the "one of these days im gonna fix up that ol'..." thread

Started by digthisbigcrux, April 14, 2011, 10:43:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wavley

Quote from: Mark Hammer on April 26, 2011, 07:27:50 PM
It was partly a previous post of yours regarding how to effectively de-goop the modules that got me thinking about using it for parts.  It powered on when I bought it, but never really fully booted up or responded to all button presses.  And to tell you the truth, it has been socked away in a corner for several years now, and I've plum forgot what it would and wouldn't do.  I do know that I never got a sound out of it, but never really put it through any sort of rigorous testing, or preliminary troubleshooting.

That being said, the Hyperflange is standing at the front of the line right now, and has been waiting longer for my attention.

Thanks for the offer, though.

I've got the service manual in PDF if you ever get around to fixing it, let me know and I'll be happy to email it to you and share whatever experience I have with keeping that thing running.  Since I scavenged a couple of keys off my parts one to repair the one I got for free that was working I was thinking about doing what this guy did and cutting it down.   http://nydell.se/projects/j106/index.html
New and exciting innovations in current technology!

Bone is in the fingers.

EccoHollow Art & Sound

eccohollow.bandcamp.com

BDuguay

Quote from: Mark Hammer on April 26, 2011, 03:49:18 PM
So the companion question to this is: "What stops you from getting around to fixing up that old...?"  Is it:

• something new and shiny, and seemingly far more assured of success, comes along and distracts you
  • waiting for those last few needed components to come along inexpensively
  • a trouble-shooting challenge that has eluded you or that you shy away from
  • stupid family/work/health/life/money
  • I would need to figure out the wiring of the damn perf/vero board all over again so that I can pick up where I left off
  • just lost interest
  • the failure of government to pass legislation on the 8-day week and 28hr-day
  • need to learn some more first
  • lack of tools or other equipment to do the job (e.g., scope, rectangular hole punch)
  • waiting for the right chassis to come along and say "You want me!"
  • ran out of parts
Once again, Sir Hammer works his succinctly summing magic and puts it in tidy point form.
From the list above, I'm most guilty of points 1,3,7, and 8
However, as time passes I learn more. Specifically in the area of troubleshooting skills and techniques. Perhaps there's no time better than the present to tackle my back log head on. Especially since BYOC orders are currently slow allowing me the time to do so. I guesss in my case that could be included as number 12 on the list.
B.

DougH

So the companion question to this is: "What stops you from getting around to fixing up that old...?"  Is it:

• something new and shiny, and seemingly far more assured of success, comes along and distracts you
  • waiting for those last few needed components to come along inexpensively
  • a trouble-shooting challenge that has eluded you or that you shy away from
  • stupid family/work/health/life/money
  • I would need to figure out the wiring of the damn perf/vero board all over again so that I can pick up where I left off
  • just lost interest
  • the failure of government to pass legislation on the 8-day week and 28hr-day
  • need to learn some more first
  • lack of tools or other equipment to do the job (e.g., scope, rectangular hole punch)
  • waiting for the right chassis to come along and say "You want me!"
  • ran out of parts

In the case of my CX3:

1) Not easy to find parts (have just located them).
2) It's a lot of work, and I have other projects I still haven't finished.

But passion trumps other considerations so this one has moved to the top of the list when the leslie is completed (hopefully this weekend).

Edit: My project list is kind of like my Netflix queue- stuff sits there for a while and I have every intention of working off the top of the list. Then something comes along that gets me really excited and it moves to the top of the queue.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you."

Mark Hammer

So the companion question to this is: "What stops you from getting around to fixing up that old...?"  Is it:

• 1) something new and shiny, and seemingly far more assured of success, comes along and distracts you
  • 2) waiting for those last few needed components to come along inexpensively
  • 3) a trouble-shooting challenge that has eluded you or that you shy away from
  • 4) stupid family/work/health/life/money
  • 5) I would need to figure out the wiring of the damn perf/vero board all over again so that I can pick up where I left off
  • 6) just lost interest
  • 7) the failure of government to pass legislation on the 8-day week and 28hr-day
  • 8 ) need to learn some more first
  • 9) lack of tools or other equipment to do the job (e.g., scope, rectangular hole punch)
  • 10) waiting for the right chassis to come along and say "You want me!"
  • 11) ran out of parts
new improved list! now with the magic ingredient: numbers!!
QuoteIn the case of my CX3:

1) Not easy to find parts (have just located them).
2) It's a lot of work, and I have other projects I still haven't finished.

But passion trumps other considerations so this one has moved to the top of the list when the leslie is completed (hopefully this weekend).

Edit: My project list is kind of like my Netflix queue- stuff sits there for a while and I have every intention of working off the top of the list. Then something comes along that gets me really excited and it moves to the top of the queue.
yeah, I didn't think I owned the exclusive rights to that one.

wavley

Quote from: GuitarlCarl on April 27, 2011, 01:01:00 AM
Morley EVO-1 oilcan echo... Bought it new in 77' or 78' it had the BEST spacey stereo echo... Its been dry for years, I'm hoping some oil from that cat on ebay will do it...

http://telrayoilcanaddicts.yuku.com/

Coupled with the Geofex article should help out quite nice.  I'm a BIG fan of that old Tel-Ray stuff, I truly believe that my Morley Pro-Flange is the greatest flanger I've ever played, I even like it better than the A/DA (the circuit is almost identical, I used the A/DA manual to tune mine up) but it has that awesome foot pedal.
New and exciting innovations in current technology!

Bone is in the fingers.

EccoHollow Art & Sound

eccohollow.bandcamp.com