Oh god, how does this work?!

Started by vendettav, April 09, 2011, 02:14:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vendettav

Hey guys, so yeah been messing around with my fuzz facotry which i put on a vero and which didnt work (neither on the breadboard nor on the vero). i used BC558 as subs for AC128 and all i had was some clean sound... now i changed one with a 2n3906 I had laying around and no luck at all.. i tried it all.. then I was like what if i do it this way? so i put the 2n3906 into the 2n3904's place and put the latter into the former's place.. woah nice, I then swapped theo ther BC558 with another 2n3904 and dammit what i got was well not quite the warmest fuzz but damn that thing oscillates like shit! I could get some 8bit tone as well and whatnot and some fuzz... but oscilation.. oh god!!  :o

so anyways.. this shouldnt work this way, or what am i doing wrong lol??
check my music HERE

Shredtastic psycho metal!

darron

isn't that why people build the fuzz factory?

it's a motorboating effect.

did it sound like this?
http://www.dazatronyx.com/forums_etc/glitch-switch.mp3

that wasn't a fuzz factory, just a fuzz face i was building which sounded similar...
Blood, Sweat & Flux. Pedals made with lasers and real wires!

vendettav

oh well sorry I explained it badly i think. What i did was used the schematic and put a PNP instead of the NPN and NPN instead of the PNP. how can that work??? I'm doing some reading and can't find the answer

anyways it could do a huge variety of sounds actually
I even tuned in a radio at some point
check my music HERE

Venusblue

I've generally heard that the radio thing comes from bad grounding... I'm also sort of a noob, but I do know that a lot of people love the fuzz factory for the weird, splatty sounds.
I love the smell of baked tubes in the morning.

vendettav

Yeah I'm guessing I get it cause i got a NPN instead of PNP (and thus they aren't grounded)
like srsly I didn't really change anything on the schematic other than just messed with the trannies... anyways I guess I'm leaving it like this! XD

I migth try putting a 2n5088 instead of 2n3904 in PNP places.. might sound better :)
check my music HERE

deadastronaut

radio usually comes from not shielding the input cable....imo.. :icon_wink:
https://www.youtube.com/user/100roberthenry
https://deadastronaut.wixsite.com/effects

chasm reverb/tremshifter/faze filter/abductor II delay/timestream reverb/dreamtime delay/skinwalker hi gain dist/black triangle OD/ nano drums/space patrol fuzz//

vendettav

ah well i don't really mind the radio but the question of NPN and PNP transistors... :) I still don't get how that works  ???
check my music HERE

petemoore

Apparently PNP is easier to make on a kitchen table [not recommended] than NPN.
  As the Mfr. tools improved, NPN became as or more likeable in most senses to PNP.
   Which way the schematic transistor-B/E junction one>way diode points [arrow inside circle points 'up' toward base, or 'down' toward emitter], showing the NPN or PNP.
  P is for positive, N is for negative, so NPN has doping process like opposite order, negative/positive/negative compared to PNP.
   One seems to compare to the other as it's mirror image would. 
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

yeeshkul

Quote from: deadastronaut on April 10, 2011, 05:30:31 AM
radio usually comes from not shielding the input cable....imo.. :icon_wink:
... and output wire and any long wire inside the box that can catch the AM radio signal and lead it to a simple c/r demodulator that happens to exist in any pedal.

deadastronaut

https://www.youtube.com/user/100roberthenry
https://deadastronaut.wixsite.com/effects

chasm reverb/tremshifter/faze filter/abductor II delay/timestream reverb/dreamtime delay/skinwalker hi gain dist/black triangle OD/ nano drums/space patrol fuzz//

vendettav

Quote from: deadastronaut on April 11, 2011, 05:15:11 AM
what station do you get?... ;D

ahhaahaaa! cracked me up!!!  :icon_lol:

well it does make sense. i mean NPN-PNP.. I also read in the wiki i guess (i dont really know, i had the file stored on my hdd) that you can put a npn into a pnp circuit. you just need to reverse the polarity of the electrolytics, trannies, diods and everything... but i only put it in there. pnp instead of NPN and NPN instead of PNP.. and it works! Is it normal or am I discovering something new? Other than polarity, I guess it worked cause there're all those pots that bias and whatnot so the thingy works :)
check my music HERE

vendettav

OK here's another question!!!!

I have a 20k pot for the compress pot and a 20k resistor across the lugs, but unhooking one side of the resistor (taking the pot out of the circuit and leaving a 20k fixed resistor) seems to give me another type of sound, Im thinking to put a switch in there, shall I wire it so that when it's unhooked the pot is take out of the signal or the resistor? with the first way, I'll get the 20k pot to function again but it will eventually reach the 10k pot's frequency right? whereas with fixed 20k it'll be like that and i can toggle between leavingt the floor the same and the ceiling going up if you get what i mean, what shall i do?
check my music HERE

vendettav

check my music HERE