Son of Screamer questions ?

Started by HOTTUBES, April 10, 2011, 03:36:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HOTTUBES

1.  Location C6 , Can you sub in a non poloarized 1 uf metal film in that location ?
2. The polarized cap located at the bottom of the pic shows no value ,
    I see in other board builds , the popular value is 47 uf , will that work here as well ?
3. Can you use a 1N4007 as a protection diode in this build ?
4. I'm also looking for the " Circuit OUT " in this pic , and i'm not sure of its location  ....?   :icon_confused:

Sorry for all the Noob questions .....

Thanks for any help .

arma61

I'm quoting Renegadrian

... Also, I added the filter cap and a protection diode (you see them a the bottom). they aren't mandatory, but as the layout had some free holes I put them in. Black diode as I have a bunch of 1n4007 from ol' bulbs (as the BULBS topic, I collected and dismantled a lot of broken ones from then) so I just toss one in, filter cap is always useful, can be 47 or 100ยต.

Out is taken from VOL lug 2 (as stated at the bottom of the layout OUT IS VOL 2  ;) )

Ciao
"it's a matter of objectives. If you don't know where you want to go, any direction is about as good as any other." R.G. Keen

twabelljr

Quote1.  Location C6 , Can you sub in a non poloarized 1 uf metal film in that location ?
I would say yes only because the "real" Tube Screamer uses a N/P cap in the same location, but "Son of Screamer" does not have an output buffer. May make a difference, may not. Both schematics can be found here though:
http://www.geofex.com/Article_Folders/TStech/tsxtech.htm
"Son of" shows a 47uf in the filter location you ask about and another 47uf in the vbias which would be from the R1/R2 connection to ground, which is not in the layout but could easily be added.
Shine On !!!

HOTTUBES

How important is the job of C3 cap 47pf ? ( 0.000047 uf )
That looks to be a clipping cap to smooth things out correct ?

twabelljr

QuoteThat looks to be a clipping cap to smooth things out correct ?
Yes. Read the paragraph about the 51p in the link above. Softens distortion somewhat, most noticeable with drive maxxed out and some more technical info but you are correct.
Increasing value will cut out more highs. Have you stumbled across this in the Wiki yet? Good tips. http://www.diystompboxes.com/wiki/index.php?title=Simplemods#Simple.2C_Easy_Mods.2FTips_.26_Techniques
Shine On !!!

HOTTUBES

I never max out any TS i have ever owned , so could one omit this cap ?     :icon_question:

twabelljr

Sure you could. I have never tried leaving it out. Most feedback clipping circits do have one though, even hard clipping circuits to ground have a small value cap in the feedback loop. (check out the AMZ Overdrive Pro. http://www.muzique.com/schem/projects.htm Jack says to increase that cap if it is too fizzy sounding.) I did up the one in my TS to 100p but I think I am going to put the 51p back. I might try it without now that you got me thinking! In your case the spot on the vero will be there so you can always add one later or experiment. Put a socket there and you will be able to try a bunch of values and leave it empty if you want.
Shine On !!!

HOTTUBES

i have socketed a few spots so far .......good call !