rebote delay 2.5

Started by liagasg, March 31, 2011, 08:35:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

liagasg

I've built the Rebote Delay 2.5 using tonepad layout on a board I etched.
I had a problem with the power supply. Solved it. The effect worked twice. I read all the debugging info/help I found in this forum.
Yesterday I thought to check it before I put it in it's enclosure. FAILURE.

I spent the whole evening reading, and measuring. My mind got in a dead end.
This morning I started checking all over again.
The same thing : the signal goes in, i get a sound (like bypass) but no delay. With the power disconnected I got no signal.

I measured the power. I got a problem! THe DC I am putting in the board is 9.3V. The cables on the board when connected to power read 4.5V.
This means I got a short or something?
Any suggestion?
Warlord Custom

Govmnt_Lacky

1) Go to this link: http://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?topic=29816.0
2) Follow the instructions.
3) Repost with requested info.

Will have it fixed in no time  ;D
A Veteran is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The United States of America
for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'

tasos

check that delay pot is connecting properly! ;)

askwho69

Quote from: Govmnt_Lacky on March 31, 2011, 08:45:16 AM
1) Go to this link: http://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?topic=29816.0
2) Follow the instructions.
3) Repost with requested info.

Will have it fixed in no time  ;D

+1 helpful than voltmeter :D
"To live is to die"

wakeuptone

Quote from: liagasg on March 31, 2011, 08:35:26 AM
I've built the Rebote Delay 2.5 using tonepad layout on a board I etched.
I had a problem with the power supply. Solved it. The effect worked twice. I read all the debugging info/help I found in this forum.
Yesterday I thought to check it before I put it in it's enclosure. FAILURE.

I spent the whole evening reading, and measuring. My mind got in a dead end.
This morning I started checking all over again.
The same thing : the signal goes in, i get a sound (like bypass) but no delay. With the power disconnected I got no signal.

I measured the power. I got a problem! THe DC I am putting in the board is 9.3V. The cables on the board when connected to power read 4.5V.
This means I got a short or something?
Any suggestion?

Which section that you got voltage 4.5v.?

liagasg

OK, so here I go again with all the info.

Project : Rebote Delay 2.5 from tonepad.
http://www.tonepad.com/getFileInfo.asp?id=98
on the link you can see the layout and the schematic.
No mods, I just build it the way it is on the tonepad layout.
I etched the board.

The unit worked just fine. I heard a kind of noise, so I thought it was the potentiometers. I decided to resolder them. From that moment, something went wrong.
I start the measurement procedure with NO POTS on the board. I got so pissed that I cut them off.

So, the DC power source coming from my power source (I do not use batteries since the drop low) reads 9.23Volts.

Connecting that 9.23V power on the board, having the black lead of the multimeter on board ground, and probing the RED input cable, the DC reads 4.43V. (I guess that;s my major problem but I still don't know why.

IC1 (PT 2399)
1=3.12V
2=1.56V
3=0
4=0
5=goes from 1.64 to 2.7 (maybe because I had no pots connected)
6=1.55
7=0
8=0 to 0.34
9=1.53
10=1.54
11=1.54
12=1.54
13=1.54
14=1.54
15=1.54
16=1.45

IC2 TL072
1=2.2
2=2.2
3=2.2
4=0
5=1.75
6=2.2
7=2.2
8=4.49

IC3 78L05 Positive 5v Reg
1= 4.47
2=0
3=3,1

Any help appreciated
Warlord Custom

MikeH

It's physically impossible for you to get 4.47v off you regulator, and 3.12v at pin 1.  You might want to have a look at that area.
"Sounds like a Fab Metal to me." -DougH

Govmnt_Lacky

Quote from: MikeH on March 31, 2011, 11:22:07 AM
It's physically impossible for you to get 4.47v off you regulator, and 3.12v at pin 1.  You might want to have a look at that area.

+1

You should have your input voltage (+9VDC) at Pin 1. You should have V- (or GND) at Pin 2. You should have +5VDC at Pin 3.

Also, you should have V+ at Pin 8 of IC2 (dual op amp). That means you should have +9V there.

I suggest you ensure your ICs are installed correctly. Then, trace your input power path from where the +9V is injected into the board and check for solder bridges, bad traces, bad components, and bad component values. Something sounds shorted along the power path between power input and the 5V regulator.

