"BAKERY" GUITAR PRE-AMP

Started by Thomeeque, April 17, 2011, 06:13:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thomeeque

Hi,

I was kindly wangled by sugonidamasoa to prepare layouts and stuff for build of my BAKERY preamp. It took a lot of time and energy so why not to go "public", maybe somebody else will find it useful as well. I strongly doubt that many people will build it, and even more that they will build it exactly as it is, as I did design it exactly for my needs (this box makes foundation-stone of my pedalboard) and others probably have different needs, but since it is modular even bits (like verified layouts for some popular effects) may be interesting for some of you.

Bakery consists of:

• RossComp with ATTACK control and "More Treble Response" Mod (Thanks, Mark! :)) for clean channel
  • MXR MicroAmp with unity gain as an buffer for clean channel and for two "monitor" outputs (e.g. for tuner), more here
  • MXR MicroAmp + (frequency) MODE switch as an pre-boost for overdriven channel
  • Barber LTD Silver (as OVERDRIVE 1)
  • EHX Big Muff Pi "Ram's Head" (as OVERDRIVE 2)
  • separate FX-loops for each channel

and simplified topology looks like this:

In real-life it looks like this:

( full gallery )

Here is the first public draft (at this moment) of build instructions:

Bakery_Build_Instructions.pdf

There's not many instructions inside at this moment - I may add them in the future, for this moment I will write notes here:

• SilverLTD distortion was too light for me, I did turn distortion stage to Tube Screamer later by changing few components (pdf shows original values)

• I have problems to use original Big Muff's tone control (it's either too dark or there's not enough body), I may turn it to simple tone cut one day (it's a common Ram's Head "issue")

• I did not use filtering capacitor for LED voltage (C4 on wiring diagram), but it may avoid some pops caused by LED switching in some cases (I don't have this problem)

• Values of LED current limiting resistors (R3, R4 and R5 on the wiring diagram) should be adjusted to given LEDs and desired brightness

• It may be problematic to get exponential (reverse-audio) pots (SENSITIVITY of compressor and GAIN of booster), I usually use logarithmic (audio) pots with reversed function instead. PCBs therefor leave middle lug of these pots unconnected to be ready for both scenarios and jumper (indicated on layouts) must be soldered to connect pot's middle lug with one of outer lugs, depending on pot's type (but in case of compressor's SENSITIVITY I have probably used linear type and it feels alright - EXP jumper used).

• for booster (MAIN BOARD) I have added RF filter at the input - if you don't want to use it, just leave C8 out

• BOOST MODE selection is very simple - it only switches value of capacitor which is in series with gain pot (4u7 in original MicroAmp) - so frequency range moves with dialed gain, but it is very useful anyway (I use it to get nice light treble boost mostly).

• It may be problem to get exact MS-034 DP3T slide switch (MODE switches) but there are possible workarounds - just ask

• For BOOST MODE on-off-on SPDT switch can be used

• All layouts are 99% verified, i have done just very small changes to the originals from my build

I may add few notes later, Tomas
Do you have a technical question? Please don't send private messages, use the FORUM!

petemoore

I like what you're doing and what you've done.
   Thanks for sharing !
  BMP tone control, if you haven't visited Jack Ormans Labs Notbook at AMZ..certainly worth the trip.
   I haven't seen knobs like those before.

Convention creates following, following creates convention.

Taylor

Quote from: petemoore on April 17, 2011, 06:35:52 PM

As I recall, it's heat-shrink tubing, which I think is a clever idea for tight spaces.
I probably commented when you posted this originally, but I think this is a wonderful, well-though-out device, Tomas. The guts are nice, too!

Thomeeque

I like what you're doing and what you've done.
  Thanks for sharing !

I'm glad you like it, my pleasure! :)

BMP tone control, if you haven't visited Jack Ormans Labs Notbook at AMZ..certainly worth the trip.

I'll do that trip, thanks! :)

Quote from: Taylor on April 17, 2011, 06:44:26 PM

As I recall, it's heat-shrink tubing, which I think is a clever idea for tight spaces.

