News:

SMF for DIYStompboxes.com!

Main Menu

Where to buy

Started by DonB, April 30, 2011, 06:54:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DonB

Im having trouble locating the different parts (caps/res) to make some pedals. Where do you guys buy your parts from.

Im in aust also so international shipping would help.

boogietube

Pedals Built- Morley ABC Box, Fultone A/B Box, DIY Stompboxes True Bypass box, GGG Drop in Wah, AMZ Mosfet Boost, ROG Flipster, ROG Tonemender, Tonepad Big Muff Pi.
On the bench:  Rebote 2.5,  Dr Boogie, TS808

HOTTUBES

vendettav

'nuff said, I'll only add that i'm dealing with banzai and they are qutie nice and friendly :)
check my music HERE

Shredtastic psycho metal!

mremic01

Tayda Electronics - Very cheap and they ship quickly. Their selection is pretty limited though, and you won't find everything you need.

Futurlec - Very cheap, but shipping takes several weeks. They will also hold your order for months if things are out of stock, and they won't tell you unless you email them and ask. Their selection is better than Tayda though. Good place to stock up on resistors.

Small Bear Electronics - Has pretty much anything you could want for effect building. They're a smaller operation and it takes them about a week to ship. Steve posts here and his customer service is very good. Some of the prices are very good while some things are more expensive.

Pedal Parts Plus - Less variety than Small Bear, but prices are comparable.  Sometimes they can be cheaper. For example, their resistors are priced at about 8 cents whereas Small Bears are 20 cents. They ship quickly and their shipping prices are quoted very very high due to issues with how they calculate it, but then they refund you the difference between what you paid and the actual shipping.

Mammoth Electronics - I haven't bought from them yet, but they seem to have decent stuff at comparable prices to Small Bear and PPP. The shipping cost is what's been prohibitive for me though.

Effects Connection - Not a whole lot of variety for components, but free shipping if you order 50$ worth of stuff.

Ebay - Most of the stuff is overpriced. MF resistor bundles have been found to be carbon comp that have been painted over. But you can still find the occasional deal. I recently got 5 1590DD enclosures from 4site on ebay at about 12$ per box with free shipping. That's the cheapest I've been able to find them.

Edit:

Since you're in Australia, I'd recommend Futurlec. I think they ship from Australia and Thailand.
Nyt brenhin gwir, gwr y mae reit idaw dywedut 'y brenhin wyf i'.

darron

i don't think that anybody gave you any information in australia?

altornics are great and they are in every state:

www.altornics.com.au

rs component have a massive catalog and free shipping on all orders:

http://australia.rs-online.com/

failing that there's sucky jaycar

www.jaycar.com.au

failing that just lookup electronics in the yellow pages, where are in australia, there are shops everywhere. there's no need to order stuff in through the post.....

have fun (:
Blood, Sweat & Flux. Pedals made with lasers and real wires!

mistahead

Also au.element14.com - previously Farnells.

These guys have been great - back up in regional NSW in AU they would still only take 3 days to get anything they had in stock worldwide to me most of the time.

nomorebetts

I'm in Australia too. 

You got to hit up Tayda (now stocking 3pdt's)

And pedalpartsaustralia.com is worth a look. Especially for enclosures as you'll save on postage compared to getting them from overseas.
I like Big Muffs! and I cannot lie, you other brothers can't deny...

DonB

Thanks for the help guys. Will look into them.

DonB

Had a look at the aussie sites and as i expected they are missing alot of the parts i need to make the Dr Boogie i was thinking of doing. Was going to use the chunk chunk board.

Another option i have is a boogie kit from osCommerce.

mistahead

Between Element14 and Jaycar, with the odd specialty from Smallbear, I've not had too much of a problem... but I've neither built that circuit nor some of the more esoteric out there...

But if it works for you - do it!

darron

stay away from jaycar if you can. their prices and quality is horendous.. as well as stock quantities... altronics craps all over them

well... IF you are going to complain about the one store not having everything, i source my parts from about 8 suppliers to make one pedal.... but if you just wanted to use jaycar they have everything to make a BSIAB2 except j201's, so you'd have to use an mpf102 perhaps. the rest is in there
Blood, Sweat & Flux. Pedals made with lasers and real wires!

mistahead

For the most part I agree with you on Jaycar being expensive - hence why I didn't initially recommend it. One thing worth 2c is that Jaycar are the only mob really doing DIY/Component electronics out in the regional centres - DSE long since sold out of the market back up in Wagga (where I'd spend the last 5 years) leaving only a Jaycar reseller. Mind you the store owner was one of the muso's I used to look upto in high school (older kid lol) so would bend over backwards to get my parts!

I bought my JFET's from smallbear - but I was grabbing their caps kit, tranny kit, a couple of rangemaster NOS parts and a bunch of other stuff at the time...

Yes I'm green, yes I'm happy to support those who are local where possible - just getting harder and harder to justify it in AU!!

Toney

mistahead

Sold - if they have it I will be buying it from them
Sorry forum upkeep - we're an island surrounding by dodgy manufacturers and excessive shipping.
:icon_sad:

Toney