Good Luck  ;D
A Veteran is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The United States of America
for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'

tasos

here are the voltages i get from my pt2399....
1)4,92
2)2,45
3) -
4) -
5)0,49-4,21
6)2,47
7) -
8) -
and all pins from 9-16 voltage is 2,46...

liagasg

Quote from: Govmnt_Lacky on March 31, 2011, 12:27:47 PM
Quote from: MikeH on March 31, 2011, 11:22:07 AM
It's physically impossible for you to get 4.47v off you regulator, and 3.12v at pin 1.  You might want to have a look at that area.

+1

You should have your input voltage (+9VDC) at Pin 1. You should have V- (or GND) at Pin 2. You should have +5VDC at Pin 3.

Also, you should have V+ at Pin 8 of IC2 (dual op amp). That means you should have +9V there.

I suggest you ensure your ICs are installed correctly. Then, trace your input power path from where the +9V is injected into the board and check for solder bridges, bad traces, bad components, and bad component values. Something sounds shorted along the power path between power input and the 5V regulator.

Good Luck  ;D

I know. You are right, but I've almost gave up trying! I don't know why the DC power drops at half (almost) when the board switches to ON position. I mean, there is noway to get 9V when connecting the power to the board. I am sure thats my problem, but I cannot spot it so far.
It was all going well. I had measured everything when it worked fine. But know I cannot spot the problem.

So far, by connectivity check, looks like there is no solder bridge (but i guess there is somewhere).
What I've also found, is that the signal IN gets a 2.7V. Does this helps?
Warlord Custom

slacker

If you've used sockets remove all the ICs including the regulator, and measure the voltage where you should have 9volts. If you get 9 volts stick the regulator back in and measure again, if you still get 9 volt's check the output of the regulator is 5 volts, if it is stick the opamp back in, measure again, if everything's groovy put the PT2399 back in cross your fingers :)

liagasg

Ι might sound extremely STUPID now, but I figured the following :

Having used the Power Supply from Tonepad
http://www.tonepad.com/getFileInfo.asp?id=111

i found that although I got 9.23V on the output power jack, when I connect it to the board, the voltage drops..
I used a different power supply (transformer from an official pedal) and there is no voltage drop. The values are OK.

I guess, when I will buy new pots and connect them, I will have a positive feedback. It might work..
God, I hate the power supply I build..
Sorry for the trouble, but stay in touch for the news..
Warlord Custom

liagasg

The problem was the POWER SOURCE.
I changed the input power, and "voila"  ;D

The delay works PERFECTLY.

Sorry for the inconvenience..
Warlord Custom

alparent

Good.......so now start a new post so we can fix that power supply!  :icon_wink:

askwho69

how was the sound like? mind was echowish didnt like it much.. not like the other delay... sounds like microphone echo :D :icon_mrgreen:
"To live is to die"

liagasg

the truth is that the PT2399 is an ECHO processor. It does sound like echo, but playing around with the pots, you may get something interesting.
It 's also a bit noisy in max settings.
Warlord Custom

tasos

Quote from: liagasg on April 02, 2011, 07:59:00 AM
the truth is that the PT2399 is an ECHO processor. It does sound like echo, but playing around with the pots, you may get something interesting.
It 's also a bit noisy in max settings.
i had same issues...i changed the 560pf to 3.3nf and the buzz is now gone! ;) but i don't like that the repeats are getting dirty as youincrease delay time[this is not because of my mod]

liagasg

I also by mistake inverted the polarity of the power, which cause a "distraction" of the electrolytic capacitor, and the 78L05.
I replaced them, and everything is OK. But that brought me the following question :

What Kind of diode should I use in the power input, in order to avoid a wrong polarity?

Also, what resistor value should I use in the led in order to keep the power consumption in low levels?
Warlord Custom

askwho69

yah its really an echo processor :D it will sound echo in lower setting but in higher its sound so analog :D any other mods on his pedal like adding volume? flexible repeats?  or delay? :D

ps.. ohh polarity is the biggest problem in Diy .. for me in 1st try, if it doenst work i quicky remove the power then check again the wiring's 
"To live is to die"

tasos

i think that any power diode will do...all 1n400x series....[4001,4002,4007]this diode should be used from power to ground...