Uses for these tubes??

Started by Govmnt_Lacky, April 05, 2011, 03:32:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Govmnt_Lacky

I put out a few feelers to some of the "tube savvy" forumites and have not received any responses so, I will put out an ALL CALL.

I have the following tubes that look interesting and may be well-served for a stompbox or amp circuit. I am not experienced enough in tube territory so I figured I would ask for info  ;)

I have the following:

6LE8
6GH8A
3HA5

Any ideas on these would be great  :icon_biggrin:

Thanks in advance!
A Veteran is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The United States of America
for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'

merlinb

6LE8 is a funny pentode with two anodes and screen grids. They could be hooked in parallel to make a single 4W pentode for a small SE power amp.

6GH8A is just a triode-pentode and could serve as the 1st and 2nd stages of a preamp, e.g., original Vox AC30 style. Alternatively, wire the pentode as a triode and make a Valvecaster? Or even leave it as a pentode and make a Valvecaster mutant...

3HA5 is a triode. Does what it says on the tin really!

tubelectron

Hi Govmnt_Lacky,

The 6GH8A is used as a gain stage (pentode) + phase splitter (triode) in the Scott 222C Hi-Fi amp from early 60's, like the one I own. These are the 2 tubes around the center filter cap :

the 6GH8A is similar to 6AN8, 7199 (as used by Dynaco for the same role, in the same era)

A+!
I apologize for my approximative english writing and understanding !
http://guilhemamplification.jimdofree.com/

Govmnt_Lacky

Thanks Bruno and Merlin  ;D

I am really noobish when it comes to tube design and building. I guess it will just take some breadboarding and time.

Now... I just need to know where to start!  :icon_redface:
A Veteran is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The United States of America

bluesman1218

Quote from: Govmnt_Lacky on April 05, 2011, 04:25:18 PM
I am really noobish when it comes to tube design and building. I guess it will just take some breadboarding and time.

Now... I just need to know where to start!  :icon_redface:

Just remember one word in the realm of tubes... VOLTAGE. Although I sometimes wonder why tubes are used in low voltage apps when, by their very nature, they offer the 'best' tone when pushed. Just thinking through the keyboard!
It's all about the tone!
Steve

POPA - Plain Old Power Attenuator AVAILABLE for PURCHASE soon!
Silvertone 1482 rebuilt - switchable Tweed, tube reverb, Baxandall + / Little Angel Chorus build, tons of Modded pedals

tubelectron

Yes, bluesman1218,

QuoteJust remember one word in the realm of tubes... VOLTAGE. Although I sometimes wonder why tubes are used in low voltage apps when, by their very nature, they offer the 'best' tone when pushed. Just thinking through the keyboard!

I agree completely - even if I never took the time to test anything seriously with tubes at low voltage ! All of the following stompboxes are high voltage, the Westbury W-20 being probably one the first commercial offer (1978-1982), the others being from me. The W-20 is not well renowned, but it is nonetheless a simple device and a very good sounding unit...

A+!

tubelectron

Govmnt_Lacky,

QuoteNow... I just need to know where to start!

Here is the schematic of the W-20, thanks to R.G. Keen :

It uses a 12AX7, but your 6GH8A would do, with some mods : 1st stage in pentode, 2nd in triode, for example... Place a 220 to 470K serial + 0,1 to 0,47µF to feed the screen from the +HV, as a start.

A+!

bluesman1218

Very nice pedals, Bruno. I have a 2 - 12AX7 preamp pedal I need to finish (Doug Hoffman's design).

I'll use it for the few times I play electric through my solo rig (Fishman SA-220) and just add a pedal or two.
It's all about the tone!
Steve

Silvertone 1482 rebuilt - switchable Tweed, tube reverb, Baxandall + / Little Angel Chorus build, tons of Modded pedals

amptramp

The 6LE8 was originally designed as a high-level synchronous demodulator for colour TV.  You could make a double-sideband modulator out of it that could give you sum and difference frequencies for two incoming signals.  You could make a ring modulator with isolation and gain.

The 6GH8A is probably the most common tube from a 1970's TV.  You can make a good pentode first audio / triode split-phase inverter to feed a push-pull audio output stage in an amp.  It is an improvement over the 6U8 and shares the same pinout.  In fact I might replace the 6U8's in my H.H.Scott 340B FM receiver with 6GH8A's - it is a good upgrade.

The 3HA5 is a small (the size of a 6AL5) RF amplifier triode that features low noise and low output impedance.  I just bought two of them because they offer low noise at moderate plate voltages - they are rated for 135 volts on the plate.  The high transconductance makes it a low-noise device and the Rp of 4965 ohms means it can tolerate low plate resistors for better bandwidth without reducing the stage gain too much.  Transconductance = Gm = 14500 micromhos and µ = 72.

bluesman1218

If you need Tube Data Sheets, this will help. http://tdsl.duncanamps.com/tubesearch.php

Click on <Tube Data) on the left and take it from there. It will give you basic data and links to PDF data sheets you can download.
It's all about the tone!
Steve

Govmnt_Lacky

Thanks for all of the replys  ;D

I have been thinking about it and I may just offer up these tubes for sale. Just don't have the amount of time to invest in a full blown tube project right now.

Hopefully someone will want them  ;)

Paul Marossy

The only thing I think with these "oddball" tubes is if I build something with them, how easy (and expensive) is it to get replacements?

PRR

> I am really noobish when it comes to tube design and building.

Then go with Known-Good Well-Documented plans using affordable tubes.

Using a tube just because you have it is The Hard Way. 12AX7, EL84 are NOT expensive to buy and are NOT the major cost of a tube project.

I built a super-Champ recently. The base set of tubes (one spare output) cost $65. The total build with chassis, knobs, transformers, tagboard was over $500 (it was a bit lavish).

Later, when you are "expert". you can "make something from anything". My contractor is making a window out of a 6x12" laminated wood beam... yowsa.

> 3HA5 ... low plate resistors for better bandwidth without reducing the stage gain too much.  Transconductance = Gm = 14500 micromhos and µ = 72.

Well, uh..... you MUST reduce plate resistors. it works great at 8mA or 16mA, less-well at lower currents like the 1mA typical of non-extreme audio stages. 6AH5 is designed to work less-well at low current to provide AGC in radio systems. 

A typical audio stage might run 1mA and 135V (100K load to 240V B+). At this point, Gm ~~ 1,000 micromhos (no better than 12AX7) and µ ~~ 35. Voltage gain will be near 25-30. Zout near 25K, lower than 12AX7, and Cgp aint bad.

As Ron says, 6LE8 is a very special-purpose bottle. As Merlin says, you could develop a power amp from it. The high heater demand, low plate rating, and soft knees make a EL84 look like a better engineering choice, and EL84 amp plans are everywhere.

6GH8 is a fine audio tube. 1/5th of a great hi-fi amp. Yeah, you could adapt some smaller plan to use it, but that could be daunting for a beginner.

> just offer up these tubes for sale.
> I think with these "oddball" tubes is if I build something with them, how easy (and expensive) is it to get replacements?

6LE8 is a buyer's market. They were plentiful and there's about zero demand. 6HA5 "could" become faddish if someone posts a puffy page about how wonderful it... even then, the odd-brothers like 3HA5 tend to be shunned (it took years after 6SN7 got faddish for 12SN7 prices to rise).

Socket the top of a pedal-box, put LEDs in the sockets, and CALL it "a tube pedal" even tho the tubes do nothing. (And if 3HA5 prices do ever rise, you'll have one.)
  • SUPPORTER