Spaghetti inside

Started by rockhorst, April 15, 2011, 03:38:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rockhorst

As much as I like populating a circuit board and designing layouts, I hate finishing up the box. I always screw up at least one waterslide decal and most of all, I hate wiring it all up (pots, jacks, switch). The insides of a pedal always look very messy, wires crossing over, twisting and turning...Now I've seen people here using solid core, creating a very neat look, though I'm not after that per se. I would however appreciate some pointers in creating tidier guts with normal wire. How do you keep things organised?

Much appreciated.
Nucleon FX - PCBs at the core of tone

ayayay!

There's literally volumes of books on this subject.  BUT, don't stress too much about it.  A lot of your skill comes with time, and you'll get better quickly.  

First I'd suggest you do stay w/ stranded wire.  Second, it's like homeownership and a lawn:  Some guys like cutting it, some guys hate it, but either way, it's gotta get done, so you may as well learn to like it.  Third, I suggest wiring up everything to the board first, and leave enough excess to reach each component in the way you like it.  
The people who work for a living are now outnumbered by those who vote for a living.

bluesman1218

Good question. I don't have much problem in nice, roomy amp chassis, but I haven't got the 'small enclosure neat and tidy wiring' down yet. One reason, I don't have the patience to use my breadboard, so I end up removing the circuit board for troubleshooting. I suppose I should at least start using the breadboard for the  jacks, pots and power to test it before "final" assembly. Gotta work on my patience for detail work, but there are so many other things I really enjoy doing!
It's all about the tone!
Steve

POPA - Plain Old Power Attenuator AVAILABLE for PURCHASE soon!
Silvertone 1482 rebuilt - switchable Tweed, tube reverb, Baxandall + / Little Angel Chorus build, tons of Modded pedals

spargo

Board mounted pots and toggle switches can cut down on a lot of the wiring and build time.

davent

Make an assmebly jig to hold your pots and switches while you wire them to the pcb. The holes in the jig match the layout of your enclosure but because there's no sides to your jig you have easy access to everything and can keep wires no longer then needed and tidy. Can be nothing more then a piece of cereal box or the like.

dave
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/photobucket-hotlink-fix/kegnjbncdcliihbemealioapbifiaedg

Earthscum

Quote from: davent on April 15, 2011, 08:04:32 PM
Make an assmebly jig to hold your pots and switches while you wire them to the pcb. The holes in the jig match the layout of your enclosure but because there's no sides to your jig you have easy access to everything and can keep wires no longer then needed and tidy. Can be nothing more then a piece of cereal box or the like.
(image removed - Dave)
dave

+10 to that! I use corrugated cardboard pieces for one-offs. If ya want to get really fancy about it, your local hobby shop will have some kind of easy-to-cut stiff material you can use... but I'd just stick with the cardboard (corrugated sucks, btw... I just use it because I have lots of it at my disposal. It likes to squish and distort). Cereal box or beer box would work great, and if it's a bit flimsy, just make 2 pieces and tape them around the edges to make a nice double-thick piece.
Give a man Fuzz, and he'll jam for a day... teach a man how to make a Fuzz and he'll never jam again!

http://www.facebook.com/Earthscum

bluesman1218

I have set up templates to make some out of plexi for repeat builds, but I have plenty of cardboard and will probably use that for one-offs. The only "problem" with super tight wiring is that everything has to be removed if service/mods is needed. I'm kinda used to the old 60's - 70's electronics wiring where there's plenty of slack to lift some stuff out.

Yeah, I know, wah-wah-wah.  :icon_cry: I have been using cardboard templates to test fit my enclosure hardware. I'm too creative to use the same layout for every pedal!  8)
It's all about the tone!
Steve

Silvertone 1482 rebuilt - switchable Tweed, tube reverb, Baxandall + / Little Angel Chorus build, tons of Modded pedals

digi2t

Quote from: bluesman1218 on April 15, 2011, 08:25:31 PM
I have set up templates to make some out of plexi for repeat builds, but I have plenty of cardboard and will probably use that for one-offs. The only "problem" with super tight wiring is that everything has to be removed if service/mods is needed. I'm kinda used to the old 60's - 70's electronics wiring where there's plenty of slack to lift some stuff out.

Yeah, I know, wah-wah-wah.  :icon_cry: I have been using cardboard templates to test fit my enclosure hardware. I'm too creative to use the same layout for every pedal!  8)

I hear you brother!! I used to have a '64 Chevy Belair, I LOVED that car. You could fix anything with a screwdriver and a pair of pliers. Had enough room under the hood, you could sit on one inside fender, have the toolbox on the air cleaner, and lunchbox on the rad. Now I've got a Mazda, and you rip your arm to shreds just to get to the oil filter.

I build my pedals like my Belair. Roomy. Yeah, they take up a bit more real estate on the board, well, boo hoo. At least if I have to open one up, I'm not doing micro-surgery. I even went to great lengths to paint and decorate my first pedals. Now, they're lucky if they get a shot coat of black. Generally, I leave them just plain aluminium. That way, when people say,"Whoa! What's THAT pedal?", I just reply, "I could tell you... but then I'd have to kill you". That just drives my nephew nuts :icon_mrgreen:. To me, it's the sound that counts. It doesn't need to be pretty.

