Author Topic: Line6 Tonecore module repair  (Read 2186 times)

au_loki

Line6 Tonecore module repair
« on: May 05, 2011, 08:29:15 AM »
Just wondering if anyone has successfully resurrected one of these little beasts (enough of them die without warning)
My EchoPark module has died and I might just have the schematics (shhhhh!!)
All that happens is a red light on and no signal through the pedal and no amount of foot switching does anything.

Looking forward to your success stories.
Later au_loki

roseblood11

Re: Line6 Tonecore module repair
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2017, 02:29:55 PM »
Same problem here.
My Echo Park makes strange howling noises, no delay signal at the output. The LED is flickering green. I combined various tonecore docks with various modules, so I'm sure that the problem is in the module, not the dock.  I'd like to repair it, but I have no idea, where to start...

roseblood11

« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2017, 03:58:08 AM »
Update: my Echo Park isn't dead completely, it makes some weird noises, sometimes even delay repeats.
If I use tap tempo, the led shows the corrects speed. But if I touch the time or modulation pots, or the 11-way selector (which is a pot as well), the led starts flickering very quickly, almost invisible.
I know that the module only contains a MCU that reads the pots, which  are all wired as voltage.dividers between +3.3v and gnd, the wipers go to the control inputs of the mcu.

Is it possible that all the strange behavior could be caused by a dirty or defective pot? These 9mm Alphas collect a lot of dirt and you can't clean them...

Digital Larry

« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2017, 08:33:40 AM »
It does kinda sound like pots are worn out.  I have two Tonecore developer modules which I never used and are loaded with the default, very exciting, used by your favorite really famous guitar player (cough) 2- band EQ (cough).  Probably doesn't do you much good though.  I'd vote for trying to replace the pots, if you can do that without destroying it.
Digital Larry
Holy City Audio - home of SpinCAD Designer
http://www.holycityaudio.com

ElectricDruid

« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2017, 05:51:32 PM »
Could it be bad connections? The Dock part has to read *all* the DSP code off the Module at start-up. If that process screws up, you'll get total nonsense, if you get anything at all. So a decent comms link (SPI, in this case) between the two is going to be vital.

HTH,
Tom

roseblood11

« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2017, 06:35:36 PM »
That was my first thought. But I treated all the contacts with de-oxyde and sand paper, nothing changed.
But it's true that the problem starts at power up, before I touch any pot.

I measured all the pots today, the seem to be ok. And because there is some kind of delay effect and modulation, I think that the DSP is working. And as there are changes when I move a pot, I think that the MCU is working as well.
I don't know what to try next.
I read many reports about broken tonecore pedals and it seems that the Echo Park has more problems than the others. Why could that be? It has an additional memory chip and maybe the pots get used more often than in a reverb pedal...?

aron

« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2017, 01:14:41 PM »
Are you guys running with dedicated power supply like a one spot?

roseblood11

« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2017, 02:28:27 PM »
No, but it should be a power supply with isolated outputs.