troubleshooting Bazz Fuss with Darlington VERO LAYOUT INCLUDED

Started by bobcunningham, April 01, 2011, 07:16:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bobcunningham

ok. please excuse the few redundancies and wastes of space on the vero layout i did.. still learning. my problem here is that i figured a Darlington pair of mpsa20's would smooth/stretch out the note decay higher up on the neck. i'm reasonably sure i've wired this up correctly, but regardless of the transistor type, and diode type i'm getting a lot of farting sounds and gating; no usable fuzz. i've successfully build ~ 10 different Bazz Fuss variations but this Darlington pair is really stumping me. i've tried different value collector resistors, as well as adding a 100k resistor between the collector and base. what do i need to do to get a decent fuzz sound with smooth note decay from a Bazz Fuss-style circuit?

here's what i've put together:

thnx

Sam

I've worked with many different Bazz Fuss based circuits. And would gladly help you out but a schematic would be a lot easier to read...
"Where's the paper bag that holds the liquor?
Just in case I feel the need to puke." - Silver Jews

blooze_man

It looks like your output is connected to ground. Also, the diode cathode should be connected to the base of Q1. You have it on Q2's base which is connected to Q1's emitter.
Big Muff, Trotsky Drive, Little Angel, Valvecaster, Whisker Biscuit, Smash Drive, Green Ringer, Fuzz Face, Rangemaster, LPB1, Bazz Fuss/Buzz Box, Radioshack Fuzz, Blue Box, Fuzzrite, Tonepad Wah, EH Pulsar, NPN Tonebender, Torn's Peaker...

bobcunningham

thanks for the help! your instruction fixed everything. i HAD picked up on the GND/OUTPUT issue thankfully. now if i could just get a little more sustain out of the higher notes....
any ideas?