Cheers,
Dino
  • SUPPORTER
Dead End FX
http://www.deadendfx.com/

Asian Icemen rise again...
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=903467

"My ears don't distinguish good from great.  It's a blessing, really." EBK

bluesman1218

I'm with you, Dino! '62 Plymouth Belvedere, '69 Chevy Nova, '72 Dodge Dart - heck, even set the RPM by watching the antenna vibrating! '70 GTO with 400 cubes was kinda tight, though.... 8)
It's all about the tone!
Steve

rockhorst

@Bluesman: LOL

@Davent: just what I was lookingg for, an idea so simple yet effective...in fact, one of those 'too simple to come up with yourself' kinda things  :icon_rolleyes:
Nucleon FX - PCBs at the core of tone

deadastronaut

one thing, why does my wire shielding shrink back when soldering...the plastic shield always looks really butted up to the joint, on most pedals i see...

am i using too hot an iron (40watt..?...)...

i'm pretty quickly in n out with the solder iron, but it still pulls back...hmmm...cheers!.
https://www.youtube.com/user/100roberthenry
https://deadastronaut.wixsite.com/effects

chasm reverb/tremshifter/faze filter/abductor II delay/timestream reverb/dreamtime delay/skinwalker hi gain dist/black triangle OD/ nano drums/space patrol fuzz//

MrTonesNZ

dave

^ Thats some beautiful wiring mate

davent

Quote from: rockhorst on April 16, 2011, 07:28:23 AM
@Bluesman: LOL

@Davent: just what I was lookingg for, an idea so simple yet effective...in fact, one of those 'too simple to come up with yourself' kinda things  :icon_rolleyes:

Well you can be certain it didn't originate with me. I think i first saw it at Geofex and then John Lyons brought it to my attention again after i'd forgotten about it. 

As far as shrink back, i use Teflon insulated wire, no melting even in direct contact with the iron. Different brands of PVC wire have varying melting points. The old Radio Shack i have on hand, very very low. Small Bear's that i have,  much much better but Teflon's the first choice. You can always slip some heatshrink over the joint to cover up the shrink back.
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/photobucket-hotlink-fix/kegnjbncdcliihbemealioapbifiaedg

Processaurus

A little too long is much much better than a little too short.  Electrons don't care if it's a little messy.  Plus it isn't always easy to anticipate every need for slack, so it is good to leave an extra inch when in doubt.

Board mounted pots make things go together quick, but that time you saved was paid for by 3 times as much design time, not worth it for one-off's, unless there is another incentive for pc mounting stuff, like it being handy for servicing to have just one removable piece, or aggressively minimizing wire length and crosstalk in high gain, high impedance designs.

Quote from: ayayay! on April 15, 2011, 03:56:39 PM
Second, it's like homeownership and a lawn:  Some guys like cutting it, some guys hate it, but either way, it's gotta get done, so you may as well learn to like it.

Yes, yes, yes.  Most involved projects, even for fun, have parts that will be charmless, repetitive, demeaning, and dull.  I'm starting to realize dealing with those windless days is key to getting across the ocean.

Barcode80

Quote from: deadastronaut on April 16, 2011, 07:55:23 AM
one thing, why does my wire shielding shrink back when soldering...the plastic shield always looks really butted up to the joint, on most pedals i see...

am i using too hot an iron (40watt..?...)...

i'm pretty quickly in n out with the solder iron, but it still pulls back...hmmm...cheers!.

2 things I do:

1) I always cut an extra mm or so on my wire, and I account for the insulation shrinking back, Once I have the wire soldered, I remelt the joint, push the wire the rest of the way until the insulation buts against the board (or jack), then snip off the excess.

2) You may not be "in and out" as quick as you think. As soon as the solder flash melts, I instantly pull the iron off. Even if this only results in a light solder tack instead of a full joint, I can let it cool for a second and then finish the joint.

Govmnt_Lacky

I have probably built several dozen pedals and they all have two things in comon:

1) They ALL have horrible spaghetti wiring - BUT -

2) They can ALL be easily pulled apart and worked on if need be.

I always leave room to pull up the circuit board so I can get to all of the components for debug or repairs.

When someone asks me about the wiring, I ask them... "Do you want pretty wiring or do you want it to work and be fixed if need be?"

I have ALWAYS gotten the latter answer  ;)
A Veteran is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The United States of America
for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'

mattthegamer463

dave

Davent, you are an incredible genius!

Paul Marossy

I've found that neat wiring and good layout comes with experience. I've built too many different pedals to keep track of, built I learned the most from the time when I was building pedals for two boutique pedal companies. I think last year I built about 500 units between the two places.

My first pedals had wires going all over the place and wires that were much longer than needed, I was never very concerned with making it pretty. And surprisingly, I've never had any problems because of that. But these days I try to not waste wire and make things reasonably neat to avoid potential problems (that "lead dress" thing). The goal is still not about pretty, it's about efficient and reliable.

I admire the work of some of these boutique pedals guys with the extremely pretty wiring with everything at right angles and bundled together, but that actually causes problems sometimes. You could say the same thing for PTP amps, too.

If you build a lot of the same thing, then various jigs really become necessary. http://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?topic=72460.0

davepedals

i feel like a complete dumb arse for not thinking of using a 'jig!'  at least now i'm a happy dumb arse! such a great idea!
:icon_cool:
dave