Yep, and it has got name (and story): knob socks !! :icon_mrgreen:

Quote from: Taylor on April 17, 2011, 06:44:26 PM
I probably commented when you posted this originally, but I think this is a wonderful, well-though-out device, Tomas. The guts are nice, too!

Thank you, I really appreciate that!! :)

T.
Do you have a technical question? Please don't send private messages, use the FORUM!

Ice-9

Thats a really nice build and well laid out controls. Love it.
www.stanleyfx.co.uk

Sanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting the same result. Mick Taylor

Please at least have 1 forum post before sending me a PM demanding something.

therecordingart

Really cool. I'm probably way under thinking this, but your post gave me the idea of building something similar, but more modular in the sense of building effects in one form factor so they can me swapped in/out of the chassis "plug n play". Think API 500 series, but for stompboxes:

http://www.apiaudio.com/5006b.html

That should be a group project.

Perrow

Quote from: therecordingart on April 18, 2011, 07:35:07 AM
Really cool. I'm probably way under thinking this, but your post gave me the idea of building something similar, but more modular in the sense of building effects in one form factor so they can me swapped in/out of the chassis "plug n play". Think API 500 series, but for stompboxes:

Been thinking the same:

My stompbox wiki -> http://rumbust.net

Keep this site live and ad free, donate a dollar or twenty (and add this link to your sig)

therecordingart

Quote from: Perrow on April 18, 2011, 09:16:27 AM

Been thinking the same:

Exactly!

Ice-9

Quote from: therecordingart on April 18, 2011, 09:32:26 AM

Been thinking the same:

Exactly!

I have also been thinking of something in a similar design to this. along the lines of an enclosure that hosts all the switches and and audio bus, with the effects and controls mounted to a plate which fits the opening in the enclosure, the effect would have connections on which plug into the audio buss ,effects this way could be interchangeable in the chain. heck i will draw a picture later its easier. maybe we could start a thread on this modular effect thang.
www.stanleyfx.co.uk

Sanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting the same result. Mick Taylor

Please at least have 1 forum post before sending me a PM demanding something.

therecordingart

Quote from: Ice-9 on April 18, 2011, 09:39:36 AM
Quote from: therecordingart on April 18, 2011, 09:32:26 AM

Been thinking the same:

Exactly!

I have also been thinking of something in a similar design to this. along the lines of an enclosure that hosts all the switches and and audio bus, with the effects and controls mounted to a plate which fits the opening in the enclosure, the effect would have connections on which plug into the audio buss ,effects this way could be interchangeable in the chain. heck i will draw a picture later its easier. maybe we could start a thread on this modular effect thang.

Draw it up. I'm really interested to see what you have in mind.

bluesman1218

I can't get to Thomeeque's links. I've tried Google Chrome and IE. May be a USA to another country issue. Any suggestions?
It's all about the tone!
Steve

POPA - Plain Old Power Attenuator AVAILABLE for PURCHASE soon!
Silvertone 1482 rebuilt - switchable Tweed, tube reverb, Baxandall + / Little Angel Chorus build, tons of Modded pedals

Thomeeque

Quote from: bluesman1218 on April 18, 2011, 10:32:39 AM
I can't get to Thomeeque's links. I've tried Google Chrome and IE. May be a USA to another country issue. Any suggestions?

Oh, strange, sorry to hear that >:(

Well, time to time mysteria.cz (my pages host) is simply down, but definitely there is no general "USA to another country issue".

Either try again directly (if it was just some momentary drop-out) or you may try to access my links via http://hidemyass.com/ service (if there is really some blocking involved).

T.

bluesman1218

Hidemyass.com  ..... very cool! Nice work. I have often thought of building my standard 3 or 4 pedals in one box. now I'm thinking, hmmm.......
It's all about the tone!
Steve

POPA - Plain Old Power Attenuator AVAILABLE for PURCHASE soon!
Silvertone 1482 rebuilt - switchable Tweed, tube reverb, Baxandall + / Little Angel Chorus build, tons of Modded pedals

Thomeeque

Quote from: Ice-9 on April 18, 2011, 07:02:42 AM
Thats a really nice build and well laid out controls. Love it.

