SHO build with Problems ?

Started by HOTTUBES, March 29, 2011, 12:28:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HOTTUBES

I have built a SHO circuit and installed it into a 1590B inclosure , my schematic & diagram is from IvIark with the Tiltle " ZVEX SHO TURRET "

I'am using the fallowing components etc .

BS170
5k rev log pot
10meg.  ohm resistors  x 2
5.1 k
100 k
10 uF cap
100 nF  cap
3PDT  switch
5 mm LED

Battery Voltage is 8.76 V
Note : i'm not running a internal battery in this build , its will be run on external DC only !
I have checked everythng several times , and still have not got it to work !!

Here's short description :

It will pass audio , but its all muddy / Farty & distorted  like when you put a diode in backwards etc .
Its also very quiet even at full volume . The pot is scratchy as it should be .....
When you switch the foot switch it goes back to full by pass , full volume and sounds right ! ( Effect off )

Also , the LED does not work at all , and the strange part is that it has only 1.68 volts at the led .
I have installed a 2.2 k resistor on the POS. + side of the Led , and checked & observed the proper
polarity . If i remove the resistor it will work , but blows my Led in a few short seconds ? I find this
kinda strange ???

I have wired the switch like this ......

Thanks for any help !
I must warn you ....i'm a noob !!  LOL !!

LucifersTrip

Quote from: HOTTUBES on March 29, 2011, 12:28:34 AM
I have built a SHO circuit and installed it into a 1590B inclosure , my schematic & diagram is from IvIark with the Tiltle " ZVEX SHO TURRET "

Here's short description :

It will pass audio , but its all muddy / Farty & distorted  like when you put a diode in backwards etc .
Its also very quiet even at full volume . The pot is scratchy as it should be .....
When you switch the foot switch it goes back to full by pass , full volume and sounds right ! ( Effect off )

consider removing the switch from the circuit and wiring straight thru to simplify & eliminate that as a problem

Also , the LED does not work at all , and the strange part is that it has only 1.68 volts at the led .

What size led are you using?
I believe a 5mm needs at least 1.8v

I have installed a 2.2 k resistor on the POS. + side of the Led , and checked & observed the proper
polarity . If i remove the resistor it will work , but blows my Led in a few short seconds ? I find this
kinda strange ???

the obvious would be that you're letting the full battery voltage hit the led. you definitely need a resistor

good luck
always think outside the box

HOTTUBES

Thanks , i will have a read ...... ;)

Paul Marossy

Sounds like a misbiased transistor to me.

HOTTUBES

I was working on this problem last and found that i some how installed the wrong resisitor that sits between the Drain & gate :icon_redface: , it should have been a 10 MEG , but i installed a 1 K resisitor in its place . I have since replaced it with the proper value ( 10 Meg ) , but it still sounds way off imo ......

I have  checked my work on the board as well , as far as i can tell , it all checks out OK ! ( but i must be missing something !! >:( )

Here is the measured voltages at the transistor with effected circuit ON .
These voltage values do not change when in by pass as well ..

D = 4.48 v
G = 2.23 v
S = .475 v

Could this have damaged the trasistor ( BS170) ( NTE490) ?
What resisitor controls the bias ?

Thanks for your help !!

HOTTUBES

I replaced the BS170 trasisitor with a new one - no change still sounds crappy !!
I'm still not sure what i have done wrong ...... :icon_confused:

HOTTUBES

any other thoughts on this matter .......

It sucks being a Noob !!  :icon_cry:

IvIark

Are you sure you've connected DGS to the right tags as marked up?  When I did most of the tagboard layouts I just used the transistor symbol as a graphical representation to show a transistor rather than to show the specific orientation, which is why I mark up the tags with the required pins.  Failing that can you post a pic of the board to see if anything obvious pops out.

Paul Marossy

Quote from: IvIark on March 30, 2011, 04:34:41 AM
Are you sure you've connected DGS to the right tags as marked up?

Yeah, good point. The transistor might be in the circuit wrong. Always check those pinouts!!!!!

HOTTUBES

I have installed the BS170 as shown in your diagram , left to right   Drain - Gate - source .
with the drain connected to the  10uF cap and the source connected to the 3rd pin on the pot .etc

D G S

Thank you for you help !!!!

IvIark

Well that's as it should be then.  It is possible that the mosfet has blown because they are susceptible to static and so it's definitely worth trying a new one, or you could have a cold joint somewhere in the soldering perhaps?  The layout has been verified so we know it should work, so maybe if you could post a pic.  You can sort out these little glitches quite quickly sometimes with more than one pair of eyes on it.

HOTTUBES

Its possible that may have happened , but i replaced it with a second one , with the same results ....

Is it possible to have the diodes in backwards ?
One should be facing the transistor , and the other towards the 9 volt pos+ wire etc .

How does one test to see if the transistor is blown ?

Thanks again for your help !

I will take some pics of the board and post them later ....

HOTTUBES

Ok , here is some pics of the board , its not pretty i must warn you !!!! :icon_redface:
Please keep in mind this is my first build ....

The soldering looks nasty , but i have checked it out , and there's no bridges that i can see or can test with my DVOM ...

IvIark

Your layout looks fine to me at first glance, but that last resistor to ground from the output, I see that as brown, black, brown, gold, is that right?  If so you've used 100 ohm instead of 100K.

HOTTUBES

Ah !!     Just goes to show that even when you think you have checked it all , ya need to check it again !!!

I swapped out the 100 ohm for a 100 K , and BANG !!   IT WORKS !!!( Imagine that ! )

IvIark , Very Cool of you to help out on this SNAFU of mine !!
A tip of the hat  to you ....

Thanks to all who posted on this thread ........

IvIark

Excellent, glad you sorted it out.  An extra pair of eyes helps all of us from time to time

Paul Marossy

Quote from: HOTTUBES on March 31, 2011, 08:17:04 PM
Ah !!     Just goes to show that even when you think you have checked it all , ya need to check it again !!!

I swapped out the 100 ohm for a 100 K , and BANG !!   IT WORKS !!!( Imagine that ! )

Yay!