What happened to the Mammoth thread???

Started by Govmnt_Lacky, April 16, 2011, 06:51:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

J0K3RX

Quote from: smallbearelec on May 05, 2012, 06:57:55 AM

Please realize that implementing this would be a fairly major investment of time and money. Right now, a fair chunk of my capital is going into another project, the result of which you'll see later this year. The labelling issue does remain on my long-term "to-do" list, and it will eventually happen.

Black Sharpie? :icon_lol:
Doesn't matter what you did to get it... If it sounds good, then it is good!

Strange

I agree - having those little stickers Tayda places on their packaging is awesome. They peel right off and transfer to my storage containers too.

Even having someone write the value on the plastic would is a huge help. I frequently measure resistor values before soldering as I really dislike stupid mistakes on my part. That said, when sorting an order it is awesome just to file the parts away quickly.

Colonel Angus

Tayda just showed up... 2 weeks after I placed my order :icon_evil:. Needless to say I won't be using them again.
Quote from: frequencycentral on June 16, 2012, 12:59:15 PM
Why should you not have 90o angles? Do the electrons bunch up in the corners?

electrosonic

QuoteTayda just showed up... 2 weeks after I placed my order . Needless to say I won't be using them again.

Seriously? They ship by regular post so their shipping costs as really low. I order from them for some things if I am not in a hurry. I don't think two weeks is that long for a package sent by regular post from halfway around the world.

Andrew.
  • SUPPORTER

Jdansti

Quote from: Colonel Angus on May 24, 2012, 11:47:11 AM
Tayda just showed up... 2 weeks after I placed my order :icon_evil:. Needless to say I won't be using them again.

Wow. I ordered from Tayda, Mouser, and Aron on the same day. Mouser took 4 days to arrive, Aron was 5 days, and Tayda was 6.  I was pleased with the shipping times of all three.
  • SUPPORTER
R.G. Keene: EXPECT there to be errors, and defeat them...

Colonel Angus

Quote from: electrosonic on May 24, 2012, 02:45:07 PM
QuoteTayda just showed up... 2 weeks after I placed my order . Needless to say I won't be using them again.

Seriously? They ship by regular post so their shipping costs as really low. I order from them for some things if I am not in a hurry. I don't think two weeks is that long for a package sent by regular post from halfway around the world.

Andrew.

Yes seriously. Two weeks is a long time considering that the LM308 from Beijing arrived in 4 days with free shipping.

Furthermore, it was in response to those that got their Tadya orders in 4 or 5 days. That was my expectation after hearing such positive reviews.

I agree that you order from the slow suppliers with cheap shipping when you are not in a hurry, but again, that was not how this supplier was touted. NBD, I'll just order from someone else.

The context of recommending Tadya was "way better than Futurlec" and its simply not the case AFAIK.

I was pretty excited to try a new supplier that came with bona fides, but now I am a little bummed that I didn't order from Steve, digikey or futurlec.

Live and Learn I suppose...

electrosonic

Fair enough, sometimes I find myself slipping into my cranky old man persona  - "when I was a kid we didn't have no overnight shippin' and no internet either...."

Andrew.

• SUPPORTER

Colonel Angus

It's true, we take it for granted how quick even a couple of weeks is in terms of global shipping. I can't imagine trying to DIY in the 70's; even looking at the median build quality from when the Pictures thread started, I'm sure some of that can be attributed to cheaper and more widely available parts.c

cheers,

Brian

chromesphere

Quote from: Colonel Angus on May 24, 2012, 04:50:55 PM
The context of recommending Tadya was "way better than Futurlec" and its simply not the case AFAIK.

I was pretty excited to try a new supplier that came with bona fides, but now I am a little bummed that I didn't order from Steve, digikey or futurlec.

As you would know futurelec keep your order on hold if they dont have one component in stock and dont give you any updates.  I think thats terrible customer service.  I cant imagine why people would be saying that tayda are faster then futurlec considering they are both shipping international.   I recently ordered from tayda and it took 2 days for my package to arrive.  This was an express shipment however.  Unfortunately i'm finding a number of holes in the tayda supply list so i end up stuck with ordering from futurlec.
Paul

EDIT: Also, the turn around of the express tayda order was incredibly fast (within 24 hours).
Pedal Parts Shop                Youtube

davent

For Tayda i've never been less then a couple weeks so that's included in my time line,  for Digikey usually less then 24 hrs and order enough, you get free shipping.

dave
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/photobucket-hotlink-fix/kegnjbncdcliihbemealioapbifiaedg

Colonel Angus

Hmm maybe I should have paid for express shipping... No matter, it was just a tester order; some 3pdts, knobs, refill on pots. Digikey is certainly the quickest, but if you want any NOS you are SOL. Steve D turned my order pretty quick, ordered weds nite, just got tracking this morn. Obviously not all the prices are as sharp as can be, but for a one stop shop, he's my fave.

joegagan

digikey. i use their least expensive shipping option ( use scroll down menu), my order arrives two to 3 business days later. hard to beat.

my life is a tribute to the the great men and women who held this country together when the world was in trouble. my debt cannot be repaid, but i will do my best.

cthulhudarren

My go-to places so far in my DIY life are smallbear and Mouser. I just placed my first order for vero-board from this site. We'll see when it arrives.

Beo

Mammoth has free shipping Memorial Day Weekend.

kodiakklub

yeah if you buy at least $100! that damn fine print.

heads up, i dont know the reason or how long its going to last, but my last 3 mouser orders this past week i chose USPS priority mail for shipping and they sent all of them UPS 2nd day air, no up charge. i wonder if they got a sweet new contract with UPS like Zappos does. $4.95 for 2nd day air cant really be beat

Beo

Quote from: kodiakklub on May 25, 2012, 05:02:08 PM

Damn, I just went off of the title of their email. Sorry for misleading...

Jdansti

Quote from: Beo on May 26, 2012, 12:20:50 AM
Quote from: kodiakklub on May 25, 2012, 05:02:08 PM

Damn, I just went off of the title of their email. Sorry for misleading...

They mislead you!
  • SUPPORTER
R.G. Keene: EXPECT there to be errors, and defeat them...