voltages with something plugged into the stereo input jack so full power was getting to the pedal? I'm guessing you did or you wouldn't have any voltage readings at all. If the thing isn't making any change to the bypassed sound when it's engaged, I'd be looking at all offboard wiring to jacks/pots/switches.

Did you socket the ICs? I was wondering if heat damage to a component might be an issue. The sockets are part of the kit and eliminate possible cooking of components.

I have to say, the GGG kit was wonderful to assemble. Beautiful circuit board, top quality parts and great layout/instructions made it a breeze. I already had a large enclosure so ordered it without one and used the GGG drill template. Sourcing the parts myself only saved me about $5, so I went w/the kit and would do it again.

PCR

Thanks for the responses.  I did socket the IC's and did check the voltages with the unit fully powered.  I have reconfirmed that I have the proper value resistors and capacitors in the right places and the diodes and chips are oriented correctly, and that the off board components are wired correctly.  I had ordered two sets of chips from the supplier (Futurlec) and there is no effect with either set of chips.

Any other ideas?
Thanks!

maarten

disconnect the repeats by taking out the 22k, 1 uF or taking the repeat pots out. Take out the PT2399 and connect pin 16 to pin 14 in its socket (find a piece of wire that fits). Then check wether the circuit is working properly (clean sound, no distortion, right voltages whenever relevant). If all of this is working correctly, the fault has to be with the PT2399 itself or the circuitry associated with the PT2399 (connections, 7805, delay time pot etc.) --> try to narrow down the problem.
Maarten

Govmnt_Lacky

1) Read this link: http://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?topic=29816.0
2) Follow the links instructions
3) Repost with the required info
4) Post some pictures of your build. Component AND solder side of the board along with a good pic of the off-board wiring.

That will help you get it fixed 10X faster.  ;D
A Veteran is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The United States of America
for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'

PCR

It turned out to be defective PT2399 chips.  I had purchased 2 from an overseas supplier (no wonder they were half the price), and both were bad.  I got a replacement from Small Bear and the unit works perfectly.  Lesson learned!!!

Thanks to everyone who responded with suggestions!!!