Talkbox help/info

Started by CaptainK1rk, April 14, 2011, 04:36:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CaptainK1rk

Hi!
I was wondering if Roland Cube-15x is sufficient enough to drive a compression driver.
I have an old RCF N 580
and i want to use a small practice amp for it.
Thanks.

petemoore

''Looks'' can be decieving, ''supposed to'' is usually based on assumption.
  That said:
   It Looks [at a glance] like the driver has morgan sufficient overkill for the application to make driver damage easy to avoid [hardly possible is always a good starting point].
  And the Mcube is ''supposed to be loud, so SS output clipping [to be avoided at all times when driving a delicate diaphram, HF drivers tend to have these] wouldn't be an issue. This is the point I'm almost sure about...how much power the amp has. IMO it'll have power to make voicebox work N/P, with similar driver and 5w tube amp, very strong voicebox I made.
  Especially true if the amp isn't even asked to produce the larger currents associated with LF amplification, something you don't want in the HF driver, and can cut before the amp so those low frequencies never even enter the amp, so it isn't producing the associated large currents that would also over-excursion the driver. Getting rid of some or most of the low frequency signal before the amp...reduces the amount of wasted power produced/requires less powerful amp.
   It looks at a glance like everything except the tube, and the PA [requires mic/pa which does 'the real work' of amplifying the effect] is beefy enough and is the strong-voice-box from here.

Convention creates following, following creates convention.

CaptainK1rk

Hey petemoore, thanks for the quick reply.
So this combination is OK for a talkbox?
I forgot to mention that I already tried this driver with a different (and louder) amp with a tube and a mic/PA, so no problem there. I just want something smaller and convenient with a decent tone.

pinkjimiphoton

yah, if you've used it already with a bigger amp, you should be good to go. because the driver doesn't reproduce the full range of the guitar, they can take a little more abuse than normal. try not to clip the power amp, like pete said, that's most likely to damage it.
  • SUPPORTER
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace."
Slava Ukraini!
"try whacking the bejesus outta it and see if it works again"....
~Jack Darr

CaptainK1rk