WANTED: MXR M-117 Flanger gut shots!!

Started by Govmnt_Lacky, April 13, 2011, 10:16:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Govmnt_Lacky

I know this is a long shot but I figured SOMEONE out there could help  :icon_biggrin:

I need a gut shot of the original MXR M-117 Flanger. The Black unit with hard-wired power cord. (NOT the EVH model)

In particular, a good shot of the wired connection between the pots and the circuit board  ;D

I would like to verify some suspected errors in a layout that I am working from and I cannot find ANY pictures of the pot wiring.

I appreciate the help!
A Veteran is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The United States of America
for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'

Mark Hammer

I generally find gut shots of most things I go looking for if I enter the name of the pedal into Google and do an image search.

beavis audio, in fact, has a very nice assortment of gut shots: http://www.beavisaudio.com/gg/mn.htm

Govmnt_Lacky

Quote from: Mark Hammer on April 13, 2011, 12:05:03 PM
I generally find gut shots of most things I go looking for if I enter the name of the pedal into Google and do an image search.

beavis audio, in fact, has a very nice assortment of gut shots: http://www.beavisaudio.com/gg/mn.htm

I spent a while on Google today Mark. Unfortunately, I did not find any gut shots showing what I asked for  ;D

Quote from: Govmnt_Lacky on April 13, 2011, 10:16:25 AM
In particular, a good shot of the wired connection between the pots and the circuit board  ;D
A Veteran is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The United States of America

Govmnt_Lacky

Still trying to get some good pictures of the wiring between the pots and the circuit board. Someone HAS to have one of these  :icon_confused:

Govmnt_Lacky

Thomeeque

Quote from: Govmnt_Lacky on April 13, 2011, 10:16:25 AM
I would like to verify some suspected errors in a layout that I am working from and I cannot find ANY pictures of the pot wiring.

Maybe I am missing something, but why you cannot do that using schematic? T.
Do you have a technical question? Please don't send private messages, use the FORUM!

Govmnt_Lacky

Quote from: Thomeeque on April 14, 2011, 07:15:54 PM
Maybe I am missing something, but why you cannot do that using schematic? T.

It is not a matter of how the wiring CAN be. I can just switch them around if I want to.

It is a matter of how the wiring is SUPPOSED TO BE.

I suppose that after analyzing the circuit, doing the math, and studying the flow... someone could tell which way it should be wired but, I am not proficient at that and was merely seeking some answers with pictures.

In a picture of an original unit, I can match the wire color in the picture with the wire colors on the schematic and BOOM.... I know exactly how it should be wired.  ;)

I am quite surprised that NO ONE seems to have this information or even a pic of the wiring  ???   ???   ???

Seven64

i think it was in the link posted above

Thomeeque

Do you have a technical question? Please don't send private messages, use the FORUM!

Ice-9

I was thinking of that very same schematic Tomas but i couldn't find it, I know i had it somewhere.
@ Govmnt Lacky, this schematic has the wire colours included so wiring should be easy for you.
www.stanleyfx.co.uk

Sanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting the same result. Mick Taylor

Please at least have 1 forum post before sending me a PM demanding something.

Govmnt_Lacky

Quote from: Thomeeque on April 15, 2011, 04:15:59 AM
Quote from: Govmnt_Lacky on April 14, 2011, 09:51:56 PM
It is a matter of how the wiring is SUPPOSED TO BE.

Have you seen this schematic?

Quote from: Ice-9 on April 15, 2011, 04:52:22 AM
I was thinking of that very same schematic Tomas but i couldn't find it, I know i had it somewhere.
@ Govmnt Lacky, this schematic has the wire colours included so wiring should be easy for you.

Gentlemen,

I have that schematic already. I have seen it many times. I am not repairing an old unit. I am building from a layout that has possible errors on it (Shredaholic) and need to be able to translate the proper wiring by comparing the wire colors in a picture of a legacy unit to its schematic.

Here are my questions:

On the MANUAL pot in the schematic. What lug should the +15V input go to? What lug should GND go to? How can you tell just by looking at THIS particular schematic? Is there a "standard" way to wire pots/trimmers in a schematic?

Thomeeque

Quote from: Govmnt_Lacky on April 15, 2011, 08:08:42 AM
On the MANUAL pot in the schematic. What lug should the +15V input go to? What lug should GND go to? How can you tell just by looking at THIS particular schematic? Is there a "standard" way to wire pots/trimmers in a schematic?

IMO you cannot, you are right - you need to know something more about the circuit what is not on the schematic, they did forgot to mark CW sides.

EDIT: Maaaybe if you have middle lug leading down, CW side is on the right.

EDIT2: Nope, SPEED pot seems to break this "rule" :icon_frown:

Govmnt_Lacky

Quote from: Thomeeque on April 15, 2011, 08:20:15 AM
Quote from: Govmnt_Lacky on April 15, 2011, 08:08:42 AM

IMO you cannot, you are right - you need to know something more about the circuit what is not on the schematic, they did forgot to mark CW sides.

This is why I wanted the picture of the wiring from pots to circuit board. It is the easiest way to remedy the issue.  ;)

I already know that the SPEED pot is wired to have the wiper lug (Lug 2) wired to Lug 1. However, I do not know if that thinking or orientation would translate to ALL of the pots.

Thomeeque

Quote from: Govmnt_Lacky on April 15, 2011, 08:22:39 AM
I already know that the SPEED pot is wired to have the wiper lug (Lug 2) wired to Lug 1. However, I do not know if that thinking or orientation would translate to ALL of the pots.

WIDTH - brown is CW
REGEN - purple is CW
SPEED - R19 side is CW
MANUAL - ?

Do you need info about trimmers as well?

T.

Govmnt_Lacky

Quote from: Thomeeque on April 15, 2011, 08:33:17 AM
Quote from: Govmnt_Lacky on April 15, 2011, 08:22:39 AM

WIDTH - brown is CW
REGEN - purple is CW
SPEED - R19 side is CW
MANUAL - ?

Do you need info about trimmers as well?

T.

No... don't need the trimmers.

Unfortunately Tomas... The ONLY pot that I really need answers for is the one you have no answer for  :icon_cry:

The MANUAL pot.

PICTURES ARE WORTH A THOUSAND WORDS! In this case, many words from quite a few forum posts!  :icon_cool:

Thomeeque

Quote from: Govmnt_Lacky on April 15, 2011, 08:37:21 AM
PICTURES ARE WORTH A THOUSAND WORDS! In this case, many words from quite a few forum posts!  :icon_cool:

Of course, if there was a nice clear picture in the first reply, I would not say a word ;) but after almost two days of no success I thought it's maybe good idea to try another approach :)

I bet there is somebody, who could and will tell you soon or later, how should be MANUAL pot wired..

Good luck, T.

Fender3D

According to Dave:

Quote from: oldschoolanalog on September 22, 2010, 10:13:43 AM
I finally got a chance to take out some of my vintage 117's and really have a good listen. At extreme settings eg: man. control full CCW [slow clock/long delay], range full CW [max LFO] & high regen, things do get a bit noisy & "messy" [for lack of a better term] at the bottom of the sweep....

Then it should be as suggested on the other M117 thread here around:

lug 1 (full CCW) = GND
lug 2 (wiper) = to 100k resistor
lug 3 (full CW) = +Vcc

This will make you feel the control more intuitive, since it will set the lower point where the WIDTH control will start its coarse...

"NOT FLAMMABLE" is not a challenge