Really cool..

Thanks yuo, guys, one simply can't get tired of these ;)

Unfortunately I have to report you to moderator for stealing my thread :icon_mrgreen:

Joking, interesting ideas indeed, T.

Quote from: bluesman1218 on April 18, 2011, 10:59:14 AM
Hidemyass.com  ..... very cool! Nice work. I have often thought of building my standard 3 or 4 pedals in one box. now I'm thinking, hmmm.......

So it was blocked..?! Weird.

Thanks for compliments, yep, it's a space (and stomp-count) saver :)

T.

GodSaveMetal

GOOOODNES!!! all I was seen for the past years!!! this is the solutions to my headaches!!! thank my friend it real usefull!!! that DP3T slide switch I found in my country!!! the problem is the 3080 IC its more expensive!!! but is great!!! thanks for the explanation to do the case!!! I do my cases from metallic surpluses: I cut them and plied for my personal use!!! it is a great idea man, your doing a great work!!!

Gordo

My God, that's a cool looking setup.  I wish my stuff looked this good.  The comp/microamp is intriguing in that I picked up a blown up Line6 DM4 distortion modeler because I thought it would be cool to have that much flexibility, but have found that the only setting I really use is the Microamp (with dynacomp) modeler.  I'm now back to the fact that a Jack Orman booster and a tweaked (Mark Hammer) Ross comp provides way more options than 16 digital fuzzes ever will.  I've never got a decent sound out of a Big Muff so I might have to rethink that too.

Nice job and thanks for providing all the files. 

Oh and I can't believe anyone has the patience to cut out a slide switch.  I'm not worthy....
Bust the busters
Screw the feeders
Make the healers feel the way I feel...

linny1982

i like this. might give something like this a try since i haven't made anything for a while

space_ryerson

Tomas, the more I think about the Bakery, the more I like it. It's really well thought out.

Thomeeque

Roberto, Gordo, Andrew, Tim - thank you very much for the compliments :)

Quote from: GodSaveMetal on April 18, 2011, 01:27:18 PM
that DP3T slide switch I found in my country

Actually, they sell similar DP3T slide switches quite commonly - problem is that dimensions slightly differ type to type and you could have problem to get one which will fit exactly to my PCB - but in the worst case you can use short wires between switch and PCB or don't use the CLNMOD_PCB at all (it is so simple that you could wire it directly on switch lugs).

Quote from: GodSaveMetal on April 18, 2011, 01:27:18 PM
I do my cases from metallic surpluses: I cut them and plied for my personal use

Great! I could give you precise box dimensions if you want me to, but IMO it's more fun and value to design your own box if you are able to build it for yourself (I used what I was able to buy).

Quote from: Gordo on April 18, 2011, 05:12:53 PM
I'm now back to the fact that a Jack Orman booster and a tweaked (Mark Hammer) Ross comp provides way more options than 16 digital fuzzes ever will.

Just one very important note for potential builders (maybe you see it Gordo, but just for the record and for the others):

Compressor in my Bakery is used only in Clean Channel.

It's a let's say "weakness" of my design, price paid for simplified switching (as I said, it's adjusted to my needs, and I use compressor only for clean sounds), different wiring / switching would have to be introduced to use it in OD channel too.  

If you want all possible combinations, consider e.g. simple chain with relay switching and some sort of preset control.

Switching / control philosophy is really first thing you should thing about when designing multi FX (well, maybe after or side-by-side with deciding what FXs you want there :D).

I've never got a decent sound out of a Big Muff so I might have to rethink that too.

Well, honestly, I needed to get used to it for a while too - I was always using tube or tube-like distortion before and it is simply different. I "play" Gilmour in small PF revival band so I've just forced myself to use it when he uses it - and now I like it! :) There is huge difference between living room volume level and the rehearsal/gig volume level, where it sounds really great.

Oh and I can't believe anyone has the patience to cut out a slide switch.  I'm not worthy....

Yep, I hear you, but it's not that horrible once you master it little bit actually (I've done four of them for my EM1022 flanger before so here it was just relaxing little job ;)) - you need proper files too!

Good luck, T.